My Day

LizG

20 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Next Monday we are staying  in Cornwall  for a little break,

Hope you have a wonderful time and a good meal at the Paul Ainsworth restaurant. Luckily, the weather seems to be improving. The only time we visited Cornwall (September 1992, when our eldest was almost 2) we had showers every day. Sun too, but it was a bit difficult to know where to go each day, considering the weather. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Booked in for lunch on the Wednesday one of Paul Answorths Restaurants.

Pray tell which one I will look out for you although we are in Dartmouth for 3 nights from Sunday home that Wednesday 

love all of Padstow eateries but confess Rick Stein Seafood my favourite 

Caffè Rojano Mediterranean Restaurant, Padstow. He has five or six Restaurant.I would  have gone to  Mariners,but expensive about  £80 each for set menu for lunch.The Caffè overs smaller  plates if you wish.Think Rick Stein was booked out that week.Would like to visit  Nathan Outlaws,think not enough  time.Wait and see.Also rude not to have cream tea,and pasties at some time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snunn said:

Pray tell which one I will look out for you although we are in Dartmouth for 3 nights from Sunday home that Wednesday 

love all of Padstow eateries but confess Rick Stein Seafood my favourite 

Try the Start Bay Inn at Torcross a must for people who like fish, not too far from Dartmouth.

This long weekend has mostly been taken up with receiving relatives. However before and after they were here boat work was carried out.

Last weekend the boat was lowered on to a sealant covered keel. Much squeezed out sealant was removed then. Also a lift bracket was roughly made.

This weekend the lifting bracket was tried, modified, tried again and is now successful. It needs tidying up .

After that time was spent removing more squeezed out sealant, giving the area a sanding and then smoothing the join with filler.

I'd spotted the step ladder had lent against the boat, not good, so I need to fit the fendering. This is about an inch and a half wide white rubber, after fixing on, a blue half moon insert is pushed in.

So the hull was given quick light sanding then a top coat of paint ready for fendering in a fortnight.

Fortnight? Yep next weekend will be spent counting the 3 Rivers Race competitors go by on Hickling Broad.

13 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Try the Start Bay Inn at Torcross a must for people who like fish, not too far from Dartmouth.

We already have lovely as you say our friends live in Hope Cove so visit area often , ok not lately ☹️☹️☹️

4 hours ago, snunn said:

We already have lovely as you say our friends live in Hope Cove so visit area often , ok not lately ☹️☹️☹️

We have holidayed at Hope Cove for over 30 years, we started with two weeks when the children were small and went every year since, but have not been there for about four years the same goes for our canal trips.

well yesterday didnt go as planned, woke up, decided maybe i didnt need to go to the boot fair, got a cup of coffee, looked outside it was such a nice day i changed my mind and went to the boot fair, only bought a lathe carriage and cross slide, then came home.

Started mocking up the drive mount for my 13" lathe, i was doing this using meccano to get the geometry, but have some 1" angle iron to actually make the mount. I had started printing a 3d part for a friend before I went to the boot fair, and 4 hours later it was complete, o in a break after lunch I decided to run the part over to his house.

about 2 roads from his house i went round a corner and went to change gear, nothing, the gear lever would just go forward and back, no side to side and i was stuck in first gear, well I decided I would take  look when i got to his house, he wasnt in so I popped the part through his letter box, and had a quick look at the car, nothing visible, and of course the gear change mechanism at the gearbox end is buried deep in the engine bay under the air intake ducts and air filter box.

resigned myself to driving home in first gear, but had a thought when i got a couple of roads away, so pulled up, wrestled the air intake duct from the air filter box and front grill, and though I still couldnt see, i could get a hand into the right area, feeling around revealed thatindeed one of the linkages had come off at the gearbox end, I wasnt sure if anything was missing as the pin seemed a lot smaller than the hole in the rubber bushing, I could feel a groove for a spring clip, but there wasnt one of those either.

I figured i had nothing to lose, so just popped the oversized bush over the pin, expecting to have to stop and repeat when it came loose, by some small miracle i made the 15 miles home, minimising gear changes a much as possible.

then I had to bend my thoughts to fixing it, all i needed was a new rubber bushing and the correct clip, but no, you needed to buy a complete cable set to get the bushing, and you couldnt buy the clips.

I went back out and measured the two parts as best I could by feel, the pin was about 8mm and the hole through the bush 15mm. I reasoned I could turn up a bit of brass to do the job, but it would need a wider flange on top to stop the bushing just sliding off of it, so a quick half hour on my small lathe with a chunk of 1" brass, and I had my part, a 5 minute hunt for my box of assorted circlips, and I had my clip, as always if you take just one you think is right you will need a different size, so i took the whole tray and picked right the first time, pushed the brass part into the hole in the rubber bushing, perfect fit, with the flange wide enough to prevent it slipping off, put this assembly over the pin, my only concern was had i made the part short enough to get the circlip on, and yes i had, circlip fitted the car was now fixed, so it was time to reinstall the air intake ducting and the gaiter around the gearstick, that I had pulled apart to see what had broken, this too went remarkably easily, if anything, looking at what I could see of the other gearshift cable (that translates the side to side movement of the stick, I have made a better job than the OEM one as the only thing holding that in place is the spring clip, no flange to stop the cable end sliding off the rubber bushing

• Like 7

Started the day with good intentions, but sadly my garden fork succumbed to recent over use!!  We have what I’d describe as an old fashioned ironmongers in Watton.  I’m trying to work out how they will respond to my question of fork ‘andles when I call in!

81049A7C-0EA6-420D-9874-3CB1A46017A8.jpeg

• Haha 7

So not satisfied with me knocking my pan out in the garden yesterday, the wife kindly 'allowed' me to wash her new (to her) car today.  I'm not yet allowed to drive it - just keep it clean.  I'm so grateful. :default_norty:

I've decided that I'm having a day off tomorrow, so the BM is ready in the garage for a trip to the boat in the morning to tidy Norfolk Lady up for the weekend.  Table and mooring booked for food at The Ferry House on Sunday afternoon and the weather is looking promising.

IMG_4718.jpeg

IMG_4731.jpeg

IMG_4732.jpeg

• Like 2

But for the roadworks on the aA47, had a pleasant ride up to Brundall.  I had every good intention of doing some polishing, but the weather is so good, I’m contemplating keeping that to a minimum and enjoying some downtime!!

50E5AFE9-D545-4C25-A1F0-AEB9DB9ED6AB.jpeg

65D69BB4-C4AA-4DE4-AD6A-77BFEC933365.jpeg

6F2A8C33-53B1-4C70-AF6D-1FE2BD42705B.jpeg

• Like 1

Great day out yesterday the “round robin” trip bus steam train and boat journeys between Totnes and Dartmouth via Paignton

Up on the open top bus from Totnes to Paignton at 9:20 it was quite breezy on top ,then the 10:35 steam train pulled by a beautiful looking USA steam engine ,what a marvellous trip this is with the glorious south Devon coast on one side then the river Dart on the other

Then a few hours wandering around Dartmouth a lovely fish lunch before boarding the 16:00 boat back up to Totnes where we were staying right on the river in the Steam Packet inn.

B0EEE426-D2BB-43E6-8787-A94E30B0126A.jpeg

F0F0EECA-7C7F-4B59-965D-7C0ACEB68CFE.jpeg

51AA0D2C-EED8-4171-BEF9-9953E98E6ACD.jpeg

D5A12717-684C-4319-8698-EFA2E0580BF3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SwanR said:

We have done something similar many years ago, just not in that order. Dartmouth is definitely a place that I would go back to, would lik e to spend longer there than a day trip. 

I agree Dartmouth is well worth a visit, we always used to go there during our holidays at Hope Cove. We struggled with trying to get parked in the small town carpark next to the park. After the out of town park and ride carpark was made it made getting into town far easier.

• Like 1

Get In !

Holiday Inn Express 

Two day job postponed(they forgot I was booked in - admin error) 

I’m gonna get stax done at home, daughters, dinghy down to boat early tomorrow. Treating mysen to a rare Mac’D’s breakfast to celebrate

Griff

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Get In !

Holiday Inn Express 

Two day job postponed(they forgot I was booked in - admin error) 

I’m gonna get stax done at home, daughters, dinghy down to boat early tomorrow. Treating mysen to a rare Mac’D’s breakfast to celebrate

Griff

Hi Charlie surely the extra time is a bonus, why spoil it by going into Mc Donald's :default_norty: I prefer the full breakfast from Morrison's.

An S160 Steam loco.. wouldn't have looked like that during WW2 when hundreds were shipped to the UK from the USA.. Temporarily used here they were later shipped to the continent after D day ..

They were a dull plain Black...

S160's were famous for blowing up their boilers, normally with fatal consequences to the crew. Due to an odd water gauge arrangement..

I need a 4mm scale model for  my model railway but no one makes one...

5 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Charlie surely the extra time is a bonus, why spoil it by going into Mc Donald's :default_norty: I prefer the full breakfast from Morrison's.

Might not be the same now.  I read something that Morrison’s have a new menu with smaller portion sizes and higher prices since their restaurants reopened.  I’m assuming that this is across the stores and not just a local basis.

25 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Might not be the same now.  I read something that Morrison’s have a new menu with smaller portion sizes and higher prices since their restaurants reopened.  I’m assuming that this is across the stores and not just a local basis.

The reported prices were for  slice of toast, butter and a small portion of marmalade at £1.75 no other items were listed or their prices reported.