Rear Boat Cameras

Andrewcook

17 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Why can they fit Rear Reversing Boat Camera's  as they do on most Cars when reversing as I've got mine very handy to have indeed as it saves all the hassle like when mooring Stern on.

We have one on our boat but I think my husband uses it to make sure I’m still there and haven’t fallen off! :default_icon_rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I am still of the opinion that swimmers and boats should not be on the same watercourse.

In which case we should ban boats, swimming is far more natural than boating.

But they are a PITA and at serious risk on the busy and narrow sections.

I fitted a rear view camera on my boat a few years ago. The unit cost around £50 all up, including a transmitter/reciever kit to avoid having to run a cable from the stern to the helm position. I thought, when I installed it, that the unit would be very flimsy and not last long, but it still works as well today as it did when it was new.

It is very useful for stern-on mooring, but also gives good general visibility of activities astern.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

This is one other point of having the Rear View Cameras is making sure your misses don't run off the Boat leaving you doing the Cooking and deck cleaning. 

To resolve that problem,  just make sure she is tethered to said boat on a relatively short line ...

• Like 1

We had a very good quality rear view camera on Bella Donna which we hired recently. The best thing about it was being able to see whether there was anything behind me while cruising. And great awareness of when someone is trying to overtake you. 

• Like 1

Brinkcraft were famous for having rear view mirrors on top of a small flag mast.  I have driven one of their front drive boats and the mirror was surprisingly useful.  You can't have them on the sides on a hire boat, or they won't last a week before they are broken off!

2 hours ago, stumpy said:

A few years ago I installed a rubber suckered 'driving instructors' mirror on the sliding hatch on No Worries  - six quid from Amazon! It's been a godsend, even in an aft cockpit jobbie. 

Yes I have one of these too. Very useful and saves a crooked neck.

Slightly off subject there was recently a thread that related to WiFi security cameras and one in particular was recommended. Can someone remind me which one please?

When I arrived at the boat 2 weeks ago the canvas covering the main door had "walked". Innocent explanations are limited as it was secured by 6 press studs and had not been removed in my 4 years ownership, so I guess time for some extra security.

Thanks in anticipation.

Rear view cameras have been a must have this year in my opinion, with crowded rivers and many day boats trying to overtake up the inside, also hire cruisers overtaking when oncoming traffic is 2 abreast! The one we have gives a great view of the river behind but is mounted low down, so gives a perfect view of the approaching quay heading coming up when mooring stern on. The boat was built by Shadow Boats (Swancraft), who mounted the camera in a recessed moulding to keep it protected, great idea. (Photo shows just left of the boarding ladder.)

IMG_20200922_1705124.jpg

• Like 2