Any New Hiring Boats 2021

Andrewcook

8 hours ago, marshman said:

Its good job then, that he is not going to have  to rely on you lot hiring it then! 

However like almost all new boats, they will almost always let well which is probably a better indicator than your personal opinion!!! Opinions don't make money but hirings do!!!

Absolutely, I'm not a fan of lens designs to be honest, but what can't be denied is the fact they are fitted out to a very high standard and the duel steer boats offer fantastic accommodation. Quite a few have been built now so I guess that says all that needs to be said. 

• Like 1

Kind of related to this thread, I've seen a report on the BBC that uk holiday companies are experiencing a huge hike in 2021 bookings, some are reporting a 300% increase. With booking being rolled over from 2020 they have real concerns the demand is going to far outstrip supply. So it looks like a busy season on the rivers. I wonder if yards that have withdrawn boats from fleets will re think their plans and put the boats back on hire. We saw a couple of yards do this very thing last summer. 

8 minutes ago, andyg said:

Kind of related to this thread, I've seen a report on the BBC that uk holiday companies are experiencing a huge hike in 2021 bookings, some are reporting a 300% increase. With booking being rolled over from 2020 they have real concerns the demand is going to far outstrip supply. So it looks like a busy season on the rivers. I wonder if yards that have withdrawn boats from fleets will re think their plans and put the boats back on hire. We saw a couple of yards do this very thing last summer. 

It promises to be another bumper year for the brokers then, if they can get any stock to sell.  I was talking to someone at The Ferry House last year, who'd invested 40k in a boat as he and his family had been deprived of their usual long haul holiday.  His theory was if they liked it, all well and good, but if they didn't,  they could sell the boat and possibly lose what their holiday would usually cost.  Looking at the stock turnover at NBS & NYA, I think that the same view was shared by quite a few people.

14 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

It promises to be another bumper year for the brokers then, if they can get any stock to sell.  I was talking to someone at The Ferry House last year, who'd invested 40k in a boat as he and his family had been deprived of their usual long haul holiday.  His theory was if they liked it, all well and good, but if they didn't,  they could sell the boat and possibly lose what their holiday would usually cost.  Looking at the stock turnover at NBS & NYA, I think that the same view was shared by quite a few people.

My father and brother were talked out of buying a boat off alpha craft years ago, they were regular customers and Langford snr told my dad to keep his money in his pocket carry on hiring and let them deal with all the agro of looking after the boat. He told my father he'd be a lot better off by just carrying on as he was. He did and he was lol...as a family we have often talk about buying a boat, but sadly we all enjoy our trips to the sun to make it a viable investment. Neither my brother or me are mechanically minded or have any interest in DIY of any form, much to our wife's disappointment lol. So il stick with hiring 

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Davydine said:

She looks Lovely, Clive, are you planning any more hireboats or is that it now?

David

Hi David, 

this is a Sheerline 1050 we got from the Thames a couple of weeks ago, she is nice inside but just needs varnish and Heads doing, unfortunately all the handrails and mooring cleats were loose so headlining need to be removed to sort them,  she has had a hard life but we are on the case with the cosmetics. 

thumbnail_IMG_3940.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3937.jpg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, C.Ricko said:

Hi David, 

this is a Sheerline 1050 we got from the Thames a couple of weeks ago, she is nice inside but just needs varnish and Heads doing, unfortunately all the handrails and mooring cleats were loose so headlining need to be removed to sort them,  she has had a hard life but we are on the case with the cosmetics. 

Thank you Clive, I am sure she will look stunning once your team have fettled her.

David

• Like 1

It is interesting that this boat looks a great deal better in the actual moulding, than in the publicity drawing!

Also interesting that this is a pure inland waterways design, which would not also be marketed as "offshore".  It would only pass ERCD Cat. D, owing to the very low freeboard aft - minimum 40cm from the waterline is allowed, but not for Cat C.

A typical Broads design with a long flat keel for standing ashore in winter.  The hard chine design and flat bottom aft, in addition to the hull length, will mean very little wash at low speed, although there will be a certain amount of wave pulled up by the transom.  We can see that the hull is designed to bear a lot of weight forward, so the long deep keel will be a help, otherwise it would be difficult to steer in a straight line.  The wide beam and plenty of windows should mean plenty of space for comfortable accommodation and there will be a spacious and comfortable sundeck.

All in all, it should be a very nice boat, designed for its purpose.

I wonder though, how many (or few) of them will fit into the moorings at Neatishead?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Call me a "party pooper" but it seems unfortunate that boats are still being designed for the Broads, where anyone standing on the aft deck is out of sight from both helm positions.

Especially if it is the main access from boat to upper deck. I suppose the modern solution would be a reversing camera...

• Like 1

That's huge, theirs a few quids worth of glass going into that. I still think it's a re work of the early big ferry dual steers len built. Are the moulds still being made up at Brundall? Personally I'm not a fan, but bet that's going to make one very nice hire boat, Mr funnel doesn't normally turn out cheap looking boats and although I don't like the look of them, all the others of this design have been fitted out to a very high standard. Can see this being very popular.