Car Talk

LondonRascal

I'm sure it produces loads more CO2, brake dust etc.

We also have a local road, steep downhill with a bunch of humps and tables. So as you are going downhill, brakes are on and suspension compressed - so little movement left to absorb the bump when you get to it.

No wonder both me and my son have suffered broken springs on our cars.

19 hours ago, NeilB said:

Had 4 passengers in the back of a Capri once, steering was a tad light!!

Amateur, we were once due to go to Walsall's ground on coach, (late 1980's) not enough turned up to make it economical. We quickly hired a 12 seater minibus, all the hire firm had left, and all 25 of us piled in! The police were far from impressed when they stopped us on the outskirts of Walsall. Happy days. :default_cool:

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

He's not answered, must be busy tiling the seats.

But I did add the laughing emoji thingies.

Its challenge enough tiling Shower compartments on timber boats with all the movement etc, completed about four now.  Interior of a vehicle Really? :default_icon_e_surprised:

Griff

After the splendid job you did on the last timber boat, I am sure you could step up to the toughest challenge. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

That's Trevor Transit passed its MOT, however the nearside front brake pads are lower than the offside.  Inspector suspects a slightly binding brake calliper.  I'll be ordering two new front callipers and pads in the coming week then

Griff

Just ordered new discs and pads (Brembo) for my car,  they said they were fine when I had it serviced a few weeks ago but they are lipped so catches the pad when it releases and don’t sound great, just need a code reader to release the pads before I can change them. 

41 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

Just ordered new discs and pads (Brembo) for my car,  they said they were fine when I had it serviced a few weeks ago but they are lipped so catches the pad when it releases and don’t sound great, just need a code reader to release the pads before I can change them. 

Not sure what car you have but I changed the back brake pads on my Mercedes (C220D) and once I realised I couldn't push the pistons in with a G clamp (its been a while since I serviced my own car!) I found 'the hack' on YouTube that allowed me to get into the 'maintenance menu' via the controls on the steering wheel, to tell it to withdraw the pistons - easy peasy after that.

Here's the notes I took:

Rear Brake pad fitting mode

1)    Key in ignition – position 1

2)    Handbrake off

3)    Set screen to mileage 

4)    Press phone button & ok button together for 5 seconds

5)    Select Brake pad replacement

6)    Move to fitting position

7)    Leave ignition on – fit brake pads

8)    Once done – Exit fitting position – Press ok

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

That's Trevor Transit passed its MOT, however the nearside front brake pads are lower than the offside.  Inspector suspects a slightly binding brake calliper.  I'll be ordering two new front callipers and pads in the coming week then

Griff

Can they not be overhauled?

Garages don't seem to want to do it these days, but you can sometimes still get the seals etc. A while back I had a binding rear caliper on what is now Mrs OG's car.

The local garage I had been using for most work wanted to fit a no-name recon caliper.

I queried why they wouldn't just overhaul and got the usual spiel about how nasty car manufacturers are not letting them have parts these days.... I pointed out that I could buy the parts from the local Honda dealer myself for £20 if they wanted.

They weren't interested in doing it.

I one had a locked brake cylinder on the volvo, I eventually got it unlocked, clamping it in a vice didnt work, but 150 PSI air hose in the inlet finally got it to do something, I ended up splitting the two halves of the brake unit to clean it out, put it back together and it worked perfectly

5 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

What make of car is it - I have a full version Ross-Tech VCDS cable and software for all VW/Audi vehicles 

10 hours ago, Bikertov said:

You are welcome to borrow the cable if we can work out the logistics. The software can be freely downloaded and installed on a laptop - the cable will register itself to it. 

PM me to see if we can arrange something. 

I do have a vagcom cable but as I don’t own a laptop it doesn’t work with my iPad. I have downloaded Carley which with a Bluetooth dongle should do the job.  Thanks anyway. 

Hi Griff unlikely to be the calliper's to test calliper's stab brake pedal at 20mph if van pulls up even calliper's ok if not they would pull to one side. the side that is ok.  more likely to be pads rusted/sticking in housing,  file the runners and new pads on the edges, grease the touching faces with copper slip on reassembly, then drive up the road at 20mph pressing the brake pedal several times to bed the new pads in to the old discs, to attain a good pedal pressure. John

Hi Griff  I talk rubbish half me life and don't have an audience for the other half so it doesn't matter but that problem can also be caused by a U/S or dirty  ABS sensor on this new fangled modern kit. Normally if its a caliper you would notice it by the vehicle drawing to one side when driving  pulling to one side when  braking or a hot front wheel 

However a non functioning ABS sensor means that side the brake is applied all the time and the other side its on and off as many times as a lap dancers coat reducing the wear to the working side.

It is harder to notice this if you are a smooth driver.

Also Annvills theory is a good'n. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips / advice chaps re Trevor Transit.

I'll not be ordering owt in the near future, the mot brake test, all callipers were pulling up evenly.  Also during my own road tests it was not pulling to either side but braking straight.  What I will do is strip down each side, give the moving parts a good clean and treat with coppaslip and then see how we go.

The new s/steel exhaust with protruding pipes is not covering the stern in soot either, probably because there is a DPF fitted as standard

Zebedee - At last got all the documents together that BMW required, visited earlier today, spare key ordered at £67:00  They stated if it is is coded easily then they won't charge me the hours labour too - Here's hoping

Griff

• Like 1

Zebedee - Spare key procurement - Yesterday did not go well

Got to the dealership, out he came with new key, which did open the door, but it doesn't have the capability of disabling the alarm & immobiliser and as a result won't start the engine either!  About as much use as a chocolate fireguard

So, he said he would look into it and ring me in due course which he did later on in the day.  The upshot of their research is that they can no longer provide one.  2023 and BMW can't provide a spare key for one of their own marques - Sheesh (Or stronger words to that effect)  A full refund was offered and accepted but doesn't solve the issue

I have used my circle of contacts and have a number to ring going down the non dealership route - We will see

Griff