Boris Says We Can Go Boating!! - (Not sure he did we must wait clarification (edited by Maxwellian)

JennyMorgan

I think where we are today is that we can certainly visit our boat as long as we certainly meet distance criteria, and any marinas should facilitate this by opening, and I believe like Grendel, that you can actually use it - but not stay overnight as that introduces another concept.

So to start with I shall clean it and anyone wanting exercise will be welcome to help apply polish and buff it off.....!

And then I do need to operate the machinery for maintenance purposes - I also have a small mast for courtesy flags and burgees and which will now carry a small sail - about 3 sq.ft.!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I live 78 miles from the Broads and quite often will go there cruise for a while more up have lunch come back to the mooring and then home no problem, would be far better if I could sleep on board and take in a long weekend but there and back in a day is better than nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Good job number 35 remained open!

It means I am working. For those who may not think this is real, I am working 7 days a week and have never been so busy. Just for information,  I would expect to do around 3 funerals a week at this time of year, there has been around 3 every day the past couple of weeks. Like everyone else I would rather be on the Broads than dealing with this situation. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, grendel said:

the way i read this, a boat can be a private vehicle, an outdoor open space can be the middle of a broad or river, and i believe the guidance was exercise or recreation, so here is hoping that those local enough to the broads will be able for recreational purposes take their private vehicle to an outdoor open space.

A boat is very different from a vehicle though?? It adds a whole complexity and it's really unique. The government do need to precise about it for many reasons but we shouldn't expect them to overnight really as they can't put everything into plain english  it needs to public to try to engage a bit of a brain;  I.e A boat (with a bunk, a loo, a cooker and engine) can obviously cross international borders with ease, yes Broads boaters don't really leave the broads but any of them theoretically could do easily (A kayak, canoe, sailing dinghy could but likely wouldnt really as they would probably capsize and die before they pass the 12 mile limit), there needs to consideration about an american/iranian boat (A country not under the same strict controls as us) not coming and mooring right beside us here in coastal waters, but it's a big world outside and the broads are connected to that world, so it's not as easy as it may seems!   The government will probably need to put controls in place which states "No private international boats landing"  which will then annoy france (again) although I think I read on the RYA that this is almost in place which will then probably give the BA reassurance they need..but it needs time.  Considering landlocked boats are still restricted I wouldn't be surprised if the blanket is slowly lifted as so rules can be ironed out as clearly someone will misinterpret.. 

Thankfully I see my aviation friends having similar problems which seems fun for them too! 

3 hours ago, Jemaki said:

I wonder will there be public lavatory facilities available for said folk or just for people traveling in the area in general, it could be a tad awkward.

Many many years ago I was out in the Swale with a friend and his minisail. I told him that I needed a wee. He capsized it and as it did he stepped on the boat side and uprighted the boat. I was in the drink. He said that I could go now. Very funny he thought.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, socrates said:

It means I am working. For those who may not think this is real, I am working 7 days a week and have never been so busy. Just for information,  I would expect to do around 3 funerals a week at this time of year, there has been around 3 every day the past couple of weeks. Like everyone else I would rather be on the Broads than dealing with this situation. 

This is one of the posts that needs a ‘thank you’, a ‘sad’ and a ‘like’. Suffice for me to say thank you for your dedication. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, socrates said:

I am working 7 days a week and have never been so busy. Just for information,  I would expect to do around 3 funerals a week at this time of year, there has been around 3 every day the past couple of weeks. 

For me it sends a tingle up my spine, for you, it's just another busy day at the office :default_blink:

• Thanks 1

I am glad I can now do it officially - for what its worth I saw no reason not to do it as I felt it totally unreasonable and if my boat had been in a locked marina to which I had no access, I would be moving at the end of the year! Not that that would be very easy given the general shortage of moorings!! 

• Like 1

That should placate that Marshman fellow! 

The whole document strikes me as being wholly reasonable.

There is concern in some quarters that the guidelines are discriminatory, effectively what is good for one boat should be good for another. That could be true but surely the guidelines are aimed at the activities rather than the boats themselves. Perhaps the BA could have stood firm on behalf of motor cruiser owners, all or nothing, but I accept DEFRA's reasoning that all waterways should be treated the same.   All in all I think that after a shakey start the BA has done reasonably well. Perhaps toll money talks.

• Like 2

Below is a message we received from our Marina last night:-

Dear Berth Holder, 

Following the announcements from the Government this week about unlimited outdoor activity with effect from Wednesday 13th May 2020, we would ask you to please follow all guidelines with regard to the safety of you and your family, other marinas users, and our own marina staff team when visiting the marina.

Many measures remain in place and we ask that you adhere to all current guidance please, including maintaining social distancing (a minimum of 2 metres), staying at home as much as possible, and keeping up regular and frequent hand washing. If you have any symptoms of coronavirus or have been in contact with anyone who has please do not visit the marina.

Please may we ask that you do not have any direct contact with the staff team at the marina. For the time being our offices remain manned but locked, and we are available on the phone and email as usual.

Current guidance does not allow for overnight stays on your boat. Please may we ask you to adhere to this guidance.

At the time of writing we are awaiting clarification from the navigation authorities with regard to use of the rivers.

We shall continue to monitor all guidance received. Further updates may follow as applicable.

Thank you for your patience, understanding and cooperation.

Myself and fellow owners of our syndicate have been conversing on WhatApp during the last week the implications of what would have to be introduced to allow our owners to visit the boat. Unlike a boat being used for a single family we have twenty families safety to think about. The boat was mothballed after the lock-down notice was declared, I was the last person on the boat. 

We can now visit the boat for maintenance by ourselves or contractors. The boat however was winter serviced and ready for the season start when I was aboard in March. We are having a contractor in to clean the outside of the boat.

So what is the plan for allowing use, be it day trips when we are allowed to full use hopefully in the future. Our changeover days are going to be of a longer duration, with a regime of scrupulous cleaning and sanitising of all surfaces of the boat. Hire companies will have to do a similar process with ever one of their boats when they are allowed to operate again.

My next allocation is in the first week of July, I have almost become resolved to the fact that this will not happen. Not only do we need to be allowed to go on the river, but we also need to be able to stay overnight on the boat (other than local owners), we also need services such as fuel and pump out services. Broom's are still on lock down and unless they start operating again it is doubtful that they will open the fuel station for some time. Until support services are again working, recovery and dive insurance services (already paid for) could not be relied on. Until we are officially allowed to use the rivers be it only for day trips any unauthorised use would invalidate our boat insurance.

I like many boat enthusiasts am eager to resume boating however this has to be done in accordance with the rules we have been given by the Government for the safety of us all.

Regards

Alan

Chairman & Trustee Ranworth Breeze Boat Syndicate  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

At last - I agree with Pete about the BA. Having said that, it may have been better if they had appeared to have been more proactive, but I know it was happening behind the scenes!

Someone tell the wildlife to go into hiding, the Margoletta will be warming up her engines!!!

• Haha 2

Broads Authority statement 13 May: Government confirms that private boats can use Broads waterways

The Broads Authority has today received confirmation from Defra that privately owned powered boats can be used on the Broads for day trips as long as other guidance on social distancing is followed. 

This follows guidance issued earlier this week that allowed sailing and paddle boating (including canoes, kayaks and paddle boards) to resume.

Whilst other inland waterways face a delay in the return of powered private boats, the Broads is able to welcome boaters back because maintenance of the waterways has continued throughout the COVID-19 lockdown.

Whilst the public are advised to stay at home as much as possible, from today (13 May) you are now able to leave your home and travel to exercise or spend time outdoors from today.

As well as the relaxation of boating restrictions, owners may also visit their boats for leisure or to do maintenance but are not able to stay overnight away from their usual residence (so day trips only).

The Authority urges people to take care to follow guidelines and respect social distancing and to bear in mind that many businesses associated with boating may not yet be able to open.

It is also essential that boaters contact marinas where there vessels are moored directly to see if they are able to access them as some businesses may not be open or able to facilitate safe access.

The revised guidance on returning to work (if you are not able to do so from home) may also mean that some businesses may be able to re-open whilst others cannot. 

As well as restrictions business owners will have to judge whether it is safe to re-open and if they can apply social distancing/precautionary measures to protect staff and customers.

Whilst we all pleased that we can access the Broads again, the threat of Coronavirus is still very real. It is up to all of us to ensure the guidelines are followed to help save lives and protect our NHS.

Read the full statement on our website: https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news/coronavirus-covid-19

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

27 minutes ago, BroadsAuthority said:

Whilst we all pleased that we can access the Broads again, the threat of Coronavirus is still very real. It is up to all of us to ensure the guidelines are followed to help save lives and protect our NHS.

That's it, in a nutshell. Please don't bring the virus to the Broads.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

That's it, in a nutshell. Please don't bring the virus to the Broads.

If only it was that easy... You can certainly expect that at least one person would be infected.. Sorry but it's the obvious truth.. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Think its welcomed. Sadly for me won't be able to leave home until the middle, end June.

With no overnight stays allowed as yet, it’s still going to be a little while before many people are able to go to their boats. It’s a step in the right direction though and, as long as things don’t go pear-shaped in the interim, things will be on the up. 

Of course you are right but remember that not everyone who catches it becomes seriously ill or dies - in reality its quite the opposite so lets look on the bright side and if you yourself are concerned stay indoors, or if you have other medical conditions, still take the necessary precautions.No one is going to make you do things you don't need to, or want to.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JawsOrca said:

If only it was that easy... You can certainly expect that at least one person would be infected.. Sorry but it's the obvious truth.. 

I'm afraid that you are right,  ignorant selfishness could so easily undermine the lock-down and social distancing that we have all endured. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1