Brilliant

Polly

RONDANAY is up for sale again polly

the gentleman who bought her in 2013 passed away a couple of months ago

it is here,

https://www.wayfordmarine.com/advert-category/motor-boat/

Edited by gancanny
link not working

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Paul, a piece of glass is good and easily replaced when it becomes blunt! 

I've tried glass, razor blades, stanley blades but nothing's as quick or gives as good a finish as a properly honed scraper. Nothing else can get that hooked burr which is the all important cutting surface. Despite the name a good scraper actually cuts, rather than scrapes.

I inherited my fathers full set of Record scrapers, straight, bevelled, gooseneck, concave and convex, all in their leather roll with sharpening file and honing tool . Still use them regularly.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Paul said:

I've tried glass, razor blades, stanley blades but nothing's as quick or gives as good a finish as a properly honed scraper. Nothing else can get that hooked burr which is the all important cutting surface. Despite the name a good scraper actually cuts, rather than scrapes.

I inherited my fathers full set of Record scrapers, straight, bevelled, gooseneck, concave and convex, all in their leather roll with sharpening file and honing tool . Still use them regularly.

Hands on skills like yours are a rapidly dwindling resource. The IBBTC at Oulton Broad is hopefully training people of ALL ages, some senior, to develope these much needed skills, so we can carry on seeing traditional boats and boatbuilding on and around the Broads and around the country.

I say of senior age because my brother is doing the course at the moment, and he is 63.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Polly said:

I looked at the scraper, Paul. Why is it hard to maintain? 

Something Doug taught me...sharp tools and the right tools for the job. I have two sets of chisels, planes, scrapers, basically anything with a blade in it Pauline. I keep one lot on or around the boat and the other lot is either in my car boot or in my workshop at home. The ones on the boat have a habit of getting chipped and generally abused, so tend to be almost useless. If I need to do some serious work, then the chisels come out of the car boot...BUT I keep a very close eye on them as sharp chisels attract the eye of those who like to chop through nails or open paint or varnish cans with them! When I've finished with them...they go back in the car, which is locked! :default_tongue:

Sharpening woodworking tools can get to be a hobby all on it's own and generates it's own set of tools!

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good. Have you still got an air-cooled hull or has all the planking/ribs etc been sorted now? I have still got a bottle of Shepherd Neame Brilliant Ale  for you, so you can pour a libation over the bows before she goes back in the water.

• Like 2