My Day

LizG

This thread is entitled 'My Day'  this post of mine should really be titled 'My Week'

I have four vehicles I can use at my beck and call 24/7.  'GriffTile' van, Jeep, MrsG's Focus and of course the mighty Tiger (There is also a Dutton Phaeton and a  Honda 400-4 but they are Sorned and kept with a mate)

My GC Jeep is now getting a bit long in the tooth, so is MrsG's Focus so we have made a decision - Sell both and have once social vehicle to run between us.  Two vehicles associated annual running costs when combined and they are doing no more than 6000 miles per annum between them is an extravagance we can afford but really? Lets be sensible.  A bit of research puts the Jeep value no more than about £1'300 realistically.  So first job, give the Jeep a full years MOT prior to sale.  So in it went to my local garage Thursday, two days ago.  Phone call - Griff - it ain't worth it mate, there is a list of faults as long as your arm - Get rid, don't even bother getting a years ticket on it, it'll cost as much as the Jeeps worth.  So I have as of Friday secured it's sale as 'Spares or Repair' Obviously got nowhere near it's potential value but I bought it cheap so Ce Cera Cera.  It should be off our drive by Monday.

We are now down to three vehicles

Last night at 2330 I departed Donny bound for the wetshed in my 'GriffTile' van as I have a maintenance weekend helping a friend out with his boat. Eta at wetshed is 0230-ish.  2359 and I'm in a Layby on the A1 between 9 miles before the A17 at Newark.  Long story short, the turbo has let go.  By the time my Lad got hold of a trailer etc we eventually got home at 0430.  By 0830 van is in the workshop with a promise it will be sorted by Tuesday.  I will have to manage Mon / Tues job out of MrsG's car. What's hacked me of good n proper is that I have let my mate down helping him with his boat not to mention selfishly declaring  missing two days onboard 'B.A'

We are now down to two vehicles

Back to Thursday again and my prized Tiger is booked in for 'Auto Detailing' (It's like valeting but more in depth) with a outfit in the next village, it should have been done Friday but he is really busy and can I leave it with him? - No problem as I don't need it till this coming week as I have promised our nephew visiting from Germany that I will take him for a ride out one evening.  Two hours ago I get a call the Tiger is ready for collection.  MrsG drops me off on her way to Meadowhell in Sheffield. As I'm walking up the drive to his garage I can see him holding Tiger with another customer.  Said other customer then departs.  Griff - I'm really sorry I have just dropped your Tiger.  Apparently due to the arc of the fall the point of contact was the pillar of the garage door and a set of steps lent up.  Fairing smashed, one headlight smashed, clutch cover damaged, gear lever bent, top box (Colour coded) smashed, immobilizer triggered which has resulted in the ignition system now totally inert and no end of issues behind the plastic fairings that I can't see.  In short my mighty Tiger is not able to be ridden and needs major attention at the local vets (Team Roberts dealership in Connisbrough).

We are now down to one vehicle

All this in just TWO DAYS!  :default_badday:

On top of that I had it confirmed today that we have a Bumble Bee nest in our garage.  The exterminator came round, two options, powder to kill them all off including the nest or leave well alone till September when they will have moved on or died with the life span / natural causes.  Then clean out / remove the nest.    I like Bumble bees - We are keeping them, ( just need to bear in mind our dogs) I shall not be demanding rent and will daily leave sugar water in a saucer for them in the garage but to be honest we both would have preferred it if they had made there home elsewhere.

Should I buy a lottery ticket for this evening? is it really worth it?

Griff

• Confused 2
  • Sad 8

I thought bumble bees were protected? We had them once in the cavity wall/ our bathroom ceiling making worrying chewing noises. The man from the council said they were protected and wouldn't re-use the nest, so I stuck a film of clear plastic on the ceiling 'just in case' and waited for winter.  I too love bumble bees so this wasn't a great hardship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Polly said:

I thought bumble bees were protected? We had them once in the cavity wall/ our bathroom ceiling making worrying chewing noises. The man from the council said they were protected and wouldn't re-use the nest, so I stuck a film of clear plastic on the ceiling 'just in case' and waited for winter.  I too love bumble bees so this wasn't a great hardship.

I think it depends on the type of bee - honey bees are and it a great thing to watch the re-locate a swarm ,not something i would wish to have a go at 

finny

Aaahhh what a week. Don’t give yourself a hard time- you didn’t let your mate down, it was just circumstances were against you this time round and I’m sure you’re pal will understand. I suspect he will really be more bothered about how he could offer to help you in this pickle! There will be more opportunities for you to give a hand to your pal sometime soon I’m sure.

I really hope the Tiger is fixed up soon though- sounds heartbreaking! 

Now, just one last thing- this ‘sensible’ decision making about vehicles needs to cease forthwith- isnt it wholly incompatible with owning a boat????? And a woody at that?????? 

• Like 1

Hells Bells Charlie.

Have you walked under a black cat or something ?.

Hope things get better for you mate and more importantly that the tiger comes off the critical list very soon. 

Cheers

Trev

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the van is a mercedes,  the tubo might be the same as the jeep.

If it is I have a refurbished actuator and a new replacement turbo in the shed if it is any help. 

The actuators can be refurbished at a place in Rochester,  might be worth keeping the old one to have refurbed as a standby.

• Thanks 1

My commiserations Griff.

And I thought I was having a bad day. A RCD kept tripping, the fix £399.00 for new dishwasher. Then I didn't drive far enough into garage and the up and over door has taken the paint off the spare wheel cover on my brand new car. At least it is plastic so it will not rust.

If the van is a mercedes,  the tubo might be the same as the jeep.

The van is a Vivaro, whatever the cost is, it will be what it will be, no van = no job = no income = no choice, not to mention letting clients down and damaging the good name of 'GriffTile' - it will be fixed

I used to have a Mercedes - Vito to be precise a fwd model.  That thing was a nightmare, forever breaking down, failed injectors, seized in cylinder head twice, engine mounting snapped, gearbox faults to name but just a few.  As a result I would not have a Mercedes anything after that experience, the Vito was bought from a Mercedes dealership too.

Aside from that I am battling with BT, agreed a new contract with them to upgrade broadband to Fibre and bring the phone over to them, all should have been completed on - Yes you guessed - Thursday just gone.  Phone transferred, new monthly invoice but has the new hub arrived, have I got fibre? - Nope to both so now paying for a service that I am not receiving, it is ongoing and raising my anger levels daily.

I have just got in from doing a couple of estimates in MrsG's Focus.  Two near misses, first one I was stationary (Parked) in our local Spar shop and if I had not hit the horn a lady would have backed into the side of me, she stopped with less than 25mm to spare or an inch in proper money.  1 x Hr later I had to to a full blown emergency stop as another lady pulled out of her drive into my path - Nowhere to go with traffic coming the other way, that was real close.

Just what is going on with me over the past few days? it's getting to the stage where I daren't move let alone go out of the house.  Thanks goodness I'm not shooting today, probably shoot mysen in the trotter at this rate

Griff

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 3

And so it continues . . . . .

It dawned on me that I had omitted to inform the Triumph dealership when I rang them on Saturday about one of the items damaged on the Tiger.  So about 1300 today I gave them a ring to get item added to list and see if Tiger had been collected or when it was due to be collected.   The service manager at the dealership knew nothing about the situation at all.  Apparently the message was not passed on to him :default_badday: if it had of been he explained that they could have collected Tiger this morning.  It now would be Wednesday afternoon at the earliest.  Two and a half days lost  AAAARRRGGHHHH  -  AGAIN    Just imagine if I had not rang chasing this up, it would have been sat awaiting for collection for goodness knows how long.  That dark cloud following me about seems to be getting bigger and darker by the day

Griff

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

And so it continues . . . . .

It dawned on me that I had omitted to inform the Triumph dealership when I rang them on Saturday about one of the items damaged on the Tiger.  So about 1300 today I gave them a ring to get item added to list and see if Tiger had been collected or when it was due to be collected.   The service manager at the dealership knew nothing about the situation at all.  Apparently the message was not passed on to him :default_badday: if it had of been he explained that they could have collected Tiger this morning.  It now would be Wednesday afternoon at the earliest.  Two and a half days lost  AAAARRRGGHHHH  -  AGAIN    Just imagine if I had not rang chasing this up, it would have been sat awaiting for collection for goodness knows how long.  That dark cloud following me about seems to be getting bigger and darker by the day

Griff

Can you still get "lucky Rabbits feet" from the local butchers?

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 17:26, brundallNavy said:

After months of trying to convince my self I can still ride a motorcycle I’ve finally realised I can’t.  An old wrist injury and a touch of arthritis in the other arm I was in agony after 20 miles.  The bike has now gone but I’m not too down hearted as I picked the keys up for my lastest addition to the family.

Here is Hele enjoying her self a bit too much I had to prize the keys out of her hand.

#topdown#tonupmotoring

CCD0D511-5906-4370-9B60-18F3FF2AD3B8.jpeg

I think I recognise a door handle like that....

Does the make start with a P.... and end in orsche

Oh if only.  This Friday should see the start of better days.  I've been invited as a guest on a free days clay shooting with a few mates. All provided, clays, cartridges, food n drink etc.  If I can get through that without any mishaps I reckon we are back on course

Griff

• Like 1

That's three days plain sailing now so thing might be back on an even keel.  Van should be back with me tomorrow at the latest all being well, no idea of the cost though :default_icon_e_surprised:  Tiger is in the vets - just waiting on word re the cost and timescale on that one too.

Getting collected in half an hour or so for a days (FREE) Clay shooting so a day off from the tiles.  It's a cracking start to the day up here in God Country.  In an ideal word I would be riding the Tiger down to the boat anytime soon.  Have a good one Y'all :default_icon_kiss:

Griff

• Like 4