Disposable Bbq Ban

Meantime

I see the Co-op are to ban the sale of disposable BBQs at 130 stores within National Parks due to the fire risks they pose. I wonder if that includes any Co-ops in or near Broadland? :default_norty: Off course by the mere fact that they are disposable and therefore very portable, no one would think to purchase near home and take one to a National Park, or even one marketed as one. :facepalm:

• Like 1

Not sure that people realise the damage that these can do in the hands of a numpty. Yes they are portable, but if this approach means that a few less are used, great move by me. I live in the New Forest and even though there are hundreds of do not use signs we still have several fires per year due to ignorance.

There was a picture on a Broads FB group last night of a member having a bbq, with his disposable bbq resting on two rhond anchors on wooden quay heading.  Possibly better than directly on the quay heading, but doesn’t metal conduct heat?

You can or could get a foldaway metal tray to lift the foil tray of the ground, it stops tray burning/scorching grass and lets you slide a plate underneath to keep already cooked food hot, mine came with a barbecue tray folded inside i dont know if they still do them but one of my better buys and has been very useful. John

As far as I can tell this is a policy from the Manchester based co op ( the big one, ) It will have no impact in co op stores around Broadland as they do not own or operate them . Broadland co op stores are mainly East of England co op and Central England co op stores.

Whilst I fully understand their reasoning behind the cessation of sales of disposable barbecues it is yet another example of what seems to be the modern mindset of punishing the majority for the behaviour of a minority.

That said I for one dislike the single use barbecues and cannot understand why people don’t buy the folding barbecues and a few single use bags of briquettes , they work better and cost less in the long run 

78B46340-DC47-4EFE-A77A-6FEE03DC5F69.jpeg

FA7B60E1-CED7-49E6-AD9B-DBD35EEDC504.jpeg

• Like 6

Can’t understand the need to go back in time to cook over an open fire, choke your neighbours with smoke and offer food inna bun when you have a great grill in the boat. 
look forward to the time you stop using your washing machine and trot down to the stream to rub your clothes against a rock to clean them😀

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

Makes me smile,every summer many people, mainly men have to have a BBQ.yet most of the year they don't even make toast.Fire the BBQ,an hour later start cooking,unless you can't wait and cook over flames and smoke.Lovly.Do I own a BBQ no.Each to there own I suppose.I will get a Pizza oven in the new house.

You would not believe how many people (not all boaters but many are) just empty hot bbq straight into the river. The increase in perpetrators has been noticeable at Beccles Yacht Station

The ash slick floating round the yacht station on a regular basis is always a give away. Must be 15 or more so far and we ain't been out of lock down that long...

• Sad 1

Each to their own , but I thoroughly enjoy a barbecue , plus there is the added bonus of the apres cooking embers working as a heating on cooler evenings whilst I enjoy a glass or two waterside.

I always wrap the ash in newspaper the morning  afterwards and dispose of in the bin 

• Like 6

After being let down by a disposable BBQ that had been "nobbled" by the accountants - the charcoal ran out before the food was cooked - I invested in a tabletop gas BBQ, which we keep on the boat. It has lava rocks under the grill, so you still get the BBQ taste, but without all the smoke and fuss. This satisfies my need to annoy any lurking pleasure-vampires by cooking on the riverbank a couple of times a year. the unit stays on the boat in its own locker and the gas cylinder and regulator live in the gas locker when not in use. 

• Like 1

As with many other things in life its not the BBQ that`s the problem but some owners/users and that applies in domestic as well as rural locations, we enjoy a BBQ on occasion but always use a purpose built one on solid ground and only in locations where this can be achieved safely and downwind of others.

The lack of consideration and application of common sense is not confined to BBQs and while a relatively new phenomenon in itself it is just part of the declining standards we have seen in recent decades with the increase in disposable income, also it is not only hirers that are the culprits.

Fred

• Like 7

On 17/06/2021 at 16:40, CambridgeCabby said:

That said I for one dislike the single use barbecues and cannot understand why people don’t buy the folding barbecues and a few single use bags of briquettes , they work better and cost less in the long run

On the down side I recently resprayed it black whilst on the green at Coltishall and left a black silhouette on the grass...thus defeating the object...Oops..:default_blink:

Precisely what we have Simon, but we find it easier to put either one large or one or two disposable BBQs inside, far easier to dispose of...came with the boat purchase.

20210621_120343.jpg

20210621_120312.jpg

20210621_120111.jpg