My Day

LizG

I appear to have aquired another boat :default_smiley-angelic002:.  A nice Shetland family four with a Big outboard. Had a trial on the Medway today, it certainly has some get up and go, did 25 knots against the tide. That is the last time it will go that fast as we are bringing it up to Norfolk to replace the Broom Scorpio.

Having the same problem as Cambridge Cabby, growing grandchildren, it will give us an extra double berth as well as a more usable runabout.

Anyone want a nice Broom Scorpio :default_biggrin:

• Like 2

Reminds me of buying my Black Hawk from Windsor Marina. It was nearly a year old but unused. The berths were still in their plastic.

I asked for a trial and the salesman said could I come at six next morning!!! I arrived and she was waiting in the water. We set off nicely when he pushed the throttle all the way forwards and 90hp of Mercury 2 stroke let loose. You should have seen those ducks scatter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Our main boat was a Westerly Berwick. I bought the Shetland Black Hawk to do this:-

Go out to Studland Beach fast and get back to our moorings fast when the weather turned. Which is exactly what we are doing here, running for home.

I am half the age I am now, my boys are both well into their forties, and I must have been trying to limit my nicotine as I spy Silk Cut not my usual Senior Service or Players.

20210823_185928.thumb.jpg.75447d6ba9f4a3b94ff14b61af206511.jpg

20210823_185958.thumb.jpg.95de1f2ab024522c0a9fff460b619d0f.jpg

• Like 2

Those old two stroke Mercs certainly got you up on the plane quicker, the more modern 4 stroke lawnmower affairs are so lethargic in comparison. I can’t imagine 90hp to boot though, only ever helmed a 20, or possibly 25, “Blueband” on the tail of a Dell Quay dory which aren’t the lightest of vessels even when new. Saw the odd 40 on a dory, but never managed to beg a go.

• Like 1

In 1989 Tony and I bought  what was my first  ever boat. She was a 1979 Shetland 760 called Chesapeake 2. We were later told by a boat builder based on the Thames (forget which one) that Chessy was one of  only three  Shetland built and each one went to a different yard to be fitted out. She was fitted out beautifully, superbly designed with comfortable sleeping accommodation for 4 +2, a generous galley and teak throughout She was of course quite quick although we didn't get the chance to test that out to the full on the Gt. Ouse! We kept her for 11 years.  I last saw her at Brownshill lock in 2007 doing what she did  best giving 2 families with numerous kids dogs etc a great day out on the river. We've had bigger,  grander boats sinced but I've never fallen out of love with her.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Our first boat was a Shetland  4+2.Lovely boat with a Honda 25.Not to speedie but enough. We are thinking about what to do for the future, maybe  replacing Sweetkingfisher, perhaps with a day boat instead. First we need to sort out our new house. 

When we moved to Norfolk we bought a new Viking 20 with a Honda 20 Powerthrust. It was ideal for us for occasional nights out. No trouble with Potter or Wroxham bridges. Ludham canopy up. The engine sipped fuel and with 3x13ltr portable tanks fuel supply was never a problem. It had a four burner hob, oven, fridge, hot water etc. The cassette Thetford heads was fine and we had a spare cassette in the huge below cockpit sole lazarette.

Winterisation was empty the fresh water and remove the berth cushions which we replaced with ones from our garden furniture and we day boated all winter long. Only ice in Stalham Dyke kept us in the Marina.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

We had Little  Kingfisher (Shetland 4+2).For four years.In that time We often went from Brundall to Potter.The biggest problem  was getting  petrol. 

If you are holidaying and cruising, Yes, I can see that. But on the vastly less tidal Northern Rivers, dayboating and overnighting a 13ltr tank would last us all day and we had 3 of them. The low ones would go in the back of the car for fillng.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Can I join the falling down steps on a boat club please.

Here is the proof needed for membership.

Tomorrow I am off to audition for Star Wars as a Stormtrooper.

IMG_20210902_192127.jpg

Very trendy!  Not sure I want a pair, though!! 

• Haha 1