Sutton Staithe Moorings.

MauriceMynah

On 02/12/2022 at 11:27, floydraser said:

The BA has a difficult job in trying to attract people to the Broads and as part of that, has to make sure there's little to put them off.

I apologise to Floydraser since I realise I am quoting him out of context here : all the same, his sentence needs thinking about. 

I have been trying to make the point that, in my opinion, cruising the Broads is in danger of losing its appeal (private and hire) because of the lack of facilities and service, compared to what used to be offered in the "heyday" of the hire boat business.

Put the kettle on, have a coffee and spend a few minutes reading this, from the front page of Blakes catalogue of 1964 :

800511715_bkakes19641.thumb.jpeg.55bebeeed0d309f303ef13ffc997a4e9.jpeg

1949740324_bkakes19643.thumb.jpeg.1502590f2b9944a349e47532ff396c4f.jpeg

I assure you all that is true! Except it misses out Cockshoot Broad and the dyke moorings . . . 

Blakes also made significant yearly charitable donations to organisations such as the Wherry Trust, Windmills Trust, How Hill Trust and Norfolk Naturalists Trust.

My father was the chairman of Blakes when that brochure was printed and I was a director in my own time, of the late 70s and early 80s. 

The hire business has often been knocked as un-caring profiteers, especially in the national press but the reality is that we have always known very clearly that we are not just hiring boats : in fact we are selling the concept of a boating holiday on the Broads.  If the Broads were no longer a beautiful, tranquil and easy place to "play admiral" we would not be in business!  So we have always viewed the Broads as our "stock in trade".  If you run down your stock; you put your business in danger.

In that respect, don't let's forget that it was the boatyards, on their own, who designed, manufactured, installed and paid for, the system of holding tank toilets and pumpout stations.  It wasn't the BA or EA - in fact it was long before their time.

My point is : how does this compare to now?  Is the Broads still as wonderful a place to come on holiday as it used to be in those boom times of the 60s and 70s?  And who is now providing the infrastructure and service, that depended so much on the hiring companies, who now are no longer able to make the huge contributions that they used to?

It is not just "biodiversity" that is fragile these days, but the very appeal of a Broads boating holiday.  The concept of holiday cruising means that there must be a "destination".  If it becomes too difficult to achieve those destinations, which become too few and far between - to the extent that you have to get into your next mooring before 11AM each day in case there is no more space left, then tourism, and its revenue to the upkeep of the Broads, is in danger.

By the way, Happy Christmas.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Being incredibly lucky and having our own boat we cruise early and moor early (usually by 10.30 at the latest) as that’s how we like it so we can relax and do not a lot. 

If we hired I know we would feel we would want to get our money’s worth and want to cruise most of the day with mooring up for breaks in between. I remember that’s how my childhood holidays were. The northern broads would be too stressful for us now trying to find a mooring late afternoon so I know we would venture south or want to hire from the southern rivers and stay there but obviously hire companies are now far and few between there now. 

We have always tended to moor up early , both now as privateers and also when we were hirers.

Yes we have our favorite moorings and if we arrive in season (or out of season) ,being early, we are able to move on elsewhere .

Thank you John for you suggestion re weekend moorings , I must add though , I have no problems at all re the boats at Sutton now you have explained that they do not moor there on a permanent basis and they have as much right as anyone to be moored there on a weekend just as they do during week days .

As I’ve said before , the Broads are there for everyone to enjoy , those afloat , the fishing fraternity , day visitors and all .

All I would like to see us that those who do visit/use the Broads do so with respect , take their debris with them or dispose of it in a responsible legal way , and play within the rules where applicable .

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, annv said:

Sutton stathe would be easier to add more posts than many other moorings with benefits for all. John 

Not that easy really. Sutton Green has enough posts and points to service the available spaces on the green itself. To get power to the rest of the mooring, assuming there is spare capacity in the existing feed, would mean digging up the path around the mooring basin and along the path to the second part of the mooring.

I also suggest we wait until we see how much we are going to be fleeced for our tolls next year, before we start suggesting how the BA can spend tens of thousands more!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, annv said:

Sutton stathe would be easier to add more posts than many other moorings with benefits for all. John 

"If wishes were richies" there are sufficient posts at Sutton and most other moorings for the number of boats that can access them, while I use the facility where it's available there are bigger priorities to spend the tolls on.

Fred

53 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

"If wishes were richies" there are sufficient posts at Sutton and most other moorings for the number of boats that can access them, while I use the facility where it's available there are bigger priorities to spend the tolls on.

Fred

The tolls are under pressure. We will of course here cries of indignation. It has been for ever thus. They will of course increase.

Priorities, there will always be priorities, however they differ within our community.

My priorates might well differ from yours. May I request that you are more specific with regard to your ideal.

Vaughan's post embraced my life span. I recognise his concerns, I can also identify our mutual past. 

It is not that we hope to retrieve, it is that which we hope to retain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Wussername said:

The tolls are under pressure. We will of course here cries of indignation. It has been for ever thus. They will of course increase.

Priorities, there will always be priorities, however they differ within our community.

My priorates might well differ from yours. May I request that you are more specific with regard to your ideal.

Vaughan's post embraced my life span. I recognise his concerns, I can also identify our mutual past. 

It is not that we hope to retrieve, it is that which we hope to retain. 

I dont have an ideal there is no such thing I just live in the real world and enjoy what is around me that way I am not disapointed.

Fred

• Like 1

"The dyke dug by Blakes at Brundall is one of the most popular moorings on the south rivers." Which dyke was that?

When hiring on the north Broads I rarely moor for the night before 4pm, even in peak season. I plan where I want to go with contingency options in mind and I'm not bothered about missing out on the hot spots- I just enjoy the Ranworths and the Womacks for daytime stops instead. It's a myth that all moorings are taken by lunchtime, you just have to know where to go - Salhouse Spit anyone? Mudweighting? As a hirer I also have Richardsons, Herbert Woods and Barnes but I know this is expensive for boat owners.  Newbies of course, don't know where to go so I get Vaughan's concerns completely.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

That will be in the region of 9%.

That little?  I’m half expecting closer to 13%, maybe a bit more.  It’s usually the RPI plus a bit and with that hovering around 11% currently, I certainly don’t expect less.

I’ll hope to be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I apologise to Floydraser since I realise I am quoting him out of context here : all the same, his sentence needs thinking about. 

I have been trying to make the point that, in my opinion, cruising the Broads is in danger of losing its appeal (private and hire) because of the lack of facilities and service, compared to what used to be offered in the "heyday" of the hire boat business.

Put the kettle on, have a coffee and spend a few minutes reading this, from the front page of Blakes catalogue of 1964 :

800511715_bkakes19641.thumb.jpeg.55bebeeed0d309f303ef13ffc997a4e9.jpeg

1949740324_bkakes19643.thumb.jpeg.1502590f2b9944a349e47532ff396c4f.jpeg

I assure you all that is true! Except it misses out Cockshoot Broad and the dyke moorings . . . 

Blakes also made significant yearly charitable donations to organisations such as the Wherry Trust, Windmills Trust, How Hill Trust and Norfolk Naturalists Trust.

My father was the chairman of Blakes when that brochure was printed and I was a director in my own time, of the late 70s and early 80s. 

The hire business has often been knocked as un-caring profiteers, especially in the national press but the reality is that we have always known very clearly that we are not just hiring boats : in fact we are selling the concept of a boating holiday on the Broads.  If the Broads were no longer a beautiful, tranquil and easy place to "play admiral" we would not be in business!  So we have always viewed the Broads as our "stock in trade".  If you run down your stock; you put your business in danger.

In that respect, don't let's forget that it was the boatyards, on their own, who designed, manufactured, installed and paid for, the system of holding tank toilets and pumpout stations.  It wasn't the BA or EA - in fact it was long before their time.

My point is : how does this compare to now?  Is the Broads still as wonderful a place to come on holiday as it used to be in those boom times of the 60s and 70s?  And who is now providing the infrastructure and service, that depended so much on the hiring companies, who now are no longer able to make the huge contributions that they used to?

It is not just "biodiversity" that is fragile these days, but the very appeal of a Broads boating holiday.  The concept of holiday cruising means that there must be a "destination".  If it becomes too difficult to achieve those destinations, which become too few and far between - to the extent that you have to get into your next mooring before 11AM each day in case there is no more space left, then tourism, and its revenue to the upkeep of the Broads, is in danger.

By the way, Happy Christmas.

No need to apologise Vaughan but to try and "re-adjust" the context: I can fully see the appeal of the Broads hire craft of today - sleek, modern etc. But assuming the Broads are doing nothing wrong, they are still up against holidays abroad where people are waited on hand and foot in constatnt glorious weather. The pandemic showed us that people are still attracted to the Broads but now they have a choice it's back to normal. 

So the problem surely is, how to compete with the alternative holiday styles.

From what I've read on this forum over the years (listen to me; I sound like an old hand! - Don't answer that!) I would say plentiful moorings with easy access to public houses should help. And free use of paddleboards (included in the hire) but only until the fashion changes, then free use of whatever replaces them.

But thats me trying to judge what others would want, which is why I wouldn't want the job thanks! :default_sailing:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wussername said:

It may not disappoint, however, do you not question? Or, accept?

As one of older generation who had nothing and expected nothing I grew up watching, listening and reading to improve myself, interpreting that information I learned not to waste time or energy on things I had no power or influence over whether I agreed with them or not, instead I put that energy into areas that improved mine or the lifes of those around me.

Fred.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, floydraser said:

So the problem surely is, how to compete with the alternative holiday styles.

As it ever was! One of the difficult jobs for Blakes and Hoseasons was to persuade their owners that they were not in competition with each other!  There was a lot of "keeping up with the Jones's" around the yards, which meant everyone spent too much money on extra luxuries, gadgets and nick-nacks, when they should have been spending it on better marketing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, marshman said:

The dyke is almost opposite the western entrance to the Broad - almost goes up to the railway line!

I guess it was dug on land that was leased - long since full of private boats! No doubt someone will know who owns it!!!

You mean Bells dyke then, I'm sure it's now owned by Bell boats.

2 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

You mean Bells dyke then, I'm sure it's now owned by Bell boats.

Going by the name, quite possibly!  I also thought it was owned by Colin Chapman of Lotus, who also owned the Moonraker building yard.  It certainly didn't start out as a boatyard - it was dug out by Blakes at about the time they were re-opening the navigation across Surlingham Broad. Quite an expensive job too, all quay headed, with a Blakes flag on a pole.

• Like 1