What Might We Reasonably Expect Of Nbn?

JennyMorgan

It is as it is.

Facebook is so big ..... it isn't going to change any time soon, currently if you want to reach a larger audience you need to have a presence there.

If you don't like what goes on on Facebook don't visit ...... but a word of warning ....... if you stop visiting it you will suddenly find you have several hours of free time to fill and zero "likes" to massage your ego.

Remember Facebook exists to make money ....... much investment is made to ensure that the visitor experience is addictive ...... just like drugs but without the pleasure hit.

• Like 1

I use both FB and the fora. The way I see it, the fora are the equivalent of sitting outside the pub with a few like-minded friends putting the world to rights over a few pints and a twist of shag while FB is more like going to a loud party where I may meet someone worth chatting to for a while if we can hear each other over the banging choons. There's a place for both forms of communication as long as you don't believe everything you read. Just my two pennorth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coolcat said:

"Ask not what your NBN can do for you - ask what you can do for your NBN":default_beerchug:

JFK. Was a very accomplished Star sailor. It is also said the real love of his life was Manitou a beautiful Sparkman and Stephens yawl. The yacht now restored to better than original is owned by a syndicate of keen Med Racers, she still has a beautiful hip bath installedmanitou.jpg.e19da8ae05794f2afd8001f3b164e39b.jpgmanitou.jpg.e19da8ae05794f2afd8001f3b164e39b.jpgkennedy-sailing-jfk.jpg.13ecf79ab6cfc47d5b046a867585c2ae.jpg said to have been used by Marilyn Monroe.

• Like 1

The issue with facebook is that it's a lot harder to moderate as there is so many posts.. As always help the team by clicking the report button. Although the posts may descend into the pits of hell until moderated, I'd like to think the moderation is a little tougher there when it happens..:default_pcwhack:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Maxwellian said:

I hope that too Polly. I use it for keeping in touch with family and local news. Do not use it much to post or view NBN unless it hits my newsfeed. The team have had several conversations about Facebook and are still talking, the chairman is leading the discussion. One thing to consider,  where are the younger participants coming from! Us oldies and those oldies are not bucking science and getting younger. We want to leave a legacy for them to use.

The thing is are they actually going to transfer over to the forum or just stick with FB etc. while each can choose their own poison my concern would be that reputations are hard one and easily lost including by association.

Fred

40 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

The thing is are they actually going to transfer over to the forum or just stick with FB etc. while each can choose their own poison my concern would be that reputations are hard one and easily lost including by association.

Fred

Do not rightly know Fred, but that is part of the manu challenges. One thing I do know that dinosaurs are now extinct, whatever the Jurassic Park movies lead you to believe.

Your never stop the car crash comments on Faceache... It’s part of life now that people are so easy to criticise people’s mistakes.....

I always got taught... if you make mistakes in life you won’t ever learn....

In this case he made a mistake and I expect he’s made a few like any of us in life.. It was unfortunate that

A.. It was the chain ferry 

B.. There was an audience with cameras and the power of social media...

Then bang it’s all over the broads faceache pages then all the comments come in... the Micky taking what is funny... Then you get the nasty ones... well that’s Faceache for you... It won’t ever change...

• Like 2

The main reason we have facebook is that all the younger members are there.

true, but,  we need to be careful if we pander to the young too much we will lose members as the young uns drift over to here and this becomes an extension of the facebook page
.at the moment we have a few young members but if they start to outnumber the old farts and get elected then this forum will lose what it has gained over the last 11 years

• Like 4

What i would expect is the mods come down heavy on those who turn a discussion into a personal attack, purely and simply because they don`t like the content of the original post, thus launching into personal abuse and insults to the original poster, something that HAS happened on numerous occaisions, and to numerous people .................................

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chameleon said:

The main reason we have facebook is that all the younger members are there.

true, but,  we need to be careful if we pander to the young too much we will lose members as the young uns drift over to here and this becomes an extension of the facebook page
.at the moment we have a few young members but if they start to outnumber the old farts and get elected then this forum will lose what it has gained over the last 11 years

not sure what to make of this, how do we pander to the young? Or how do we not pander?

Are you saying the young have no place being on the NBN? 

Its nothing to do with age its about knowing how to conduct yourself, if people of any age are chucking insults about on the facebook group cant they just be banned as Im sure they inevitably would be here after a few warnings. 

It amazes me the bile some folk spout on facebook and under their real name to. 

• Like 1

I disagree that facebook attracts the younger crowd, at present it seems to attract those mature generations whom have vile attitudes and views to other humans, personally I don't see how anyone should accommodate them...apart from perhaps allow norfolk broads boats to turn left at yarmouth and watch darwin do his magic ...:default_icon_wave:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Speaking to my son who is late teens, he and his friends rarely facebook anymore, it is deemed by his generation to be full of 'old people' (over 30's)

3 hours ago, Maxwellian said:

Do not rightly know Fred, but that is part of the manu challenges. One thing I do know that dinosaurs are now extinct, whatever the Jurassic Park movies lead you to believe.

Reputations can go extinct too

6 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Yes, that's what we are saying, facebook is full of youngsters !!!

Well age is just a state of mind and all that.

Interesting to see the record breaking 20%, 120 billion dollar single day drop in share value for facebook this week. Investors know the 10 years of exponential growth are coming to an end, not to mention the mess it has got itself into over privacy etc

Just caching up with the goings on here...

I find it interesting that some see Facebook as for the younger crowd - lets take my Mum (73) and Step Dad (61) - both post on Facebook but not here, age has very little to do with it, but convenience is what this and other Forum's are up against.

You carry Facebook around with you in your pocket, that is a another key difference - I hardly ever use Facebook (the website) always the App as most do, again out of convenience. Just as larger numbers of people these days have a phone and a tablet but not a laptop or desktop computer. On Facebook,  you are told who has posted what in real time and you can join in immediately as I often do in discussions when I am in the queue in a shop, or on a bus, etc.

Here on the Forum, you need to kind of sit down and ready yourself. You have to be the type of person to be really keen on things to have signed up to begin, and then be the type of person to want to get into the meat of the matter - have things to say, be a bit more deep and interested in a topic shall we say. Sure you can use the Forum App, you can use the mobile site as well - but since Facebook has thrown so many millions of dollars at their tools to make it as easy as possible to use people will always use that more and that's before we get to the face scrolling through time and older posts and comments and likes for self esteem building come into account. Why do you think so many people are members of so many Groups on Facebook about the Broads posting their photos and content to all of them? They want to be seen and get those likes and comments and feel good for it.

While it might cause a number of people unease to see what people say and post on Facebook, much of it is exactly what people really think and feel - the difference is the 'social filter' that most would apply around people they may not know in person is removed since when tapping at a phone screen a comment does not 'seem as real' and because that person may be doing this in a few spare seconds waiting for their Costa coffee to get handed over, little thought is given to what others may take and feel from those comments. It is why I take all of it with a pinch of salt, what is said today is gone tomorrow type thing.

I also am very well aware there is a very high likelihood that when you are moored amongst people or cruising along the river, if you see someone with their phone out it could well be they are a Facebook Groupie taken a snap and it will pop up on one of the Groups. As an individual I monitor them for this, as and it is also why now I feel its essential local businesses do too - and why increasingly Pubs, like the New Inn or Bridge Inn at Acle have beefed up their own Social Media presence and interaction on Facebook.

As a community, the NBN Facebook Group often has more active discussions going on over a day and with more active members than here on the Forum. The moderation tools are pretty powerful too, because they are so simple. You can remove a comment, mute someone, delete them or delete and block them from joining again. That to me is pretty robust, since there are no warnings, and no messing about - total control is there so perhaps more use of these is needed?

But then, if you do that there is the other risk - you then cleanse the Group, effectively you shape it  to become what you wish it to be with only the type of people you like - which is then not very inclusive and you are on a slippery slope.  To my mind the choice is stark, you either accept people these days in the main are not as nice as you might like them to be,  or you do not accept it and have a group filled with lovely people which becomes far less used - of all the Norfolk Broads Groups, trying to have your cake and eat it (nice friendly bunch and no bad comments) seems impossible as there are often issues on all of them from time to time.

• Thanks 1