My Day

LizG

I repaired a sound to light unit and a jukebox amplifier today, one parcel taken to the Post Office and the amplifier is ready for collection tomorrow.

I am currently working from home and spending some time in the shed and some time in the garden. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

Yesterday, seeing as I have now exposed most of the garage floor and could get round easier it was the turn of the old fluorescent lighting.  There are three 5ft and one four foot tube fittings.  Down they came to be replaced by three LED strip lamps, one 6ft and two 5ft.  What a difference.  More light, brighter and whiter. Well pleased with the results.  It became apparent though that whilst the wiring is 'Safe' it is certainly not best practise.  There is another job for down the road sometime.  A new consumer unit will be needed and a complete re-wire will be the order of the day.

Also yesterday, MrsG whilst out on her weekly shop for us and two other households called into B&Q.  She reported back that the social distancing and also ongoing sanitising of products / surfaces etc was being strictly adhered to. So much so that she was a full hour just queuing up to get in the place and it wasn't really that busy but the staff were keeping the numbers limited inside.  Anyroadup we now have the paint for the office walls.  That means everything out once again.  Sigh

Griff

My daughter has recently moved house and the large "lawn" in the rear garden is needing more attention than her existing electric mower can provide.  I have a 25 year old Hayter mower, which  I had given to my other daughter, but which was returned because it wouldn't start.  With time on my hands, I decided to try and fix it.

Much watching of Youtube videos later, I felt sufficently clued up to do the job.  In my experience, the thing that usually kills mowers is dirty petrol, so I cleaned out the tank and carburettor. I reassembled it and refilled it with clean fuel,  but it still wouldn't start, Spark plug out, a few pulls of the starter revealed no spark. More googling and some impedance testing revealed that I needed a new induction coil for the magneto, so it was online to a UK supplier of Briggs & Stratton bits, who fortunately had the item in stock for immediate delivery.  3 days later it turned up and I fitted it. Now we have a big fat spark, so I primed the carburettor, pulled the recoil starter and it fired second pull. Unfortunately it ran like a dog, over-revving, then under-revving, so my attention turned to the governor, a cunning arrangement of fine springs and levers. The springs had been stretched and bent badly out of shape, so on to Ebay, where I found the required spares. I also treated the mower to a new air filter element and a new gasket for between the carb and fuel tank.

Three days later, I fitted everything in accordance with Youtube instructions and fired up the engine with trepidation. To my relief, it sprang into life on the first pull of the cord and now revved strongly and evenly. An oil change and clean later, and it is ready to pass on to the next generation once more. I was amazed that you can still get all the bits for a 25 year old piece of kit and wonder if the machines being sold now will be as repairable in a quarter of a century's time.

• Like 10

Another day, another walk, all much the same as the previous however many it is now but quite picturesque...

Also finished my first wooden boat build last week(kit of course), not exactly the last word in fit & finish but quite pleased for a first go.

20200506_210805.jpg

20200506_210759.jpg

20200506_210511.jpg

20200501_135903.jpg

20200501_135852.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

My day yesterday was laying 30 metres of new turf on the front garden, Mike did the fetching and carrying I was on my knees most of the day. I had finished the preparation two weeks ago but most of the suppliers were not working or overwhelmed with calls. I ended up getting it direct from a producer near Doncaster.

Regards 

Alan

DSC_0592.JPG

DSC_0593.JPG

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, Ray said:

Here we are well into several weeks of lockdown and today my mum gets the NHS letter telling her she is at serious risk and should be following the 'shielding' procedure.

I had my letters from the both the local GP  surgery and The James Paget informing me of my inclusion on the 12 week shielding lis on 30/3/20. So 12 weeks takes the end to 23/6/20. Today I get a text from the NHS Coronavirus Service saying I should shield until 30/6/20. I wonder which date I should apply! 

17 minutes ago, keifsmate said:

I had my letters from the both the local GP  surgery and The James Paget informing me of my inclusion on the 12 week shielding lis on 30/3/20. So 12 weeks takes the end to 23/6/20. Today I get a text from the NHS Coronavirus Service saying I should shield until 30/6/20. I wonder which date I should apply! 

I had a letter from my doctor’s surgery a few weeks back which took me to the middle of July. Today I get that text from the NHS which says the end of June. Hooray - I can come out two weeks earlier! (Unless something else arrives that trumps those two!)

We self-isolated about two weeks before the Government advised us to so we've been in for 8 weeks now. After about 4 weeks I asked my GP surgery (12,000 patients) if I am in the 'at risk' group. Their reply was it wasn't up to them and the Government were sorting it. I asked where the Government were getting their info from and the reply was a vague "probably people's online records".

A week ago I received a letter from my GP saying I needed to stay isolated for 12 weeks which brings the middle of July - a total of 18 weeks.

I believe surgeries like mine have had a "b*ll**king" off the government for not following the guidelines.

On 04/05/2020 at 22:51, BroadAmbition said:

I knew it was in here somewhere :default_jumelles:

Griff

BA NBN 762.jpg

Now then Griff, being one of the unsung hero's, ie the self employed, and unable to get out and earn a living, if you get really desperate for cash I could be persuaded to take this off you're hands, not my usual cup off tea  you understand, so it would have to be cheap!

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

I am sure there would be quite a few of us interested.

mind you I have a preference for shaft drive on motorcycles, BMW's or even a cx500 (courier bike) (had both of those on the past) I even had the cb400 superdream (that is until some overtaking idiot saw me coming and put his van sideways across the road leaving me nowhere to go and I took up flying.

I might just be tempted to put in a bid but I still have the Mrs CX500 custom to bring back to show condition. :default_biggrin:.

Colin :default_drinks:

Like I haven't enough to do.

Happy VE DAY tomorrow.

image.thumb.jpeg.33abe640d41f335998d9729cd088907d.jpeg

Actually Griff, l would love to see that back on the road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webntweb said:

We self-isolated about two weeks before the Government advised us to so we've been in for 8 weeks now. After about 4 weeks I asked my GP surgery (12,000 patients) if I am in the 'at risk' group. Their reply was it wasn't up to them and the Government were sorting it. I asked where the Government were getting their info from and the reply was a vague "probably people's online records".

A week ago I received a letter from my GP saying I needed to stay isolated for 12 weeks which brings the middle of July - a total of 18 weeks.

I believe surgeries like mine have had a "b*ll**king" off the government for not following the guidelines.

If you get the NHS text now, you’ll be out on parole two weeks earlier too. 😁

• Like 1

On 04/05/2020 at 22:51, BroadAmbition said:

I knew it was in here somewhere :default_jumelles:

Griff

BA NBN 762.jpg

A friend of mine had one, I had a ride and wasn't terribly impressed, sounded reasonable but didn't go too well. Dreams shattered. A little later he had a VF 400 FD for sale. Had a test ride and bought it. What a little cracker that was. Lots of fun especially over in the IoM with an RD 400 and a cb 750 called Dobbin to tussle against! We even bought Dobbin a carrot to hang from his headlight!