Don't Come To Norfolk!!

JennyMorgan

34 minutes ago, Ray said:

I moved to Norfolk from London two and a half years ago. I have never felt more welcome and at home anywhere. Absolutely lovely people to match the beautiful place.

I`ll second that Ray, been in Norwich/ Brundall for one year and tbh it took a little bit of getting used to. Nobody spoke to anybody they didn`t know in the area I left behind.

• Like 2

The original article looks to be compleat and splutter hogwash. They moved from Cromer not Camden! Seems like a crab claw to crack a whelk. Nosense article... polarticle agenda? Scapegoats being muddied in Thames water.

Must admit being a Norfolk buoy I avoid Wells, such a pain to park. Give me Burnham or Blakeney or Brancaster any point of the tide.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ray said:

I moved to Norfolk from London two and a half years ago. I have never felt more welcome and at home anywhere. Absolutely lovely people to match the beautiful place.

I'll third that (if there is such a thing?) and add that East Anglians are just about the friendliest people on this island in my experience. 

• Like 1

Whilst the tone and subject of this report might be somewhat questionable residential migration is an issue, and not just long distance or "cross county". Even here in the rural East Midlands their is a major issue with residential migration to our smaller villages which are popular with retired and early retireds, flown and growns, and this has pushed house prices to a point beyond where young people who have grown up in the village can afford to buy there anymore.

The village where I played cricket for 30 years or so is a great example. House prices there since Y2K have risen six times faster than the average for the county, meaning prices have more than trebled in less than 20 years. The effect of this is that their are no new families in the village and the primary school, which is amongst the oldest in the country being founded in the 17th century is now marked for closure as their are not enough children in the village to justify it. 

To address this issue the district council has just approved a development of 26 new affordable homes on three different sites within the village to massive local protests, mostly coming from those who have moved to the village those last two decades. The new homes are to have purchasing restrictions and resale covenants in an attempt to stop the place becoming a retirement village. 

There is a degree of hostility between some of the long term residents who see their children having to move to distant towns in order to buy, or even rent and this is not helped by the attitude of some of the newer residents launching campaigns to silence the church bells and prevent these new homes being built.

It is not an easy subject to address. 

• Like 3

There used to be social housing everywhere, it was called "Council Housing" but someone decided to sell them. Ex-Council houses in the village where I lived in Buckinghamshire are now demanding half a £m. 

We married in 1971 and even though we were both well educated and qualified had to rent out of the area. We worked and saved and bought back in the area three years later.

The incomer thing is also not always what it seems. I have met a fair few Norfolk born and bred who after qualifying in various fields left for better career opportunity only to return forty years later for their retirement.

• Like 3

it does strike me that the older generation moving to a small village with no local ameneties are setting themselves up for problems in old age, when for example they can no longer drive to the shops, and all of the small local stores have shut and busses only run once a day, I wonder if they will be able to cope, or will they then bemoan the loss of the village shop and bus services?

in local villages we have already seen newcomers complaining about the smell from farm animals and the hayfever caused by the crops that had been traditionally grown at that location for generations, and woe betide that you hold them up by driving a tractor down the roads. 

Life in the countryside has always been a hard life with few amenities at your door, yet a lot of those moving in dont seem to understand the problems that come from living in a rural setting.

9 minutes ago, grendel said:

it does strike me that the older generation moving to a small village with no local ameneties are setting themselves up for problems in old age, when for example they can no longer drive to the shops, and all of the small local stores have shut and busses only run once a day, I wonder if they will be able to cope, or will they then bemoan the loss of the village shop and bus services?

in local villages we have already seen newcomers complaining about the smell from farm animals and the hayfever caused by the crops that had been traditionally grown at that location for generations, and woe betide that you hold them up by driving a tractor down the roads. 

Life in the countryside has always been a hard life with few amenities at your door, yet a lot of those moving in dont seem to understand the problems that come from living in a rural setting.

There are always going to be people who are a little hard of thinking. They also move near airports, pubs, schools etc. We  moved in full knowledge of what to expect and embrace everything village life and the country life has to offer. I was delighted our first winter to discover the snow had left us cut off. We are also aware of local economics and wherever we possibly can buy things from local businesses to put something back, we love it!

15 minutes ago, grendel said:

or don't care

When we moved after retiring from North London to  a small town/village in Cambridgeshire we were never made to feel unwelcome. We moved onto a  small new development of about 12 houses and we were  the only ones who were not locals. Having heard of hostility shown to newcomers in other counties such as Devon and Cornwall we were quite prepared to be given the cold shoulder. I did wonder if the reason we weren't resented was because the  cost of housing in East Anglia had stayed relatively low compared with other parts of the country meaning young locals didn't have to relocate and could afford to remain local after growing up and marrying. We moved again to another typical small Fenland town and still have never received any hostility.

Carole

• Like 3

3 hours ago, addicted said:

When we moved after retiring from North London to  a small town/village in Cambridgeshire we were never made to feel unwelcome. We moved onto a  small new development of about 12 houses and we were  the only ones who were not locals. Having heard of hostility shown to newcomers in other counties such as Devon and Cornwall we were quite prepared to be given the cold shoulder. I did wonder if the reason we weren't resented was because the  cost of housing in East Anglia had stayed relatively low compared with other parts of the country meaning young locals didn't have to relocate and could afford to remain local after growing up and marrying. We moved again to another typical small Fenland town and still have never received any hostility.

Carole

Carole. no, I'm not flirting, honestly, but you are an exceedingly nice person. Who could not like you?

As for North London, my Suffolk born & bred daughter moved there (Highgate) from here. Liked the place, enjoyed the cultural side of London, always somewhere to go, better money than Norfolk would pay her, had eight good years down there but is now just so glad to be back.

• Like 1

I am sure that I have seen posts where the OP was proud to be from Suffolk, yet he names his thread 'Don't COME to Norfolk'. Has he changed his allegiance or did he just forget himself for a moment? Is he now aligning himself with Great Yarmouth? :default_biggrin: