Christmas Tv

MauriceMynah

I remembered a few months back I happened upon the The Bearded Explorer on youtube, a 'rural' explorer, and there is an interesting tour of Medlers scrapyard at Hevingham before it was cleared for development. Now, Christmas quiz time, can anyone id the broads cruiser from about 3 mins into the vid, the track mark deck, fridge, sink and engine seem to have faired better than the hull. Quite how it ended up there in the first place is baffling. The video is titled  'I Explore An Abandoned Scrap Yard And Found Some Rare Classic Cars!!' Enjoy and looking forward to ideas on what it was.

Just seen Dunkirk. What a film. It must have been the epitome of hell for those servicemen waiting to be rescued from the beaches. This was not a triumphalist war film. Far from it. Churchill's speech at the end of the film sounded hollow, when you saw what these poor guys had to go through. I've often thought about The Book of Revelations in the Bible (I'm not a bible basher), which prophesizes a hell to come. It was written a long time ago, but after the death of Jesus. Was it referring to these manmade tragedies where our humanity disappeared? Think of the inhumane treatment and murder of people in the concentration camps, the horrors of the Vietnam war, Dunkirk, terrorist atrocities like 9-11. Perhaps the hell it forecast was not otherworldly. Perhaps we made it ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On a Broads related note, I just watched 'Coot Club' and 'The Big six' on DVD. I can't remember seeing them before but I read the books many times as a child and ,locations aside*, they seemed to be a rather good representation of the books.

*I realise of course that the locations used couldn't be accurate as in the 80's most bore no resemblence to how they looked in the 30's and presumably safety would have been a factor for filming at Yarmouth(althought I'm not sure Reedham was much better!).

Hubby is quite happy watching some of the many football matches available across the various tv channels. I've been keeping up with the drama of Eastenders where they seem to be heaping misery in even more abundance than usual since coming back to our screens and building up to the Christmas and New Year stories.

We enjoyed The Wheel, Michael McIntyre's new show, and also Celebrity Who Wants to Be a Millionaire last night.

Other than that we have some regular YouTube vlogs to watch, and also like to pick up a series or two on Netflix. At present we're watching The Fall.

And then there's that good old fashioned thing called ... going for a walk!

• Like 3

We watched "Millionaire" last night and Tony was still fuming when we went to bed. I usually like Clarkson having an admiration of his  outrageous irreveverence even though he sometimes comes over as  a bit of an oaf.   However his crass ungraciousness towards Piers Morgan last night did him no favours at all.  He just looked immature and ignorant which was a pity. I thought Piers Morgan's tolerance was admirable as I'm sure if he had wished to do so he could easily have slapped Clarkson down but he rose above it with aplomb. Tony doesn't usually get out of his pram on issues like this but he was incensed at the inappropriate behaviour to  the point that he wanted to make  a complaint to ITV! He had forgotten all about it by this morning probably because it's his birthday and he was more cross about that!!

Carole

• Like 1

1 hour ago, addicted said:

We watched "Millionaire" last night and Tony was still fuming when we went to bed. I usually like Clarkson having an admiration of his  outrageous irreveverence even though he sometimes comes over as  a bit of an oaf.   However his crass ungraciousness towards Piers Morgan last night did him no favours at all.  He just looked immature and ignorant which was a pity. I thought Piers Morgan's tolerance was admirable as I'm sure if he had wished to do so he could easily have slapped Clarkson down but he rose above it with aplomb. Tony doesn't usually get out of his pram on issues like this but he was incensed at the inappropriate behaviour to  the point that he wanted to make  a complaint to ITV! He had forgotten all about it by this morning probably because it's his birthday and he was more cross about that!!

Carole

Well for what its worth I thought Clarkson was wonderful.   I cannot think of anyone I would rather take the pee out of , than Piers (his attitude of he can interrupt anyone at any time , it is not their opinion that counts it is his, his , his,  ) Morgan -  Spelt Big M  small Organ.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, addicted said:

Carole

Problem is there has been a lot of bad history between the two of them.

I believe it came to blows over PM's time at the Mirror newspaper.

But it seems they are friends now. Hence PM being on WWTBAM.

3 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Problem is there has been a lot of bad history between the two of them.

I believe it came to blows over PM's time at the Mirror newspaper.

But it seems they are friends now. Hence PM being on WWTBAM.

Apparently this is the story:

https://drivetribe.com/p/why-jeremy-punched-piers-KoFZugCLT_-NTQsmWmNAcQ?iid=cpo0BABjR6SK4pzWqWowRg

Personally I'm no fan of either of them, nevertheless may the best man win!

10 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

The America's Cup sailing on BBC2, wow, excellent, fascinating TV! Sailing boats approaching 50 m.p.h. makes for exciting viewing. Will the UK win or are they fielding yet another 'Sceptre'?

Oh dear, 

https://www.americascup.com/en/results

and go to: 

PRADA AMERICA'S CUP WORLD SERIES AUCKLAND

Still got to be worth watching the New Years races.

My parents used to have a Scottie  named Jamie who was addicted to t.v. He used to run in from the garden if he heard music from commercials that featured  dogs.  And when they disappeared from the screen used to run behind the set to look for them. I once recorded a Bond film that my father ( a  big fan of 007 films) had been unable to watch and it was arranged that when he cam over to collect Jamie  who had been staying with us   I would run the film for him.  I settled him in the lounge and put the film on for him and Jamiie snuggled down beside him to watch the T.V.However,  when it started Jamie walked off in apparent disgust, Well, he'd seen it already having been with us when we watched it the night before!

Carole

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Allen Milllyard is a humble man, he lived 20 miles from me in Berkshire and I meet him at a bike meet at the Ace cafe with the V8. We got to talking and he brought a non running Kawasaki Z1000 engine from me. He made a V8 1600cc and a V12 2300cc amongst others. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUYC0zWhNio

I watched this restoration with great interest. The restorer seemed to do a pretty thorough job. The only question I had at the end was why? In its day, the Ural Cossack was a badly built knock-off of a 1930's BMW design. Friends of mine bought them in the '70's  because they were very cheap but they were notoriously rust-prone and unreliable.   The chemistry the restorer used  to clean the various bits up was  an education in itself though. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SteveO said:

I watched this restoration with great interest. The restorer seemed to do a pretty thorough job. The only question I had at the end was why? In its day, the Ural Cossack was a badly built knock-off of a 1930's BMW design. Friends of mine bought them in the '70's  because they were very cheap but they were notoriously rust-prone and unreliable.   The chemistry the restorer used  to clean the various bits up was  an education in itself though. 

I enjoyed it more than most of the stuff on TV at the moment!

As someone who makes videos for Youtube and does restorations I can see that there has been as much effort (if not more) put into the making of the video itself as the restoration. Hence the truly excellent photography and attention to detail. There is probably more value in the video than the bike. I've seen something similar with the restoration of an old Zippo lighter found in Vietnam. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I enjoyed it more than most of the stuff on TV at the moment!

As someone who makes videos for Youtube and does restorations I can see that there has been as much effort (if not more) put into the making of the video itself as the restoration. Hence the truly excellent photography and attention to detail. There is probably more value in the video than the bike. I've seen something similar with the restoration of an old Zippo lighter found in Vietnam. 

Lipstick on a pig :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

You have to view some of the YouTube "resto" videos with suspicion. I have a feeling that some of the things they restore are subject to artificial neglect beforehand to make them look worse than they really are. With electrical equipment, a lot of the  "restoration" seems to be more about cleaning the item up and adding a load of brand new bits.  All still very entertaining though.

Not so much a resto as a complete repurposing of a Mini 1000

So - just take out everything Mini shaped that gets in the way of the new Celica 2L 4WD system and put it all back together. Quite a few episodes but the chaps doing the work are quite witty and relaxing to listen to.

Obviously a lot of Mini bits get sacrificed but the engineering and assorted bracketry that is fabricated is a joy to behold. Swap exhaust and three other brackets now dont fit. Build new brackets and the bottom engine mount doesn't fit. Build new engine mount and... Etc Etc.

Its still not finished but I am massively excited to see it done. 

• Like 1