Flooding

Jbx5

Thought I would check on the boat at Horning this morning only from Salhouse, bad idea what with the road works on Norwich Rd Wroxham,  water on the road near the boat yard then ferry road Horning impassable  ( Tractor and waders over 3ft deep  in parts ) tractor and trailer taking cars from ferry marina to dry land at the top of the road. I haven’t seen it quite as bad for a few years. 

John 

CC4BE749-0BFA-4014-BB53-C95607C27D16.jpeg

12D98568-3065-42AC-82AD-701ABF0DCFD9.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

40 minutes ago, Lulu said:

"Local business Lathams is undergoing a huge clean-up operation after water flooded the car park. "

Nothing new then - As we all know, Lathams has always been flooded with tat :default_rofl:

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Hey! You leave Lathams alone. I've spent plenty of pennies on their tat thank you very much

Did I just say that out loud :facepalm::default_biggrin: x

To be honest there can't be many (honest) people that hav'nt

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Hey! You leave Lathams alone. I've spent plenty of pennies on their tat thank you very much

Did I just say that out loud :facepalm::default_biggrin: x

As a child, I used to look forward to spending my pennies at the amusement arcade in Potter Higham, back in the day on our annual Broads holiday.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I used to do extra chores and save up my pocket money to spend at Lathams. I would buy the most useless things but I got them from Lathams at Potter, that's what mattered :default_biggrin: My boys do the same but they prefer Roys Toys

We have caused a major thread drift, sorry John x

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

Lots of flooding in Horning. Boulters are 6 “ under water in the shop. Ferry car park flooded and the spit between Boulters dyke and Ferry boatyard has disappeared. 

IMG_4891.jpeg

IMG_4882.jpeg

IMG_4895.jpeg

Anyone know what Horning Pleasurecraft is looking like? 

I was reading this morning that this is the worst flooding in 30 years. Someone at Barnes said they had never seen it as bad as this. More water seems to accumulate every day instead of the levels going down and the floodwater clearing. Our local MP was apparently around and about yesterday taking a look. Lots of photos on local Facebook groups.

It's rained all morning again.

• Sad 1

As I said in another post - my brother reckons its the worst he's ever seen at the house in Horning since we moved there in 1970!  My dinghy is floating off the trolley in the dinghy store which is under the house - the old Percival's slipway (there is a barrier to stop it floating away!

In the 70s the water would be off the end of the slipway - that just doesn't ever happen now!

I can remember one winter in particular which must have been around the late 80s, when Horning Ferry was especially bad. BrundallNavy's photos above seem to appear worse than it was that year.

Have the BA started the planned dredging at the Bure mouth yet? When I saw the notice, I did wonder how much the downstream restriction is affecting ebbing tides on the northern rivers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dredging is never just the answer - trouble is you need to be able to release water from the whole of upstream areas at a slower pace. Dredging merely allows the incoming tide to come in further, thereby often restricting the outflow when required. Thats exactly whats happened in the Somerset Levels around the River Parrott I believe.

The last thing you want is more water arriving in Yarmouth at the wrong time - they have only this year finished raising the harbour walls to prevent overspill. Some people around the rivers emptying into the Wensum in Norwich have been calling for the sluices at New Mills to be opened more - thats ok if the water has anywhere to go,not if its already high tide the other side. Its a  delicate balance to be maintained I guess.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dom said:

I can remember one winter in particular which must have been around the late 80s, when Horning Ferry was especially bad.

There was also a summer around that time when it was bad too, I didn’t see it at Horning but Mr Burton who ran the gift shop at the Ferry as well as the one at Hickling next to the PB told me about raising all the stock up from the lower shelves and baling out the shop. I recall it rained non-stop for a week at the time and gardens being underwater at Hickling in Staithe road on the south side. Possibly might also have been Oulton week in August.

• Like 1

People hear that the average sea level rising or that the average temperatures is increasing and it doesn’t sound a lot. 
on our scale it isn’t. 
if the sea levels rise a quarter of an inch, how many trillions of gallons is that in global scale, and that water has weight and inertia. 
How much power does it take to rise global temperatures? That heat is just another form of energy that has to go somewhere, usually powering the weather cycles a bit like an accelerator on an engine. 
 whatever the cause or what you believe, the climate doesn’t care but, if you believe the projections, this going to happen more and more as the world reclaims the low lands and the cost of protecting The Broads is going to get very expensive 

• Sad 1