My Day

LizG

1 hour ago, addicted said:

Today is our 31st wedding anniversary but we will not be spending it the way we would have done in other circumstances. Still it is what it is.  I got  a lovely bunch of flowers  - well two actually,  one of roses to mark the occasion and one of tulips because they are my favourites. No doubt we  shall do justice to a decent bottle of  Malbec this evening. Whatever you are doing today I hope it goes well.

Carole

Happy Anniversary! 🍾

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Got to have something to look forward to .... :default_xmas6:

Get that, but I haven’t got over the last C c c c c Christmas yet ( can hardly bring myself to write it!).  Looking forward to getting back to Norfolk Lady before December.

• Like 1

Yahoo, day off today

Saturday - Kitchen / Conservatory floor tiles complete.   Our Hovel inside and out is now complete too as much as we can do until the lockdown is lifted.  I can do no more.  Although once the worktop arrives I can delve back into our office, or when the gear arrives for Trevor's brakes deal with that but until then - Stuck.

That means the garage clear out will commence tomorrow morning.  This will be days n days in the process and that's before I start lifting up the large battens that hide the full size pit, I will have to find and expose them first.  I'm gonna need a big skip or better still try and store stuff ready for a car boot sale, probably have to put a trailer on the back of Trevor for that one.

Griff

• Like 3

I found with my great conservatory heap clearout its best to do one corner, this then gives you a space to clear the second corner to, followed by the remaining corner, then go back and redo the first corner, and if you can turn out as much as i did you will have room for your kit car to come back to yours to work on it, shelving or cupboards help a lot once you have decided what you want to keep, an old kitchen unit with a bit of worktop makes a grand work bench.

Good luck and have fun, space it out over the week. doing mine over 4 days was bad enough.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, grendel said:

I reckoned it would take at least 4 days, if he doesnt get out by Friday we should consider sending in the search and rescue teams.

You'll have to throw him a line or something... gotta maintain social distancing you know!

I reckon he has found one of his old joke books and has been topping up all afternoon :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm Back!  :default_icon_eek:

Wow, only just made it outa there today.

Sunday was a day off - Lazy day, read a Sunday paper again cover to cover with the glossy. Did my usual evening walk along our small river usually half an hour each way, pruned two trees who were getting in way of the path, need to take secateurs this evening, well it's not like anyone else seems to be having a go at it

Yesterday, got stuck into garage during the forenoon, spent about 4 x Hrs in total before the new kitchen worktop arrived for the office.  Change heads, onto joinery head.  Empty office completely cut and attempt to fit worktop, packed in by 1800 - Latest I have finished for weeks.  What's making it difficult is that I want to get a tight-ish fit at both ends, thereby applying decorators caulk before we repaint.  Both side wall returns are not at ninety degrees to the back wall, of course they aren't, that'd be far toooooo easy. Back at it this morning, twice trimmed and its in.  Proper awkward manhandling it up / downstairs (Three times :default_smiley-angry047:) as it is proper heavy and takes no prisoners if you catch a wall - I did, but fortunately the walls I caught are in t said office which is due a repaint anyway.  I have got most of the gear back in but yet have to route cables better and fit cable tidies etc etc.  MrsG well pleased and so am I.

Back into garage after lunchtime, sounded the horn at 1700.  As of yet I have not exposed the timbers that cover the pit, I reckon that'll be next week.  I have made huge inroads all the same, it's our black wheelie bin day this coming Friday, I will be making use of spare room in the neighbours bins, fortunately we have some retired couples and singlies on the street and they are very understanding / helpful

I was looking last week for a two hydraulic hose brake pipe clamps and gave up. I have found one of them today by chance.  I also needed about eight nylon under-worktop supports.  Just carried on garage cleaning and eventually found em.  Then found a load more whilst trying to find a certain size screw - Found them also.  I'm quite surprisingly enjoying getting stuck into the garage.  Coming across all sorts, not found the Honda 400-4 yet, although to be fair not really looking for it, it will surface in due course.  I have found plenty of dead spiders, they don't bother me, its' the live 'Bigguns' that I keep a wary eye out for.  Years ago I used to have a terrible phobia with spiders, I really was a proper scardy cat.  Over the years I forced mysen to grow up / out of it.  Nowadays I can deal with them but would never have one as a pet.

Off tangent - Years ago in the late eighties not long after me and MrsG had moved in.  She came across a HUGE living monster of a running spider.  You know the ones, the type you can hear marching across a hard surface, it was in our lounge.

Within nano seconds I wasn't.

In fact I was outside on the drive with scorch marks on the floor in my wake.  MrsG appeared laughing with the damn thing in her hands.  We were both halfway up our Grove in front of all and sundry by the time she put it gently into a garden.   Revenge would have to be mine

Other than large Spiders nowt bothers me much at all and I as I said earlier, I can now deal with em.  We live in t countryside, I could maybe throw a cricket ball to the nearest farm field (Not tried),  Our then G.R Candie dog a week or so later (Brilliant timing) brought me a mouse into the house.  It was dead but not in a mess, just looked asleep.  MrsG absolutely hates Mice, terrified of em - Here was my chance - Well done Candie Dog.

In those days MrsG was working at a country club / dance venue / large pub in our village, 'The Side Saddle' - Sadly no longer there.  It was only a ten minute walk for her from our house.  This teatime however I offered to run her there in the car which she was suitably impressed with.

In her handbag was the dead mouse wrapped in kitchen roll :default_norty:.

I dropped her off at the main door, gave her a kiss and said I have put a gift in you handbag, then immediately drove off, the car park entrance to the pub door was at least 150 yds - I could still easily hear her screaming at the road entrance :default_ohmy:

'One All I believe referee'?   - MrsG has never chased me with a spider again to this day :default_icon_clap:

Griff

BA NBN 754.jpg

BA NBN 755.jpg

BA NBN 756.jpg

BA NBN 757.jpg

BA NBN 758.jpg

BA NBN 759.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Monday: Petals of pear blossom, ash and sycamore flowers and the little brown nibs that protect the leaf buds of beech trees are all over the drive and patio.  I get my trusty broom out to sweep them up but the wind blows them all over the place as I sweep. Time to fetch my trusty garden vac. I sucked up a bagful of rubbish, and pressed the "start" button for the second time to finish the job. The motor briefly spun, then nothing.  I checked the rcd on the main fuse box. No problem there, I checked the fuse on the vac's plug and that was fine. I checked the cable and that appeared to be without problems, so I set about dismantling the  device. Fortunately it was of German manufacture and about 15 years old, so it was held together with Phillips headed screws. There was nothing that I could see inside that immediately suggested a problem and  not being an electrical genius, I had no idea where to look first. 

A half-hour session with Dr Google later, I had narrowed it down to around 3 possibilities. Either a thermal cutout had tripped and the thing would re-set itself after half an hour or so, or there was a problem with the on/off switch or there could be an issue with the motor's carbon brushes.  I ruled out the thermal cutout as the motor was still dead and close inspection revealed no obvious problem with the switch, so I turned my attention to the brushes. I unplugged and removed the brush housings from the machine (each was held on by 2 Phillips screws) and found that the carbon elements were siezed up solid in their guides. I dismantled them, freed off the carbon bits and re-faced the sides of each on some fine sandpaper, removed a load of corrosion from the inside of the brass holders then when I could see that the brushes were free to slide in their holders, reassembled the whole lot and switched it on, To my amazement, the bloody thing worked!!!!  In fact it worked better than it has for ages. 

Very pleased at saving myself around £70 for a replacement, I quickly ran out and finished cleaning up the debris outside before it changed its mind. At any other time, I would probably have taken it to the dump and bought a replacement from our local DIY megastore on the way back. 

• Like 5

reassembled the whole lot and switched it on, To my amazement, the bloody thing worked!!!!  In fact it worked better than it has for ages.

LOL - I did too :default_rofl:

I quickly ran out and finished cleaning up the debris outside before it changed its mind. 

And again :default_rofl:

Very pleased at saving myself around £70 for a replacement. At any other time, I would probably have taken it to the dump and bought a replacement from our local DIY megastore on the way back. 

Well done you, impressed :default_icon_clap:

Griff

• Like 1