My Day

LizG

You see, this has always been my philosophy, that things can generally be fixed, and the older they are the better designed when it comes to repairs, and 9 times out of 10 the fault is something simple, like stuck brushes.

For anyone with even a little engineering or mechanical skill repairs are always an option.

• Like 2

My day started with going down to the workshop, I have a lot of trees in the garden, i have one less as a 50 foot one has decided to half fall over, only saved from crashing completely on the workshop by a bigger more substantial tree.

Having cut off some smaller branches I managed to get in. This is one heck of a lot of tree and a job for a lumberjack.

Normally I have to wait weeks to get one around just to quote for work but I have one coming around tomorrow to quote. I will probably need to sit down when he tells me the price.

All these trees are lovely but my goodness they are expensive to maintain.

The guy I used to use for years gave it up in 2018 to move to Norfolk to teain to be a boat builder.

Well the Ivy was finally all cleared off the garage roof about couple of days ago,  and holes patched. But yesterday's downpour showed I'd missed a couple of holes,  and in some places water backed up between the layers of the asbestos roof so there is work still to be done. 

The keel work still goes slowly on,  experiments in lead melting should commence today. 

The model railway procedes,  I'm working on a Type 84 radar at the moment,  familar to those who've looked north from Horning,  first picture Neatishead's T84, second picture the model of the building on the hill on Tiree . The actual radar support structure has just been commenced. 

69ec048f59eed5f417b665c2be8dcd3b.jpg

IMG_20200430_190719_1.jpg

• Like 4

Update report from this station. 

The garage clear and sort out continues daily. Which I am 'enjoying' surprisingly

There's one thing for sure, the amount of metal waste I am generating out of the garage - Some scrap metal collector will be highly chuffed.

The neighbours are helping out by allowing me to utilise there black wheelie bins as I did on Friday - Grateful

Of course I am finding all sorts of items / gear that I had forgotten we had.  Some is being sold, some being given away, some kept back for a car boot sale one day if ever, loads slung out

I have a growing pile of non toxic burnable waste - Wood of various sorts - That I will eventually take to my local farmer who has one of those huge biomass burner thingies

Office - Still waiting on some Cat6 RJ45 connectors arriving, also got to shorten some power supply cables so I can complete the cabling tidy up, I still have to adjust a cabinet door too that I kept forgetting about

The seal on our dishwasher keeps coming loose on a section (No, not MrsG) so I sorted that one out finally, removed it completely, cleaned to within an inch of its life, refitted with silicone - Sorted at last.  It's been doing that for years too.

What else? - Oh yes, the led replacement lamps for our glory hole have arrived so I need to get those changed over too

The front / rear brake pads for Trevor have arrived along with brake cleaner and high temperature calliper paint - So I can make a start on that lot as and when.

Day off tomorrow - Which I am looking forward too.  I am amazed just how busy I have managed to keep mysen

Griff

• Like 2

We were moving house  and during the run up I kept asking  Tony to make a  start on clearing out the garage. I knew it would prove a mammoth task as it was  a huge garage and Tony is an inveterate hoarder - a  fatal combination. He kept shrugging it off  saying it would take no time at all.  On the Sunday before we were due to move he finally decided to tackle it. Within minutes he was back in the house  with  horrified look on his face saying " have you seen how much there is out there!? It will take a week at least!  At that moment there was a ring at the front door and there stood  little boy scout asking "have you got anything for our jumble sale mister"?  A  little later I looked out the window and there was  line of boy scouts stretching down our 100ft. drive Passing objects from one to the other to be loaded into the waiting cars lined up in the road  at the bottom. Sorted! said a delighted and extremely fortunate Tony

Carole

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've just 'Found' a brand new, never used,  in the case Bosch Angle Grinder GWS 11-125CI 110v.  These are about £120:00 on Ebay.  That's getting sold.  Proper chuffed.  2 x Remote control model BB firing tanks unearthed.  My two older grandkids are gonna have a ball with these, not so much their Mums n Dads as they will be handed over to their gafs, those BB's can come keen! :default_norty:

This morning, Through door fixings for the handle mechanism fitted on front bedroom.  Power supply cables for P/C shortened, Cupboard door fettled.  Plants x 2 in fish tank weighted down.

Onwards and upwards in garage once again

Griff

• Like 2

Sunday - Yahoo!  Day orf.  That means reading a Sunday rag, sitting in the sunshine in our garden, watching a film of some description. preparing having Sunday dinner and just generally lazing about.  Although I just might sneak into garage again for an hours sorting here and there   'Don't do it Ethel'

I really cracked on yesterday in t garage.  My boy now knows where he lost his petrol chain saw - Discovered it was under my Honda 400-4 that I unearthed so we are both happy.  There must be four dozen original Haynes workshop manuals of many models to move on.  I've been bringing to the notice items unwanted to a couple of my local whatsapp groups and have now sold, one electric chain saw, one angle grinder and a length of ethernet cable total raised so far £90:00 :default_beerchug:  There's yet more items to sell too

Griff

• Like 5

Fair point - Well made

However now up to £115 with hopefully more to come.

Should have been a full day off but couldn't help mysen and ended up doing about another four hours sorting.  Now I have at last started it about six days ago, I can't seem to stop

Latest find is a pair of full leather walking boots, modern ones still boxed up!  My size.  How on earth did they get stowed away in the blasted garage then?   Sigh.  Still,  ever the optimist they will come in handy when my present ones wear out, that'll be ages down t river even though they get used regularly

Also found about a dozen 3M face masks, brand new.  They will come in handy during the current climate

Griff

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Also found about a dozen 3M face masks, brand new.  They will come in handy during the current climate

Griff

Obviously friends of the angle grinder!

• Like 1

having a beard, i have never found face masks that either fit or are effective, my face protection when doing serious angle grinding (sword making) was an old full face crash helmet, the beard in the neck opening formed a very effective dust filter, and the visor managed to stop even the most stubborn sparks from getting in my eyes unlike safety glasses that never really fit around my spectacles. interestingly when i disassembled my shed years later when my parents wanted to build a garage there, the walls in the area where grinding took place had a layer of grinding scale nearly 1/2 thick,  it was even 1/4" thick on some of the glass in the windows.

• Like 1

So we actually did something boaty! We got Luna’s winter cover out as we had taken it off in a bit of a rush in damp weather and wanted to check it hadnt gone mouldy then refolded it so its easier to put back on.  It’s very heavy and 30ft long but as you can see we had an additional deckhand to assist ... then back in situ under the stairs ready for the winter.

F0F8AA71-CD30-4C80-B94B-7EFFD0483E25.jpeg

C5725782-7660-4282-BFF2-9877ACF98B0D.jpeg

1FF5A4FA-E972-4525-9B18-AB3F696F11CF.jpeg

• Like 3