Staying On Boats

colino

Ok I am still holding my breath... Richardson’s are the only big yard not to have made the announcement that they are opening on the 4th. 🤞

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

39 minutes ago, Ray said:

That's OK until you get 'stuck in a rut' and find yourself in the bathroom when you was heading for the kitchen 👍

Nowt to do with ruts in the floor, that's just an old age thing!

I'm getting a hi-speed stairlift fitted so I can get upstairs before I forget what I'm going up there for.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I suspect the removal of the 2 meter rule will enable sailing / Racing to take place... watch out for Horning regatta week . 1st to the 7th of August...

That's OK.  I've requested the below as an optional extra ! :default_biggrin:

Ram.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I suspect the removal of the 2 meter rule will enable sailing / Racing to take place... watch out for Horning regatta week . 1st to the 7th of August...

But the 2 metre rule hasn't been removed. What the Prime Minister actually said in his speech to the Commons today was (and I have emphasised the first and last sentences):

"Where it is possible to keep 2 metres apart people should.

But where it is not, we will advise people to keep a social distance of ‘one metre plus’, meaning they should remain one metre apart, while taking mitigations to reduce the risk of transmission.

We are today publishing guidance on how businesses can reduce the risk by taking certain steps to protect workers and customers.

These include, for instance, avoiding face-to-face seating by changing office layouts, reducing the number of people in enclosed spaces, improving ventilation, using protective screens and face coverings, closing non-essential social spaces, providing hand sanitiser and changing shift patterns so that staff work in set teams.

And of course, we already mandate face coverings on public transport.

Whilst the experts cannot give a precise assessment of how much the risk is reduced, they judge these mitigations would make “1 metre plus” broadly equivalent to the risk at 2 metres if those mitigations are fully implemented."

This quote from today's proceedings (https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jun/23/uk-coronavirus-live-latest-news-updates-pubs-restaurants-cinemas-and-museums)

is interesting, I wonder what point was intended to be made? Any ideas?

""Robert Goodwill, a Conservative, asks for an assurance that the pleasure cruiser sector will have to comply with guidelines that will be uniformly enforced across the country.

Johnson agrees with the need for this.""

(Yes it's the Guardian but it's only a quote, not an opinion 😀)

Just now, ChrisB said:

Until they get two or three pints onboard and all the mitigation measures will go out of the window.

You think it'll take that long Chris ☺ As they walk in the door it will go out the window, now there's a tortuous phrase 😀

• Like 1

Hi all,

Today's statement below, more details over coming days.

Following the Government announcement on 23 June regarding the easing of lockdown restrictions, the Broads Authority is pleased to welcome back private owners and hirers for overnight stays on boats in the Broads area from 4 July onwards.

Those who are planning to stay overnight on their boat or to hire a vessel must follow the Government instructions on social distancing and local safety information provided by the Broads Authority.

Please await an announcement on our website and social media tomorrow (24 June) with further information and details: https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news/coronavirus-covid-19

Best,

Tom

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ray said:

This quote from today's proceedings (https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jun/23/uk-coronavirus-live-latest-news-updates-pubs-restaurants-cinemas-and-museums)

is interesting, I wonder what point was intended to be made? Any ideas?

""Robert Goodwill, a Conservative, asks for an assurance that the pleasure cruiser sector will have to comply with guidelines that will be uniformly enforced across the country.

Johnson agrees with the need for this.""

(Yes it's the Guardian but it's only a quote, not an opinion 😀)

Cruise ships perhaps? I don’t recall anything being said about them today. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

P and O website says operations suspended until 15 October. Cunard - November. Don't expect a cruise anytime soon, especially one which visits multiple ports/countries!

Cruise ships hold no interest for me, other than looking at them in Dover Harbour. We have had a steady stream of visiting cruise ships for the last 12 weeks, P&O, Carnival, Disney to name just a few. (We have had one Disney ship permanently for the last month, it keeps being moved around to make room for others.) They stop for a couple of days usually then off they go again. 

• Like 1

A holiday on a cruise liner, never ever whilst I have a breath in my body, they are a hive of communicable illnesses, here’s what the CDC (Centres for Disease Control) have to say on the subject.

“The most frequently reported cruise ship outbreaks involve respiratory infections, GI infections (such as norovirus), and vaccine-preventable diseases other than influenza, such as varicella (chickenpox)“

So with so many respiratory type illnesses who in their right minds would pay to put there heads into the lions mouth and hope it didn’t bite them even if we didn’t have the pandemic of the coronavirus.

24 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

To finish the statement it said where the 2m rule can`t be observed!

and the point was Horning Sailing club can't observe the 2M rule, because the island is just too small..

So with it being relaxed to 1+ there is a chance sailing / racing may recommence.. (and it may recommence elsewhere, but with all the clubs that depends on the view of the committees).  The limitations being, the clubhouse, T bars, and toilets.

15 minutes ago, TheQ said:

and the point was Horning Sailing club can't observe the 2M rule, because the island is just too small..

So with it being relaxed to 1+ there is a chance sailing / racing may recommence.. (and it may recommence elsewhere, but with all the clubs that depends on the view of the committees).  The limitations being, the clubhouse, T bars, and toilets.

So why wouldn't they then limit the number of people on the island to just those who need to be there for a particular race? reduce the number of races, have larger time breaks between races, reduce the number of entrants to a race etc etc. Surely where possible the 2m rule must be observed even if that means doing things drastically different. Only where 2m cannot be reasonably accommodated then reduce to 1m+. Having recently spent 12hrs in a data centre with mask on the whole time I can tell you I would much rather stay at 2m and no mask than 1m+ 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TheQ said:

At the moment all sport is still restricted with no spectator involvement, the current relaxations allow enough why try and push the boundary's.

Fred

47 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

So why wouldn't they then limit the number of people on the island to just those who need to be there for a particular race? reduce the number of races, have larger time breaks between races, reduce the number of entrants to a race etc etc. Surely where possible the 2m rule must be observed even if that means doing things drastically different. Only where 2m cannot be reasonably accommodated then reduce to 1m+. Having recently spent 12hrs in a data centre with mask on the whole time I can tell you I would much rather stay at 2m and no mask than 1m+ 

The problem being with the 2 metre rule how do you man a two person sailing boat. How do you chose in a 400 member club who can race who can not?

There are on a Normal Sunday 4 race series,  if at the club or on the broad and two if a down river to a pub and back. each series includes at least 6 starts at 5 minute intervals  each start may have 10 boats or more. If you are all going for the same trophy who do you chose to allow in?

Then the other problems, 

The start finish line, we normally have a time keeper, officer of the day and assistant officer of the day all on a small platform and office.

Then there are the rescue boats, helm and crew rarely from the same family, having to rescue a third party. , 2M it's not possible unless the crew is sat right on the bow. 1 + it is, with the crew doning masks and gloves for rescuing people out of the water, as per ambulance crew..

1 minute ago, TheQ said:

The problem being with the 2 metre rule how do you man a two person sailing boat. How do you chose in a 400 member club who can race who can not?

There is actually a very simple answer to that one. Don't race yet! Businesses, those people who do what they do to earn a living and keep the economy going are facing all those sorts of challenges and having to make drastic and often expensive changes. No reason why the same doesn't apply to a leisure past time.

Have a raffle to see who can race, or divide the membership into 4 and give them their own smaller race weekends. Basically just think outside the box and most importantly keep the members safe!

2 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

At the moment all sport is still restricted with no spectator involvement, the current relaxations allow enough why try and push the boundary's.

Fred

i'm not trying to push boundaries, including allowing spectators in the club, there just wouldn't be room, even with 1+ allowances. it's sardine time in there during a Normal regatta day and at a normal weekend  a bit tight. It would purely competitors only and I can't think of a way of running the normal 7 seven nights of Social events during regatta week..