At Home For At Least 12 Weeks.

I am not far off retirement, May next year.What this has done for me is to reassess life.Its given me and Marina  the chance to sort the house  out.I've re painted two bedrooms ,hope to do living and dining  room soon.I consider  it preparation for retirement. Money  is a concern, I may soon be out of a job.After weeks I've only just started  going out for a walk,once a day.Still not allowed to visit  shops or anywhere  else until at least  next month. If the rates of infection and deaths remain  at these levels.My feeling is little for me will change next month. That's why I get annoyed when I see so many peoples gathering with little regard to social distancing. I'm concerned that  rates  will raise  again. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I am not far off retirement, May next year.What this has done for me is to reassess life.Its given me and Marina  the chance to sort the house  out.I've re painted two bedrooms ,hope to do living and dining  room soon.I consider  it preparation for retirement. Money  is a concern, I may soon be out of a job.After weeks I've only just started  going out for a walk,once a day.Still not allowed to visit  shops or anywhere  else until at least  next month. If the rates of infection and deaths remain  at these levels.My feeling is little for me will change next month. That's why I get annoyed when I see so many peoples gathering with little regard to social distancing. I'm concerned that  rates  will raise  again. 

You and me both Ian.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Well said, Ian!

Our mutual problem is that lockdown is endless until a vaccine is produced; in my case age and Mary-Jane's health problems. I can't see any return to whatever was normal until such vaccine arrives and tolerance returns to our streets.

• Like 3

long term I dont see a vaccine being forthcoming for the majority, i think it will be like the MMR vaccine, administered to all children at a young age and thus giving them immunity for life, for some the vaccine could prove as deadly as the virus itself (there are a percentage who cant accept the flu vaccine or have a bad reaction).

I'm fairly sure if a Vaccine comes out it will be NHS staff first, Extremely Vunerable second, Vunerable 3rd. Over 60s 4th.

Since Children  for the most part are not affected by it.

If the vaccine turns out to be for life and not just for this seasons version like flu, then they work their way down the age groups.

If there is a variety they only do the top groups..

the problem with that is the virus is closer to the common cold than it is to a flu, so it depends on whether they can make a one shot vaccine or need a new one for every strain. whether it is given to any particular group will depend on the vaccine.

• Sad 1

Many are right in there hope for us to talk more about the broads  rather then this virus. I too share that hope,but often this dreadful  disease takes a grip on us.If I turned the clock back to this time last year,we were getting ready to visit Berlin.The weather was hot and  what a great holiday it was.Jump forward to December early January. Have you heard of this virus in China  it seems very serious. No I said,sure it wont be that bad.How wrong I was.In all my life I've taken risks,sometime later I've stopped and thought perhaps I shouldn't have done that that did it anyway.At present  I cant see a way out of this and personally  I worry that  I will remain shielded next month also.I just want to be able to move more freely and yes go up to the boat.Forgive me I'm in a small unfortunate group of about two million  people that are shielding unable to do much. Fully understand  the reasons  why and have accepted why.However it's far from easy.Theres much talk about mental  health  and how the lockdown is making  it worse  for some.Many times in the past three months  reporters have mentioned  mental health, with in my opinion  very little understanding of what's it's like to suffer the brown dog or worse still the black dog.I suffered  a mental  breakdown  15 odd years ago,I was helped to pull through  it by the family, I stopped smoking, cut down on drinking  and turned the corner. This unholy  dreadful disease has cost the lives of over 40 thousand . Many more that have life changing conditions that may take years to overcome, many people that have life threatening illnesses that go untreated, so 40 thousand plus died and god knows how many more died or that have not had treatment .We are in a world  that's been turned upside down.Yes I'm lucky  I'm alive and in fairly good life.Can life be better or is this how life will be.Cant help but feel annoyed ,we have worked  hard and now after almost  50 years working  we should  enjoy  what time left.Theres no magic bullet for COPD it will kill me in time,I'm just trying  to keep the odds in my favour. Let's hope we will come out of this madness soon,my hope as a society we will be stronger be more understanding  of others,accept that we cant all go round with a smile  on our face all the time.So sorry if I'm down,being unable to do much for over three months  is far from easy the sooner I can get back to s normal life the better.

Remember  ALL lives matter 

• Like 3

Ian - your posts continue to depress me! Like it or not, life continues and we cannot just stop the clock - whilst I am all to well aware that there are numbers still shielding, you still have to come into contact with someone with the disease to catch it, and to be honest, I think it that risk is not as high as you imagine. Of course you should take every precaution but the amount you worry, that alone is not doing you any good!

I see the team testing the vaccine has had to upsticks and shift to Brazil - I will let you work out why! The large hospital in Norwich has just one case in ICU I suspect, and whilst the toll is very high, I read that over 60000 have had cancer treatment deferred - what of them? Of course lives matter, but you cannot lock yourself totally away for ever! You seem now to be pinning your hopes on a vaccine, and your place in the queue - even if it appears as early as you hope, vaccines rarely give 100% immunity so there will be a risk in that. Has no one had the flu this year - everyone has forgotten about that!!

You must regain your ability to assess risk - however much you shield, risk  will be ever present and not just from coronavirus so keep working on your individual risk assessment,  you might begin to feel that this virus is not around every corner and under every stone! Well I don't and will carry on much as I do despite advancing years!!

The simple fact at present  I'm not allowed  to do much.I can go out once a day ,yesterday  I walked around  the block. This was the furthest I'd  been in three months. I am seriously Considering taking part in the 100k walk in aid of the British  lung foundation. The walk is over all of July.I am well aware the time will come when I have to be out more,but at present  as I said like many at very high risk have to be shielded. Like many I hope for a vaccine.Fully aware that's s long shot.Theres no doubt my risk of catching  it has reduced  considerably. My Hope's are the same as everyone. Simple,let's get the number  of infections down and life returning  to something close to normal.

It's not my intention  to depress anyone,but I won't sugarcoat my thoughts on this dreadful disease. 

• Like 2

Ian from what I’ve read you are looking to retire to Norfolk next year. Start planning now, look for a few areas you would like to live. You have the time now to get it right. Don’t leave it till the last minute then move to the wrong place or village for you. Hopefully the restrictions on staying on your boat will relaxed in a few weeks and you can get the use out of it and enjoy it. I keep saying to my mother in law who has been stuck on her own with no visitors for over 3 months stop watching the bloody news every 5 minutes its not doing you any good. Look forward to seeing you on the rivers Ian😀

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Marshman, Not so long ago you were complaining about the government guidance and how it affected you, but were abiding by it and presumably continue to do so whilst enjoying some easing of those initial lockdown restrictions. You were prepared to assess your own risks, but also to follow the government guidance and still are by not overnighting on your boat. It's still frustrating but you have considerably more freedoms than those in the shielding category. As much as they should also be prepared to carry out their own risk assessment, why should they also not be following the government guidance for their particular situation and why shouldn't they be expressing their considerable frustrations at their own situation, which is far worse than yours or mine. Maybe a little empathy towards those in a worse position wouldn't go a miss.

Having an older brother and separately a sister in law in the shielding category I do understand how Ian feels. That has led to me having to continue to socially distance from two of my brothers. 

Ian, Marshman is right not to pin your hopes on a vaccine, however the forthcoming review of the 2 metre distancing rule I suspect has more to do with the fact the prevalence of the disease is reducing and continues to do so. Ultimately if this thing dies out of it's own accord reducing the number to 1 metre of even a half will make no difference as it will have much more to do with the reducing chance of finding anyone with the virus, than distance. Let's hope so anyway.  

• Like 1

John thanks,I've posted here since off work,I've re painted two bedrooms. Tomorrow I will start  on our living and dining rooms.We still aim to move next spring or summer.As I've said the possibility of a vaccine at present is slim,I get it.I've said before most of my life used to taking chances. I just want to increase  my odds.The other thing playing on my mind is my work,80% of us in my department will more then likely be out of work.I have 11 months  until I can retire it feels so close yet so far.I don't  want anyone to feel  sorry for me,just to perhaps get a understanding what it's like to shield and the risk of this disease. It worries me when Marina  goes to the shop in case she gets it.Thankfully the numbers  are coming down,but still.need to drop down to a more  manageable level. 

I think shopping is the one thing it’s hard to avoid completely. Fortunately we now have Morrison’s delivery slots easily available every week topped up by a local online greengrocers every two or three weeks. I occasionally get to Sainsbury’s for a few different things and a few bits I can’t get online. I’ve also needed to go to Boots on a retail park near us a couple of times and they have been brilliant, by far the best organised shop. 

ECIPA - I was not suggesting that Ian does not do as he is told, and by and large I comply as you would expect. BUT I seen a marked change as we relax previous restrictions. Many still to seemingly still be glued to the daily briefing (not watched for over 2 months! ) and every spurious bit of news put out in the Press - I don't think I would believe a word, for example in the Daily Mail, but honestly the situation is not as dire as some would suggest, or the incidence would not be dropping rapidly and the vaccine testers having to pop over to Brazil!

But right from the outset, I have been trying to judge the risks and to be honest have not, except once or twice, felt nervous about going food shopping or indeed doing so if I need to. I try not let these factors impact too harshly on what I do, and yes, I did moan about the restrictions but having made a judgement I did what I felt necessary. And will continue to do so and as a result, I find it is not as bad as some would have us believe!

If I catch it, I will hope that , like the majority, it will have minimal effect but if I succumb more badly, the kids will inherit earlier - of whats left. I have generally had a good time and indeed still am but I will not be scared of it, just as I am not scared of dying in a car accident, scared of other diseases or of drowning if I fall overboard, or indeed any accident. It is what it is.

• Like 1

Marshman, I couldn't agree more, two years ago I was diagnosed with an illness that has no happy ending, I am in the high risk category and advised by my consultant not even to leave the house. All treatment has ceased, I feel fairly good and refuse point blank to stay at home, don't get me wrong I don't take unnecessary risks but i want to enjoy a restricted life and sod stopping indoors, today the sun is shining, we will take out our camper van, go for a walk and then have something to eat with a different view before making our way back home when the sun has gone, little risk to either of us.

I refuse to let the virus worry me, we have had to long worrying about the inevitable, every day is a gift, if I wake up we have a fighting chance.

there's an old saying where live, " drink it whilst its fizzy"

• Like 6

Just to add, I am a few years away from retirement and self employed, my doctor told me I would never work again and should look to winding up my business, I go in everyday, don't usually get much done and still have all my overheads etc to pay, but for piece of mind and sanity I do it. My wife is even further off retirement age, but finished to care for me, to say our income has been devastated is an understatement, having said that my personally funded expense account has had an easy time of it lately, which helps.

You adapt  and cope, you take the p**s out of the illness and anything else out there trying to harm you, its just a matter of getting on.

• Like 2