Boris Says We Can Go Boating!! - (Not sure he did we must wait clarification (edited by Maxwellian)

JennyMorgan

36 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

That's the thing, the restrictions on movement is written in law: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/regulation/6/made  Unless the defence is "Exercise" , although checking my boat can hardly be explained as exercise but if it's not so clearly written then why was it enforceable least week?? (Surely last week then the police was acting on guidance. (or perhaps we aren't in this emergency period now).. it's all so bizarre, I've always been led to believe that law is pretty black and white but it seems so grey at present. I wouldn't like to be a copper or a judge at the moment..:default_blink:

I don't think judges would have too much of a problem - they actually read and (usually) understand the law. Policemen of today, it seems, don't bother, and rely instead on what they read in the media or see on the television.

• Thanks 1

That's how I understood it, the bit in law is very restrictive with the government able to use which bits it feels is needed, but all with a 2 year limitation so they can't just decide to become a dictatorship without a further act of parliment.

another thing, 157 ish miles even with no traffic means you are breaking the law many times over, that is an average of 62.5 mph ,,much of your route is 30 and 50 speed limit, riding like a demented idiot puts you and others at risk, exactly what needs avoiding

Much of the route is 30 (And 50) - Hardly any of it is 30mph, A1, A17, A47 NDR - Where's the 30's? - A quarter mile in my village, then through Bawtry and Wroxham, a couple  of miles-ish at the most.   Some sections are 50 I grant you. But the dual carriageways are 70 but you know all this

Riding like a demented idiot - Well that is just your opinion and thanks for it.

The next time I ride like a demented idiot - will be the first time as I kinda like staying alive (Bee Gees).  Besides it is well known that British bikes over a litre capacity, the speed limits are only advisory. :default_norty:    I daren't tell you what my 'Best time' on the Mighty Tiger was door to wetshed one early summers Sunday morning :default_norty:  I'll take the fifth amendment your honour.

It's all hypothetical anyroadup as the Mighty Tiger is currently SORNED due to present financial constraints

Trevor however is ready and raring to go . . . . . . :default_norty:

As for Richo's - As has been posted earlier that statement on their website was during the early days of the partial lockdown - Since the government advice has changed this week It now needs tweaking.  Whether the wetshed is open as from today or not I do not know.  The question will have to be asked.  I would hope so as they can hardly keep the yard shut to private owners now the government are allowing joe public access to their own boats

The night fishing one is a real quandry - Can't stay on your boat overnight but after June 16th you can do so if you are fishing?  -  You couldn't make it up :default_biggrin:

Griff

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

As for Richo's - As has been posted earlier that statement on their website was during the early days of the partial lockdown - Since the government advice has changed this week It now needs tweaking.  Whether the wetshed is open as from today or not I do not know.  The question will have to be asked.  I would hope so as they can hardly keep the yard shut to private owners now the government are allowing joe public access to their own boats

Griff

Have been in contact with Clive , they are erecting new signage relating to covid-19 on site and the webpage will be updated over the next few days 

• Thanks 1

Just now, OldBerkshireBoy said:

You go easy on those new brakes, they need bedding in or you just might need another new windscreen. :default_laugh:

Also a little more difficult, although not impossible, to lean into corners!😉😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dear me - what a turn this thread took whilst I was on the boat!!!

People lambasting Griff for driving too fast. discussing fisherman falling asleep on the job, and then some meaningless discussion on regulations and legislation - what a load of squit!!

Roll on the time when you can start moaning about the BA - makes it more interesting!!:default_biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

RANT,

The projections are running towards 50,000 deaths at a cost of £300bn for this year. Yet many respectable organisations seem hell bent on pushing the limits. 

Everyone should adhere to the safe options wherever possible, bending the rules to get away and follow ones own agenda is not clever, it borders on a selfish and criminal attitude towards others.

It is no good clapping the NHS one evening then doing your best to travel around as far as one can, with it's deadly potential the next.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

The night fishing one is a real quandry - Can't stay on your boat overnight but after June 16th you can do so if you are fishing?  -  You couldn't make it up 

Griff

Trying to make sense of that last sentence.        Does that mean that hire boats will be allowed on the rivers?

I do fear that the second  wave will come back to bite us in two weeks time.I agree with Chris,theres a lot of pushing and trying to stretch limits. Also think theres a big problem  with  public  transport. No one would be more happy then me  if I'm proved wrong. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Hylander said:

The night fishing one is a real quandry - Can't stay on your boat overnight but after June 16th you can do so if you are fishing?  -  You couldn't make it up 

Griff

Trying to make sense of that last sentence.        Does that mean that hire boats will be allowed on the rivers?

Provided everyone is fishing and awake!  Perhaps sleeping during the day is the answer.

• Haha 1

The night fishing one is a real quandry - Can't stay on your boat overnight but after June 16th you can do so if you are fishing?  -  You couldn't make it up   -  Griff

Trying to make sense of that last sentence.    You and me both 

Apparently fisherman can now fish overnight?  So in theory if a fisherman was to do some overnight fishing and did it from his own boat he would be ok staying onboard overnight then?  

Does that mean that hire boats will be allowed on the rivers?

I have no idea just putting it out there as was done earlier on this thread.  As for Hire boats - I doubt it under current guidelines

Griff

Obviously night fishing is intended to be done from the bank and not being used as an excuse to stay overnight on a cruiser.

It is a bit like saying Golf is allowed, but we only belong to The Royal Cromer so we have driven up to our second home for a couple of days golf.

Too much retoric, too much prose and not enough Bullet points. ie:-

YES. NIGHT FISHING  NO. FROM A BOAT WITH ACCOMMODATION.

• Like 1

With equal respect Marshy, those figures can't be too far off, but , like the rules/guidelines/laws/regulations/ etc.etc, it is the spirit in which the post was made that matters. Push the boundaries and people will suffer. err on the side of caution and people will be safer.

• Like 5