Mooring Collision

Bluebell

Yesterday we were moored at Ludham Bridge, just upstream from the demasting area. The kettle had boiled and coffee was on the go. Out of the corner of my eye an orange boat was looming close by, too close, too close by far. Their bow was at about 45 degrees to the bank and we were subjected to a scrape along the starboard side. I called out to the crew and they responded (too rude to repeat), and made off without stopping.

Now the good news, I phoned Richardson’s and explained what happened. They offered to visit at our home moorings to assess the damage. I suggested that as we were on the way to Stalham we could call in. We arrived this morning to be greeted by two members of staff (Tony and Carl). The damage was minimal as it turns out and within the hour a cut and polish restored Chiltern Lady to her usual pristine self. Thanks to Richardson’s for some good old fashioned service.

• Like 16

In fairness they were very apologetic on behalf of their hirers. I’m quite thick skinned, so I’m not too bothered about how the general public are these days. I don’t like it, but it is how it is. 

I expected Richardson’s would sort it out, and they did. A happy outcome.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bluebell said:

I called out to the crew and they responded (too rude to repeat), and made off without stopping.

Now the good news, I phoned Richardson’s and explained what happened. They offered to visit at our home moorings to assess the damage. 

Is it me, but Richardson's seem to top the list on this forum for hit or run's, or basically hits?

49 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

Is it me, but Richardson's seem to top the list on this forum for hit or run's, or basically hits?

It's the same old thing that you're more likely to have your car hit by a Ford Focus than a Bugatti Chiron.

Accidents happen, and most people will tell you that Richardson's are probably the best yard to be hit by. There are some others I would definitely not want to be dealing with.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I would have thought they would have apollogised to you for the abuse THEIR customers gave you too.

I'm sure BA River control  on on 01603 756056 would be interested to learn of the 'verbal'  , together with the boat's details.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, vanessan said:

I hope they managed to get some recompense from the hirers too. Well done Richardson’s. 

Very unlikely with the switch from refundable deposits to non refundable damage waivers, unless the party was one which met the criteria to lodge an additional cash deposit against safe return. I dislike this policy with a passion. Not only does it mean that the conscientious amongst us who return the boat as we took it over, without damage or third party claims are paying for those who, in a word couldn't give a toss, but it removes the incentive for all hirers to take care, In fact there are, sadly, those who think they are not getting value for money unless they do make use on this non refundable deposit. 

Accidents will always happen, what there are too many collisions caused by rank carelessness and the fault for that lies firmly at the door of the boatyards. 

• Like 3

Hmmm - behaviour aside I'm not sure I'd like to call that one. Look how long it takes an oil taker to stop / change direction - similar shape and relative power / displacement ratio to a canal boat ?

I have had low speed 'taps' several times when I've been forced to come to a near stop and lost steerage. Fully powered, thruster equipped boat helms sometimes forget we can't all manoeuvre as easily as them

10 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

Canal Boat Magazine

Here is an example of his writing https://www.canalboat.co.uk/canal-boats/steve-haywood-let-s-ban-the-bullies-1-6081716

Interesting! Like all his NO PLACE FOR comments, pity he can't practice them himself, that incident was deliberate and he should be banned from the waterways. I have 60yrs experiance of ships boats tugs and canals but I am still a hirer when on holiday

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RumPunch said:

Hmmm - behaviour aside I'm not sure I'd like to call that one. Look how long it takes an oil taker to stop / change direction - similar shape and relative power / displacement ratio to a canal boat ?

I have had low speed 'taps' several times when I've been forced to come to a near stop and lost steerage. Fully powered, thruster equipped boat helms sometimes forget we can't all manoeuvre as easily as them

Narrow boats do take a while to stop but there was no excuse of not being in control of the narrow boat and being able to steer it.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2