Bbc Pay

Words fail me. Chris Evans the highest paid presenter ..... over £2,000,000 per year.

I've never met anyone who likes or rates him!

Time I think to end the archaic tv licence fee. Why should I pay such salaries for what can only be described as medioca presenters.

• Like 6

Hi Smellyloo,

How many TV programs do you watch on the BBC? I can only think of a one or two we watch on a weekly basis. 

I am glad we have not watched Doctor Who for more years than I can remember or I could be among the other people who are up in arms over the proposed female Doctor Who.

Regarding Chris Evens, I always thought he was a prat from first hearing or seeing him from his early days on radio/TV.

Regards

Alan

• Like 7

The thing that annoys me most about Chris Evans (and Steve Wright too) is that they will insist on interrupting the music and talking over every song before its finished. I suppose it's 'personality radio' which the BBC seems keen to foist on us. Still suppose some people must like them! :-) 

• Like 3

Just now, NorfolkNog said:

The thing that annoys me most about Chris Evans (and Steve Wright too) is that they will insist on interrupting the music and talking over every song before its finished. I suppose it's 'personality radio' which the BBC seems keen to foist on us. Still suppose some people must like them! :-) 

Namely Chris Evans and Steve Wright!

• Like 2

I can't stand Steve Wright, he thinks he's the funniest man alive, but nobody else does, he interrupts songs, his guests, anything, and is intent on talking about himself every time he has a guest on.

Evans, I dislike less so, but I wouldn't find myself choosing to listen to him.

neither a worth a fraction of what they're paid though.

met Jonathon Ross in Brighton a few weeks back, he was genuinely a nice guy though.

IMG_4124.JPG

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

they will insist on interrupting the music and talking over every song before its finished.

A bit off the subject, but I remember when I used to go to Willmotts on Prince of Wales Rd to spend my pocket money on the latest 45RPM single. Those were the days when record sales for the "top ten" mean't just that.

The DJs on pirate radio and Radio One would always talk over the end of a record, so that you couldn't record all of it, straight off the radio. I imagine that they still do this, to try and protect performing rights.

The thing is the money that goes to these 'stars' is small compared to the other money that goes on the services - services I consume daily like the BBC News App, or you might go and find a recipe on BBC Food for how to roast a chicken, or make pancakes but don't think much about how peoples Licenses have contributed to that being available to use when you wanted to.

It also pays for the local and national radio stations, local news you might watch and the like - so that individual present or individual show needs to be taken into context with a far larger picture.

I don't mind the 'TV License' as actually, it is pretty cheap for what you get, and I also think Netflix and Amazon Prime Video are good value - no adverts in those programs either, great selection of films etc which then makes the likes of Sky where you pay a great deal, have adverts on top of it seem such poor value.

• Like 7

Well I think the TV licence should be stopped immediately and we can all spend that huge amount going out each year on something better.    Who in their right mind would miss any of the crap in that list.   Talent , talent I have more talent in my little toe.   They are all self opinionated ,buffoons most of them.     As for news readers etc getting £200,000 a year,   tell that to a miner.

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

For anyone interested in the BBC pay structure, here is a link:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40653861

Regards

Alan

It isn't also worth noting that being paid £2million per year will mean he pays near as makes no difference £1million in tax per year, which is more than most of us pay in our lifetime. He pays it a year. 

And due to his popularity, the revenue gained from selling advertising space on his very popular show would easily see to the other million. 

• Like 1

Those little charmers from the TV License people wrote to me about my 'claim' not to watch television as though I was abnormal for not watching. Their threatening letter went on to ask me questions about how I 'consumed' entertainment. As though television was the only kind of entertainment, was some kind of drug and I had to be getting a fix somehow. The follow-up letter told me to 'state reason for not watching' and 'we will revisit your claim next year'.

Of course, I had to reply and quoted Australian comedian Steve Hughes. 'Dear TV Licensing Authority I don't watch television because I'm intelligent and I have a temper."

The TV Licensing Authority wrote back "We have amended our records but will send someone to your home to check your claim." So I wrote back again. "Dear TV Licensing Authority, although I enjoy the odd quiz you don't employ anyone clever enough to make it a fair contest." I was on safe ground here...Mike Chameleon is far too busy to be working for the TV Licensing people.

The TV Licensing Authority wrote back. "We have amended our records. There is no need for further correspondence.". Well, I was very annoyed by this so I wrote back immediately. "Dear TV Licensing Authority there is certainly a need for further correspondence. I don't watch television, consequently, I've got time on my hands. How about a game of postal chess?"

They've not written back. Perhaps I used up their postage budget? 

• Like 8

I actually think that the BBC probably makes the best documentary in the World. I do watch alot of programmes on BBC4.

Like Robin I use their News App daily but also Reuters and Bloomberg to try to get the balanced view.

I do not think anyone could argue that BBC nature programmes are not outstanding.

My comms bill mobile + BT runs at about £800 per annum so the licence is good value imho.

As for the high earners, I don't listen or watch hardly any of them but as stated above a lot of folk do, poor souls.

• Like 1

I find almost all of the so-called "stars" totally detestable. If it were up to me, the BBC would be privatised and the license fee abolished. The old rejoinder that the BBC is the only organisation that can provide unbiased, trusted  coverage of UK and world events is a joke and there are few programmes that it makes, which could not be made better and cheaper by others. The idea that you have to pay a license fee just to watch TV belongs in the soviet era.

Get rid of it, I say.

• Like 5

Celebrities are commodities these days.  Magazines pay already overpaid stars huge sums to print photos of their weddings, footballers on £200,000 PER WEEK are commonplace, pop stars earn fortunes and formula 1 drivers are paid a million pounds per race.

Is it justified?  Probably not, but this is the society in which we now live.  For £3 per week (roughly), I have access to tv and radio entertainment 24 hours per day, seven days per week.  Compared to the exorbitant cost of Sky, I think its pretty good value.  If the BBC didn't pay competitive salaries, employed second rate presenters and were unable to show some good programmes, we would still complain.  I enjoy watching tv without adverts and long may it stay that way.

There are over inflated, disproportionate salaries paid to people in all walks of life - check out the bonuses paid to bankers,  even when they make substantial losses.

I wonder how many of us would turn down the opportunity to earn that kind of money if we were fortunate enough to be in their shoes?  Call me mercenary,  if you like, but I'd be first in the queue.  Perhaps then I could afford my dream of owning my own boat on the Broads.

• Like 7

What rips my knitting :default_blink:, is multi millionaire celebrities poking at our conscience to part with our hard earned for the latest sad cause.  They ( I confidently imagine) would run  if you offered 10% of our monthly income if they contributed 10 % ot theirs.

Did Sir :default_dry:Terry Wogan not recieve £150 000 for his children in need appearance one year , and spat the dummy when someone challenged him on it?

But , if they are daft enough to pay it, not many would turn it down.

• Like 4

I think that many celebs actually give not only a lot of money but their time to many good causes but do not shout it from the roof tops.

When George Michael passed away I made mention of the time and money on this forum while the gutter press was still muck raking through his troubled life before they found he gave away countless millions. It was just that I was privy to the fact that he was a huge giver.

I think most high earners in the public eye do give back.

• Like 2

Don't forget those salaries the BBC showed were only for directly employed talent not for those folks like Graham Norton whose own production company makes his chat show. Or for those who have registered companies employing them so they don't get paid directly. Dimbleby, Mary (the saint) Berry.

IMO the issue with the Biased Broadcasting Corporation is not the money payed to talent (we couild always force the BBC to use redcoats or blue coats on minimum wage remember). But the money it pays itself. Countless Talentless "management officials "directly managing Scottish Football Association, awarding themsleves ridiculous bonuses (for what??) who couldn't get a management  job in the real world after their 2:2 History of Medieval Art degree from Wetminster Uni (deliberate) was deemed barely relevant to a life of professional management skills.

I have been coming across such useless oxygen thieves my entire career. Self reflection and Humility are just dictionary entries for these people. Some of them end up at the DWP or the Overseas Aid department too.

But don't lose heart these folks exist in other countries too, The Germans even have a word for them Beampters....  So its not just us...

On a lighter note just to see I do have a nice side. I actually received a NICE email from the Swiss Tax people. It said "we are sorry you have not received your tax rebate for 2015 by now, however we are runing late with our assessments and we apologise and ask that you have patience we will send this to you in due course, of course with the 3% interest added".

Can anyone imagine the HMRC sending such an email? No me niether. 

What a nice thought...

• Like 1