New Inn Horning

SteveO

this adding service charge is an american thing, anyone who visits frankie and bennys ,(american owned retaurant chain) will tell you they have been doing it for years,in america apparently people are looked down on for not tipping and the expectation seems to be in the region of 15/20%

36 minutes ago, unclemike said:

this adding service charge is an american thing, anyone who visits frankie and bennys ,(american owned retaurant chain) will tell you they have been doing it for years,in america apparently people are looked down on for not tipping and the expectation seems to be in the region of 15/20%

In North America you will also pay a local sales tax of 5-10% not shown in the prices on the menu.

1 minute ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

The thing is this is England  not America. 

You sure about that ?? I beg to differ. Go to any shopping centre here in the UK and you might as well be in any city in the States. Out of town retail parks same. TGI Fridays etc etc etc. I was at  freeport Braintree the other day, could of been at any one of the outlets scattered around international drive Orlando. We are more American then you realise, we even have drive thro coffee outlets. Think about it. 

2 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I have but we're not American. 

And it's still England no matter what the shopping centres are like

Griff

It's not just the shopping griff. England, hasn't existed since we dived into the EU. But hey that's a whole different debate. 

2 hours ago, andyg said:

It's not just the shopping griff. England, hasn't existed since we dived into the EU. But hey that's a whole different debate. 

Technically, England ceased to exist on May 1st 1707 with the Acts of Union. Then again sometimes I ignore technicalities. :default_smile:

I would definitely tell them to take the charge off, especially as my experience of service there has been pretty indifferent this year. I find it impertinent to add a charge for service regardless. Let me be the judge of that. 

I tip regularly for good service, but always try to do this after paying the bill and in cash, handing it to the  person who served me and letting them know how pleased I was. They can share it with their colleagues by all means, but at least I know it hasn't gone directly to the company bank account.

Surprising how you get remembered and looked after, next time you go there.

Years ago I had an elderly, rather wealthy friend and if we went out for the evening, would give a tip before he sat down and told the person there would be more at the end if his guests were well looked after. He told me long ago, "Why leave service to chance" He was always proved right.

• Like 4

For   many years we regularly used a restaurant close to where we used to moor. One season we had a particularly nice waitress. Always helpful When we learned that  all her tips  went to the owners we were outraged seeing it as  pure greed. We discovered that she was going to university at the end of the Summer and when that time we gave her a cheque made out to her for £25.00. She was thrilled, her bosses not so much!

Carole

As a Chef ,I don't see the point  of a service charge. I don't care if its a American idea or if it comes from Tim buck two.Or for that matter any were else.Good service should  be rewarded to the people who give it.Now with coming out of lockdown encourage customers,with good a good package, of menu, setting and service. Very important to keep the staff happy, then that will transfer to customers. A SERVICE CHARGE, will not guarantee that.

• Like 1

I don't think they charged us a service charge for the drinks we had in the garden

Just to put my experience into perspective, we did have excellent service, I would have tipped anyway but probably 10%

The mooring was free with help to moor, you can also pre-book which for somewhere like Horning means you can visit the village, there are places where you pay a mooring fee which isn't deductible from your bill and you have no help to moor!

So overall, the experience was pretty good and I will book again!

However, should the service not be good I would ask to have it removed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

As a Chef ,I don't see the point  of a service charge. I don't care if its a American idea or if it comes from Tim buck two.Or for that matter any were else.Good service should  be rewarded to the people who give it.Now with coming out of lockdown encourage customers,with good a good package, of menu, setting and service. Very important to keep the staff happy, then that will transfer to customers. A SERVICE CHARGE, will not guarantee that.

Thank goodness it is one Americaism not adopted in Australia.

In fact tipping is seen as a bit of an insult. We pay good wages our staff give good customer service is how it is seen downunder.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Thank goodness it is one Americaism not adopted in Australia.

In fact tipping is seen as a bit of an insult. We pay good wages our staff give good customer service is how it is seen downunder.

That is exactly how it should be in my view.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LizG said:

Currently there is space for at least boats on their moorings. As an aside there isn't anyone moored at the Swan 

Is mooring permitted now at the Swan? When we visited last October, the moorings directly outside the pub were taped off