Mobile Signal In Horning

SwanR

I was reading yesterday that at the moment you can only pay by cash if you want to buy a ticket to ride the trip boat from Horning. You can pay by card online but the mobile signal isn’t good enough at the moment to pay by card on the spot. 

Well here’s probably why from the local MP. 

*** PLEASE DO SHARE - IMPORTANT UPDATE ***

📶 Normal for Norfolk! … the missing mobile signal in Horning and the surrounding area has been solved. 

After weeks of no one having a mobile signal in the Horning and surrounding area, my office has tracked down what has happened. 

🪶It’s down to nesting seagulls….

The old site of the Horning O2 mast is having some building work done, so O2 erected a temporary mast, whilst the old one is out of action.  

🪺 Unfortunately a seagull has decided to build a nest on the new transmitter and lay its eggs. 

Seagulls are protected by the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. The mobile engineers therefore can’t move or touch the nest. 

👉 This means that until the middle of August, when the chicks leave, the engineers can’t finish off wiring and turning on the new transmitter. 

I’m still talking to O2 as we sort this out. 

📻 I’ll be on BBC Radio Norfolk talking about this and the problems it’s causing with emergency calls and businesses not able to take payments.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

This question has just been raised in The House by Norman Baker, MP for North Norfolk, during PMQs.

He questioned how the safety of seagulls could be given priority over those on holiday on the Broads who, when in some distress, may find themselves out of contact with emergency services.

As I imagine this new mast is probably sited somewhere in the region of the old RAF early warning radar station at Neatishead, I wonder what the reaction would have been, during the Cold War, if a nest of seagulls had threatened our ability to defend the country against incoming ballistic missiles.

I imagine the standard NATO long round .762 self-loading army rifle would have proved effective.  If not, even a .22  gamekeeper's rook rifle?

And another question :

If seagulls are now nesting so far inland as Horning, presumably this will now be blamed on Climate Change?

• Like 4

If you talk to bird watchers there is no such thing as a seagull!  They are Gulls of a specific species and it's probably because it is illegal to disturb a breeding bird!  Same it's illegal to fell trees during the bird breeding season unless you have checked there aren't any.

Recently we stayed at Tealby in Horning (end of June) and used the wifi provided there and had no problem with wifi whatsoever.     The TV was a smart TV and I watched Netflix You Tube etc all have to have wifi.   So pleased it did work and sorry to hear that others have not been able to use the wifi.   What a carry on.

It's high time that Norfolk recalibrated it's thinking. To put a couple of two-a-penny seagulls ahead of the safety of people and the ability of local businesses to trade speaks to an incredible lack of judgement. 

• Like 1

I can understand not getting a signal in Horning, but not getting a mobile signal when you step out of John Lewis in the centre of Milton Keynes is a bit much! I even tried walking back through the store to the other side. Still no signal.

I had agreed with Graham I’d phone him when done with shopping this morning. I very rarely go clothes shopping, but had regretfully decided I need a new dress for this weekend. I have a dress I would like to wear…only it’s got a bit tight (I’ve grown, but not in the right direction). Not a good look.

I had to walk down part of Campbell Park, below the city centre,  before getting a phone signal. So Norfolk, you are not alone!

On the other hand, I did manage to buy a dress in the John Lewis sale.

Not Gulls.

Wrong mast...the gull problem is at UEA. The Horning area problem is due to decommission of a mast at Neatishead. Maybe due to the re-siting of the Mundesley Golf Ball??????

Nobody seems to know why at present.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Vaughan said:

This question has just been raised in The House by Norman Baker, MP for North Norfolk, during PMQs.

He questioned how the safety of seagulls could be given priority over those on holiday on the Broads who, when in some distress, may find themselves out of contact with emergency services.

As I imagine this new mast is probably sited somewhere in the region of the old RAF early warning radar station at Neatishead, I wonder what the reaction would have been, during the Cold War, if a nest of seagulls had threatened our ability to defend the country against incoming ballistic missiles.

I imagine the standard NATO long round .762 self-loading army rifle would have proved effective.  If not, even a .22  gamekeeper's rook rifle?

And another question :

If seagulls are now nesting so far inland as Horning, presumably this will now be blamed on Climate Change?

"Sir ( Seagull ) you are not being arrested but are being removed because you have entered a prohibited place subject to the Official Screts Act 1911" ( or words to that effect )

• Like 1

anyone notice how through all this they still havent proided the real reason for the lack of signal, they went from its a seagull to whoops we didnt mean it was a seagull, yet managed to slide past what it actually was. very clever PR.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, grendel said:

anyone notice how through all this they still havent proided the real reason for the lack of signal, they went from its a seagull to whoops we didnt mean it was a seagull, yet managed to slide past what it actually was. very clever PR.

Be like everyone else -   blame it on the government.  :default_hiding:

Not this time Griff. The BA have attached a letter from Natural England, attached to the nest giving notice that the feral gull has overstayed its nesting period and will have to move within the next 14 days. The gull intends to appeal against the order claiming that the resulting hardship will permanently damage the mental health of the eggs.

The Broads Authority has allied itself with the local council and has written on their behalf to the RSPB asking for the birds to be shot before any appeal  can go through.

The RSPB has declined to comment other than an unofficial spokesman who wondered just who's side the BA was on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Not Gulls.

Wrong mast...the gull problem is at UEA. The Horning area problem is due to decommission of a mast at Neatishead. Maybe due to the re-siting of the Mundesley Golf Ball??????

Nobody seems to know why at present.

The mast was on RAF Neatishead, it's having to be moved due to the radar returning from Trimmingham. The big mast is in the way of the radar .

The golf ball itself wasn't moved, a new one was built at Neatishead, a section of the old Trimmingham golf ball is already in the museum.

The phone mast on the back of the sailing club was removed I think when they put up the mast at Neatishead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1