Roadworks 2022

TheQ

Meant to post earlier that the roadworks and lane  closures on the bridge at Sutton Bridge, have restarted. I came past on Saturday afternoon and there was approx a quarter of a mile queue in each direction. Don't shoot the messenger. :default_2gunsfiring_v1: :default_scaredmouse:Don't shoot the messenger. 

I was reading a report earlier that the speed limit through the A11 roadworks is dropping to 40 mph. But I don’t know how true that is or when it applies. 

And there still seem to be queues through Hoveton during the day so I presume that the sinkhole isn’t fixed yet. 

11 hours ago, SwanR said:

I was reading a report earlier that the speed limit through the A11 roadworks is dropping to 40 mph. But I don’t know how true that is or when it applies. 

It has been 40mph since the roadworks started with average speed cameras and single lane contraflow, this will continue till they are finished late 2023.

Fred

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SwanR said:

And there still seem to be queues through Hoveton during the day so I presume that the sinkhole isn’t fixed yet. 

The roadworks at Newmarket on the A14 near the split with the A11, that have been in place since March 2021 to upgrade the central reservation and replace crash barriers (that were originally advertised to be completed in August 2021) have recently had the speed limit lowered from 50 to 40mph.  The signage now shows completion by November 2022.  Not sure what’s actually happening as all signs of activity seem to have stopped.  I’ve not seen plant or workers there for a few weeks now, so I’m guessing that it’s being used by the authorities as traffic calming.

Could only happen in the UK.  The French could have built a new road in two years, never mind replace some crash barrier! 😡

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TheQ said:

The EDP announced the hole in the Wroxham road would be filled and complete yesterday...

It isn't.... the lights are still there and the new tarmac has a distinct dip in it..

Yep definate dip. lights gone so got full benefit of the suspension test tonight

Wroxham again- far from getting better they continue over the weekend. Not that anyone will be working then. Supposedly up until the 4th - until they start again!!!!

I do wonder whether the companies concerned are actually capable of sorting the problems out!!!

round london, councils are very strict on their opening notices, a 10 day notice means 10 days, fines are levied if the roadworks overrun, and time is allowed between works. we have recieved a fine for digging 1m past the boundary of the permit area 1 day before the works moved to the next adjacent area. some areas will only allow shorter periods, and lane closures, the worse i have seen is a lane closure charge in front of marble arch at over £2500 per lane per day.

Just thought you guys might like an update on the Wroxham roadworks which were clearly finished yesterday I guess, but the little man is still sitting in his van watching the lights changing, and not a workman in sight!!

On the NCC site it says the roadworks are until tomorrow so I suppose we have to endure another day of this crass stupidity, driving slowly through the lights, looking at a filled in hole, which wasn't really big enough to warrant lights in the first place!! Why cannot the man just ring his boss and say the lights are no longer required and that they are just causing a hold up for the sake of it? Perhaps he was busy reading the Sun but  he must have finished that by 9 - 9.30??? How much fuel and time was wasted today alone?

Unbelievable!!

A few weeks back roadworks on the A149 at Stalham were completed on a Friday but the traffic lights stayed in place until the following Monday. There is something badly wrong in the UK these days

43 minutes ago, Heron said:

A few weeks back roadworks on the A149 at Stalham were completed on a Friday but the traffic lights stayed in place until the following Monday. There is something badly wrong in the UK these days

Totally agree.

My biggest bugbear is traffic lights going in on Friday and no work started until At least Monday.

Bit different to other parts of the country where roadworks are carried out at night.

Bit frustrating for us night workers but the best way to do it.

it really isnt good enough, I recently heard of a case where the work was finished, the traffic control company was informed, but never passed on the word to the removal team. the lights were just after a bend, and additional signeage had been added round the bend, but the man on the lights was not informed, so didnt include them in a daily inspection. so with the work complete, the council man who mowed the verges removed the signs around the bend to mow, and didnt replace them, the signs werent checked, and a cyclist came tearing down the road, head down legs pumping, around the corner, and didnt look up until he was about 1 second away from ploughing into the back of a stationary lorry, killing him outright.

the lesson we learned here was that as soon as the traffic management is no longer needed, it should be removed.

that wasnt the single cause of this tragedy, but it was one thing that could possibly have averted it.

24 minutes ago, gancanny said:

has the roadworks at sutton bridge finished yet, or do i need to detour

There's still some temporary lights there but not in use mon/tues when we passed so no hold ups.

The next thing is going to be overnight closures on the A17 near Cranwell that are ongoing for the next 5 weeks

• Thanks 1