Corona Virus

Paul

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Unfortunately the media, in an effort to sell more papers, often use photos taken specifically to emphasise their point.  

The bbc news website currently has its main headline as ‘protesters don masks but defy advice on gatherings’. The accompanying picture is of a gathering of protesters in Australia (unless we have suddenly become overly sympathetic towards Aboriginals). No doubt some will be taken in. 

• Like 1

What are they protesting About ... It didn’t happen over here... I’m not Racist.. But it was in the USA..  yes it was bang out of order and the police officers are being dealt with... But why protest over here are system is balanced...  No one protested over poor British soldier Lee Rigby who was hacked to death in the street,...

Now all these protesters who are breaking the law who’ve been told to stay at home who are carrying on and stuff the coronavirus spreading because they want to kick off..  Dam right selfish.. They should respect the people in our own country who’s died from the virus And stay at home... And not jumping on the band wagon of a world wide media muppet show... 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, marshman said:

I loved that photo of crowded beaches the other day purporting to be in the UK - it wasn't it was somewhere abroad ( I forget exactly where! )

It perhaps proves the point that we hear, and see, just what we want to! 

Living in Dorset I can absolutely confirm, that many of the photos in the press of our beautiful beaches were unfortunatly very, very  real!

It was an utter nightmare down here last week, every man and his aunt seemed to descend upon Sandbanks and Bournemouth beaches. The crowing was bonkers! Never see anything like it before.

• Sad 4

It's probably not been seen by everyone yet but Lee Rigby's family are pleading that his name and image are not used in this context. He stood for equality and human rights and some people (NOT you ScrumpyJack) are using his memory not against the protests because of the virus risk but against the protest in a racial way.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

What are they protesting About ... It didn’t happen over here... I’m not Racist.. But it was in the USA..

That particular event did happen in the US but with you hand on your heart, can you assure me that black and white are treated with equal respect in the UK? 

Personally I regret that folk are regarded as black or white. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

What are they protesting About ... It didn’t happen over here... I’m not Racist.. But it was in the USA..  yes it was bang out of order and the police officers are being dealt with... But why protest over here are system is balanced...  No one protested over poor British soldier Lee Rigby who was hacked to death in the street,...

Now all these protesters who are breaking the law who’ve been told to stay at home who are carrying on and stuff the coronavirus spreading because they want to kick off..  Dam right selfish.. They should respect the people in our own country who’s died from the virus And stay at home... And not jumping on the band wagon of a world wide media muppet show... 

Just to point out the Family of Lee Rigby have asked people  not to use he's photos regarding these demonstrations  .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thats not the point I was making - the picture wasn't even here but they used it because it was a picture of a crowded beach and just because it was related to the article, they wanted you to believe it was here! And so most did! ( In fact I have remembered - it was said to be taken at Waxham Sands where the owners said they too had been inundated - so they used a library picture from elsewhere!)

And sorry Bexs, "your" beaches belong to everyone, just as the hills in the Lake District and the Peak District belong to us all, and used also by people from Dorset! Like the people of Southwold who want the money, but not the people; you cannot have it both ways!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

:default_icon_rolleyes:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, marshman said:

I loved that photo of crowded beaches the other day purporting to be in the UK - it wasn't it was somewhere abroad ( I forget exactly where! )

It perhaps proves the point that we hear, and see, just what we want to! 

So was that also the case last weekend, Southend ,Brighton beaches ,beauty spots  were packed with very little  social distancing. Or was that in another  country?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, marshman said:

Like the people of Southwold who want the money, but not the people; you cannot have it both ways!

But is Southwold gaining the money?  Perhaps a little but most of Southwold is shut up. My immediate neighbour has a normally popular food shop in Southwold and she tells me that at the moment she is just about holding her own but no more than that, despite the thronging crowds when the sun shines. 

what I see in all of this is a lack of respect.

If people respected each other no matter what race religion or political viewpoint, there would not be any of the problems,

If people respected nature and when they did visit the beaches (or anywhere) left it neat and clean as they found it, with no rubbish, there would be no problems.

basically all the issues stirred up by the media boil down to the lack of respect, for anything.

when I visit the broads, I respect the area, I respect the locals, and I respect the boat I am travelling on (at least I like to think I do).

I dont leave my rubbish lying around, because I like the area without rubbish, rubbish stays on board until it can be disposed of at the correct location.

I dont leave the boat in a mess, because I respect the yard and when I pick up my next boat, I want it to be clean and tidy.

I respect the locals, they live here, and I respect other visitors, they are there to enjoy themselves too.

• Like 14

Pete - I don't think that was exactly what I was trying to say!  I think my reference was meant to be more about the second home owners, who I suspect are the type of people who would use a food shop as run by your neighbour -  but it is the former who have brought more money to the area to enable that shop to flourish in normal times. Without them Southwold will certainly struggle, but I can see the day trippers bring  less benefits, and often more hassle, especially as councils are keeping many toilets shut!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, grendel said:

If people respected each other no matter what race religion or political viewpoint, there would not be any of the problems,

If people respected nature and when they did visit the beaches (or anywhere) left it neat and clean as they found it, with no rubbish, there would be no problems.

basically all the issues stirred up by the media boil down to the lack of respect, for anything.

when I visit the broads, I respect the area, I respect the locals, and I respect the boat I am travelling on (at least I like to think I do).

I dont leave my rubbish lying around, because I like the area without rubbish, rubbish stays on board until it can be disposed of at the correct location.

I dont leave the boat in a mess, because I respect the yard and when I pick up my next boat, I want it to be clean and tidy.

I respect the locals, they live here, and I respect other visitors, they are there to enjoy themselves too.

Very true,I think  in many ways,we sadly live in a throw away society. Someone else will clear up there waste.Whats the reason,I'm not entirely sure.Some of it is a lack of respect and discipline.How many times do we see it on the broads, often sadly as elsewhere.

1 hour ago, grendel said:

Before you can respect others you need self respect something that seems to be sadly lacking with to many now days.

Fred

• Like 3

Marsh man...

“And sorry Bexs, "your" beaches belong to everyone, just as the hills in the Lake District and the Peak District belong to us all, and used also by people from Dorset! Like the people of Southwold who want the money, but not the people; you cannot have it both ways!”

I said “OURS” not mine... 🤦🏻‍♀️

30 minutes ago, marshman said:

Scrumpy - how do you know that some of those very protesters are NOT NHS or care home workers? Would that not rather spoil the point you seem to be trying to make? 

As has been said before, a picture can tell a thousand tales... !

I’m sorry but I’m pretty sure No frontline NHS workers would gather in a mass crowd protest in this present time..

I don’t care what colour anyone is in this world. We are all EQUAL ..  I respect any race and anyone..

My point is in this present uncertain time is just have some respect. People are still dieing from this awful virus..  I personally have been effective by this virus after having it myself.. my wife has lost her uncle from it.. we’ve lost 2 family friends. And 1 serious ill in hospital now on a ventilator.  Also my cousin who’s gone back to front line ICU nursing..
So have many of you lost love ones and friends in past 11 weeks.. if you have your feel the same way as me...

I haven’t a problem with protests.. But not now .. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Because you believe here we have a balanced system and fail to see the protests are against everywhere that it does go on around the world.

Why don’t you treat it as balanced then ?? 

I do.. We are all equal at the end of the day. 

"Stay alert

We can all help control the virus if we all stay alert. This means you must:

stay at home as much as possible

work from home if you can

limit contact with other people

keep your distance if you go out (2 metres apart where possible)..."

Do we need a 'Charlie says' style ad campaign to get the message through, I don't think the current tv ads quite cut it judging by the behaviour of the animals.

there is now a new thread regarding the statue where this topic can sensibly be debated, if wished it can be moved into speakers corner where the rules of debate are even tighter. I will be tidying this thread and moving some of these off topic posts into the other thread once I have finished work for the day and have time to do it.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Paul said:

I know our threads drift with the prevailing breeze, rather like those flappy saily things so beloved by many of us, but maybe this drift is a little too far.

Time to "go about" perhaps?

well we should have gone about now, i have moved all the bouys and hazards to navigation to another river.

• Thanks 2

On 06/06/2020 at 12:07, grendel said:

You have gone from racism to the environment, they are two different arguments.

One is to do with colour, the other is to do with peoples lack of respect for nature that includes all nationalities.