Broken Down On Wroxham Island

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Isn't the timing chain at the front on a bmc (happy to be corrected as not worked on one for years)? Be hard to not notice the complete lack of resistance turning the pulley if broken that far forward and the starter still wouldn't turn it as it's at the back.

Not sure, as I said earlier, not that familiar with these engines. I think in a vehicle this breed of engine has the timing chain at the front but who knows what these marine boys get up to in the workshop? :default_hiding:

Forget worn bearings,broken crankshaft,  cam followers big maybe but 1/4 of an inch gap instead of 15 thou not possible, its either dropped the valve seats,cause overheating or not installed correctly, and if starter turns engine via flywheel but hand turning doesn't, different/another problem, how are they turning by hand, it wont have a starting handle even if it has a dog nut,  are you using a spanner on dog nut on crank end then woodruff key on front pulley which also locks cam chain lower sprocket but this won't cause a big gap at rockers, only put camshaft out of sequence.most likely dropped valve seats, remedy exchange head a day's work John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, annv said:

Forget worn bearings,broken crankshaft,  cam followers big maybe but 1/4 of an inch gap instead of 15 thou not possible, its either dropped the valve seats,cause overheating or not installed correctly, and if starter turns engine via flywheel but hand turning doesn't, different/another problem, how are they turning by hand, it wont have a starting handle even if it has a dog nut,  are you using a spanner on dog nut on crank end then woodruff key on front pulley which also locks cam chain lower sprocket but this won't cause a big gap at rockers, only put camshaft out of sequence.most likely dropped valve seats, remedy exchange head a day's work John

What I could see they used big adjustables on the crank pulley 

Whatever it is a strip down will reveal all ! only problem is how soon can they do this i don't for one moment believe they are standing around with no work, especially at start of the season, please keep us informed as it's a bit of a conundrum. John

• 4 weeks later...

Not up and running yet. 
Richardsons have found an engine, needs testing. 
Trying to remain calm but sitting week after week on mooring is hurting. 
more so I can’t get a pump out or a hot shower!

Others have suggested the legal route because sales like this still come under fit for purpose but I like my mooring and the yard and it’s people. 
more soon. 

• Like 1

If the engine was in a boat that was needed out on hire it most likely would have been sorted in a matter of days.

I had been considering taking a look at what Richardsons had on offer ex hire wise but not after reading this.  The engine failing is unfortunate but leaving a customer over a month with no resolution is very very poor in my opinion. 

• Sad 1

Hi Cheesey Have Richardson's been able to say what the problem with the engine is and what caused it? It's good that you have the best boatyard on the job, it can be difficult to access parts for old engines quickly, are you living on the boat? and with covid being with us i guess the ablution block is temperately closed, have you asked if you could be a exception and be able to us it, i found that having a separate diesel fueled water heater was very cost effective along with being environmentally friendly and was able to run a small heating rail in the shower compartment along, and with a imersian heater for when on a electric mooring two off the most used items that paid for them selves as we often moored for several days in one place, all the best . John John

1 hour ago, annv said:

Hi Cheesey Have Richardson's been able to say what the problem with the engine is and what caused it? It's good that you have the best boatyard on the job, it can be difficult to access parts for old engines quickly, are you living on the boat? and with covid being with us i guess the ablution block is temperately closed, have you asked if you could be a exception and be able to us it, i found that having a separate diesel fueled water heater was very cost effective along with being environmentally friendly and was able to run a small heating rail in the shower compartment along, and with a imersian heater for when on a electric mooring two off the most used items that paid for them selves as we often moored for several days in one place, all the best . John John

You know I am considering that!

need to get a hot water tank that can hold an immersion heater as my one is custom made but what you say makes sense and saves running the engine. 
As to the engine they went straight for replacement. 

There are all sorts of ways of looking at things, agreed. It just seems best for all concerned to have those discussions privately and face to face in order that the best outcome can be achieved with no publicly stated intentions.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I of course hope you get the issue resolved sooner the better but am intrigued as to what caused the failure

Griff

Me too, not to cast blame just to understand the symptoms as they were a bit confusing.

22 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Me too, not to cast blame just to understand the symptoms as they were a bit confusing.

Me three. Am interested from a learning point of view. I have a number of bmc powered boats so anything that helps with my maintenance is very welcome.

• Like 1