Press Button A For Those Of A Certain Age.

ChrisB

I saw this on BBC Look East last night and could hardly believe it, on the same day that boat owners have received a whacking increase in their river tolls through the post.

How does this relate to the scandal of a few years ago, when a member of the BA actually got removed during a petty planning dispute over the "change of use" of a village phone box?

And yet now, the Good Doctor in his obligatory and rather silly hat, can stand there and suggest what a great way it is, to spend our money?  On silly clock-work bird noises?

I think this is a scandalously frivolous insult to our intelligence.

• Like 6

Wow.

Imagine if there was some sort of service where you could identify the species of bird you see and hear. What a good idea that would be. Shame no-one has thought of such a thing.

PS. Don't google the Merlin app whatever you do! Otherwise this scheme might to start to look like some sort of white elephant. Fortunately, I am not a cynical person so would not suggest such a thing.

Not such a bad idea in principle though, kids (and their parents) will be diverted by a bit of touristy stuff that was cheap and doesn't impact the locality negatively.

No cost to the Nav budget and a bit of thinking outside the box, a definite improvement on the Acle plan! 🙂

Screenshot_20230303-142521.png

• Like 1

oh dear, does that mean the broads authority will start charging for thurne dyke moorings now, I pity the poor ranger cooped up in their new office all day, but for only £1,  bargain, so can we all club together for a replacement tourist office at Ranworth, then they wouldnt need to charge there.

• Haha 3

In the Broadcaster sent out with  my ' great value ' toll renewal it says that charges at Reedham and Ranworth are proposed, other areas the charge is specified. Brace for some back tracking I think.

Year 7 grandson's geography  this term covers tourism, Norfolk Broads is listed with the real National Parks.

He did explain to the teacher it is only a member of the NP family and the title can only be used for marketing purposes.

He got awarded two house points for extra knowledge. :default_biggrin:

He does listen to his grandad sometimes.

• Like 7
  • Love 5

49 minutes ago, grendel said:

oh dear, does that mean the broads authority will start charging for thurne dyke moorings now, I pity the poor ranger cooped up in their new office all day, but for only £1,  bargain, so can we all club together for a replacement tourist office at Ranworth, then they wouldnt need to charge there.

That was my immediate reaction £10 to moor at Potter Heigham now, as the BA have an office on the Thurne.

I wonder if you can make free phone calls by tapping out the numbers on the receiver rest like some of us did as kids.

Alternatively, having just received the exorbitant toll charge, can we press button B and get out money back! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, MargeandParge said:

They had to let him down gently from his Acle project or he would have had a tantrum. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

Maybe if they could find room for a tea/coffee/drinks machine and a vending machine for sandwiches and cake, they could resubmit the plans for their Acle Debacle.

• Haha 1

We have a few former phone boxes in surrounding villages to us which have been converted to mini lending libraries stocked and run by volunteers , one ,in the village of Fowlmere , spent a short period as the smallest licensed premises in the country when it opened as after house for a charity event .

The red phone box should , I believe , be granted some kind of listed building status so as to stop them being removed and sold off , they are the epitome of “Britishness” and an icon .

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

We have a few former phone boxes in surrounding villages to us which have been converted to mini lending libraries stocked and run by volunteers , one ,in the village of Fowlmere , spent a short period as the smallest licensed premises in the country when it opened as after house for a charity event .

The red phone box should , I believe , be granted some kind of listed building status so as to stop them being removed and sold off , they are the epitome of “Britishness” and an icon .

As should the old AA phone boxes that used to be seen at the roadside years ago and don’t start on the Police phone boxes!  Where did they all go?  There aren’t that many Doctor Whos.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

As should the old AA phone boxes that used to be seen at the roadside years ago and don’t start on the Police phone boxes!  Where did they all go?  There aren’t that many Doctor Whos.  🤷‍♂️

We all got mobile phones, that's where.

More reliable, and don't double up as toilets and stink of urine :default_icon_e_ugeek: