Boris Says We Can Go Boating!! - (Not sure he did we must wait clarification (edited by Maxwellian)

JennyMorgan

23 minutes ago, marshman said:

Chris - with respect those figures of the cost and the deaths are purely speculative! Someone is just guessing and you're just making it worse by passing it on. 

I have just worked out the number of deaths in the six weeks leading up to the 1st May over and above the normal five year average for that period. It is 46,494. Add in the ones since then and Chris is pretty much spot on. Figures taken from the Office for National Statistics which gets its figures from the death registers. Sadly fact, not fiction. Re the cost, who really knows the number, but it will be huge and we will all be paying for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Islander said:

That would be like living in a caravan parked in a multi-storey carpark. Why would you.

Colin :default_beerchug:

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Because the roof/deck leaks?

In the very cold winter of 81/82 we had an empty barn because we had sold all our feed to local stables. Next to us a young couple with a baby were struggling in a mobile home on their smallholding.  Judith was very worried about them so I hitched them up to our ancient Fordson Major and put them in the barn, it was an easy job to connect them to our services.

Luckily after the bad weather was over I got into all sorts of trouble for doing a good turn.

• Like 1

The office of Dept Management, which is the arm of The Treasury that borrows money borrowed 46bn in April and are looking to borrow another 181bn to end July. That is before the announcement that job retention will be extended to end October.

As the Broads Authority have now confirmed the message conveyed in the original, unedited, unre-edited title of this thread is it not now time to remove those edits and return it to what was originally written?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

RANT,

The projections are running towards 50,000 deaths at a cost of £300bn for this year. Yet many respectable organisations seem hell bent on pushing the limits. 

Everyone should adhere to the safe options wherever possible, bending the rules to get away and follow ones own agenda is not clever, it borders on a selfish and criminal attitude towards others.

It is no good clapping the NHS one evening then doing your best to travel around as far as one can, with it's deadly potential the next.

I think Chris's post should be a sticky on every page of this thread. Although it's a good place for people to let off a bit steam during the lockdown, it does seem to be some people's sad obsession to find loopholes in just about every bit of advice dished out.

• Like 2

My son who is a keen fisherman said

for fishing at night solely participating with the sport it ok to night fish.

we had the ok from the Angling Trust yesterday eve.

you can go camping at mo,

Edited to say - he fishes on lakes.

38 minutes ago, Hylander said:

My son who is a keen fisherman said

for fishing at night solely participating with the sport it ok to night fish.

we had the ok from the Angling Trust yesterday eve.

you can go camping at mo,

Edited to say - he fishes on lakes.

"Give a man a fish; you feed him for an hour.
Teach a man to fish; you keep him out of the house for days...."  :default_biggrin:

• Like 2

You are assuming that I was saying the figures are too high - no I was merely saying repeating any figure is speculation in that until we are further down the line, we just do not accurately know what the true cost is. For example are we able to strip out of the deaths figure those that have died of flu - every year a certain number die of flu. Are we assuming flu was not around this year? Neither am I trying to belittle whats happened or the cost but my guess is that 5 years on, we may be able to have a better idea of true numbers and more accurately, the cost - until then I would treat all figures with some suspicion - be they higher or lower!

• Like 2

The true number that died worldwide from spanish flu in 1918 /19 is still only guesswork, numbers between 17 and 50 million people with a possibility of 100 million are quoted. at least the figures are not in those realms yet.

but to keep them out of those realms, we all have to be responsible and not just pop down to the boat as we are bored.

stay in our own homes as much as possible and stay safe.

the numbers however are irrelevant, a lot of people have died, that is the important fact to remember, all of those people will be missed by someone.

I just find it sad that people are quibbling over numbers, rather than looking at the bigger picture, the people whose lives have ended, the people whose friends and relatives are no longer with us, and the incredible sadness of it all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I think it's also worth considering that if you are lucky enough to survive COVID19 and go into and come out off hospital, it won't have been a pleasant experience. Certainly not something that I want to experience. Part of the reason why this thing spread so quickly at the start was people thinking it was just another bout of flu. Some will die but the vast majority will survive. Boris survived but I think it was a severe wake up call to him.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, grendel said:

The true number that died worldwide from spanish flu in 1918 /19 is still only guesswork, numbers between 17 and 50 million people with a possibility of 100 million are quoted. at least the figures are not in those realms yet.

but to keep them out of those realms, we all have to be responsible and not just pop down to the boat as we are bored.

stay in our own homes as much as possible and stay safe.

the numbers however are irrelevant, a lot of people have died, that is the important fact to remember, all of those people will be missed by someone.

I just find it sad that people are quibbling over numbers, rather than looking at the bigger picture, the people whose lives have ended, the people whose friends and relatives are no longer with us, and the incredible sadness of it all.

I agree with your sentiments wholly Grendel. However someone else's grief is not enough to stop a deadly minority putting their holiday,  visiting their boat, going a bit too far in their RV selfishly before the common good. If I tuck myself in the reeds for the night I am not doing any harm! Or I am too tired now to drive home we will find somewhere off the beaten track to sleep the night. This is why I deplore responsible organisations setting the example of pushing the rules to the limit. Unfortunately there is a minority of people who think the rules do not apply to them, speeding being a typical example. Coronavirus is the most serious threat posed at the present time and putting numbers on the problem is one of the few ways to drive the message home. That is why the daily briefings start with those awful Stats.

• Like 2

Chris - you are right of course but there is has to be a sensible middle road and a balance to be found. I just don't agree even responsible organisations are pushing the limits - just enquiring exactly what you can actually do or not, to avoid other issues rearing their head or over zealous interpretation of the legislation. We have every right to know that info just as others want to pour over precise numbers of deaths or the growth in the National Debt - all valid questions I am afraid covering both sides of the equation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I think it's also worth considering that if you are lucky enough to survive COVID19 and go into and come out off hospital, it won't have been a pleasant experience. Certainly not something that I want to experience. Part of the reason why this thing spread so quickly at the start was people thinking it was just another bout of flu. Some will die but the vast majority will survive. Boris survived but I think it was a severe wake up call to him.

Many people will have had the virus, not been badly affected and not been hospitalised. Both my wife and I have had symptoms - temperature, a rasping cough, which lasted two or three weeks, headaches, feeling extremely fatigued and in my case I lost my sense of taste.  We weren’t able to be tested and now, when testing is more widely available, is now too late.  The vast majority of those who have had it, will have recovered without going to hospital.  Not meaning to belittle the figures, or the validity of whatever statistics are available, the lack of reliable testing from the outset will surely mean that the true figures will never be known.

I am fairly certain that the financial consequences of this will make the crash of 2008 pale into insignificance and we will be feeling the after effects for many years to come.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, marshman said:

You are assuming that I was saying the figures are too high - no I was merely saying repeating any figure is speculation in that until we are further down the line, we just do not accurately know what the true cost is. For example are we able to strip out of the deaths figure those that have died of flu - every year a certain number die of flu. Are we assuming flu was not around this year? Neither am I trying to belittle whats happened or the cost but my guess is that 5 years on, we may be able to have a better idea of true numbers and more accurately, the cost - until then I would treat all figures with some suspicion - be they higher or lower!

In 2019 - 20 Flu peaked before Christmas and was a low number season 2016-17 being above average

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/885092/National_influenza_report_14_May_2020_week_20.pdf

11 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Many people will have had the virus, not been badly affected and not been hospitalised.

There are various strains.. One may have had one strain but not the other, plus it appears some people have been known to catch again. (Hope you feeling much better now though).

• Thanks 1

Well, just managed to nip down and check the boat ( ashore ) and plan the continued prep for a delayed launch. Speaking to a chap from Stalham, and he said it's mad there today now people can get to their boats'

Hmmm.…..

20 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Many people will have had the virus, not been badly affected and not been hospitalised. Both my wife and I have had symptoms - temperature, a rasping cough, which lasted two or three weeks, headaches, feeling extremely fatigued and in my case I lost my sense of taste.  We weren’t able to be tested and now, when testing is more widely available, is now too late.  The vast majority of those who have had it, will have recovered without going to hospital.

I had exactly the same symptoms in March, we had just returned from a 5 day break on the Costa del Sol (before the seriousness of things were apparent), we live in a small village and my Doctor said that she was 99% sure it was covid19 but was unable to have me tested. I was told that if my breathing became laboured I should call 999.

7 hours ago, ChrisB said:

The office of Dept Management, which is the arm of The Treasury that borrows money borrowed 46bn in April and are looking to borrow another 181bn to end July. That is before the announcement that job retention will be extended to end October.

Another way of looking at it,

replacing Trident is estimated over 200 billion

bailing out the banks in 2008 was 500 billion

• Like 3

Numbers, figures, statistics what a sad lot we have become, 1 death is a tragedy to those affected whatever the cause, covid 19 is the latest of a number of life threatening illnesses to which we are vulnerable stop worrying about numbers and follow the basic advice stay at home unless you need to shop, work, excersise or carry out necessary services, frustration is one thing costing someones life is a whole bigger ball game.

Fred

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No Fred that basic advice is far too simplistic a measure as you stated, otherwise you could use that argument for every single risk you take. How often did you think of the danger of actually going out in your car or walking along a pavement on a busy stretch of road? Not at all I guess, because you assessed that risk subconsciously and just took but it carried a real risk nonetheless I am afraid, and you cannot say everyone should stay at home forever and only go out as set out,  just because they may catch Covid 19.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Coronavirus is the most serious threat posed at the present time and putting numbers on the problem is one of the few ways to drive the message home. That is why the daily briefings start with those awful Stats

I disagree, by quoting the numbers, they are dehumanising the effects of this virus, they want people to think in terms of numbers, numbers mean that 300 deaths is a number, its good its less than yesterday, not another 300 human beings, individuals, fathers, mothers, children, uncles, friends or work colleagues, who will be missed by their family and loved ones, its not another 600 to 1000 people who are now missing an integral part of their life.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Numbers, figures, statistics what a sad lot we have become, 1 death is a tragedy to those affected whatever the cause, covid 19 is the latest of a number of life threatening illnesses to which we are vulnerable stop worrying about numbers and follow the basic advice stay at home unless you need to shop, work, excersise or carry out necessary services, frustration is one thing costing someones life is a whole bigger ball game.

Fred

I think it was Stalin who said

"One death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic".    Very sad, but true.

• Like 1