Ranworth Island

snunn

The £10 a night goes towards the cultivation of goose poop , must be successful as the island is covered in it !!!!!

i think they charge the £10 fee because they know that if people leave it late they won’t be able to moor on the staithe so have little choice left to them but to pay up , that said if they bothered to clean up the goose poo then I would moor there as it is a most peaceful spot and the vista in the morning is stunning  

• Like 4

So who pays for the renewal costs for the quay heading when required? Although generally the geese keep it short, I have seen the grass being mown as well. 

I suppose in all the circumstances you would perhaps prefer it fell into disrepair and overgrown so no one could moor there? Whilst I agree that the geese do make a mess, has anyone any idea how you clean up the mess as suggested?

I am no lover the people who own it but do all those of you who do object to paying the fee, really expect it for nothing? It is only ever occupied in the peak months and I doubt there is much, if any profit in it. If I recollect correctly piling is pretty pricey these days - anyone got a recent figure per metre??

And of course you can always mudweight for free!!

• Like 2

For nothing but a Goose sh1t covered transom I would be quite happy mud weighting and putting the £10 back in my pocket where it belongs!

Nobody would have minded when it was 4 or 5 quid a night for some of these isolated mooring places but given a few more years and some just might be up at £15 a night or more.  I don't mind paying when there are facilities available.

It must really put some folk off.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, marshman said:

So who pays for the renewal costs for the quay heading when required? Although generally the geese keep it short, I have seen the grass being mown as well. 

I suppose in all the circumstances you would perhaps prefer it fell into disrepair and overgrown so no one could moor there? Whilst I agree that the geese do make a mess, has anyone any idea how you clean up the mess as suggested?

I think this is very fair comment.

As a general rule I am very much against the charging of overnight moorings, especially in pubs but in this case the landowner has taken the trouble to make good an area of old reedbed and create a tidy and secure mooring facility where none ever existed before, so surely they have the right to recuperate their running costs for this service.

I remember when this land was owned by Peter Mills, who also owned the big white house on the broad's edge just below the church, where he started offering private moorings and this has now become the present day private marina. He owned the several acres of fen marsh on the other side of the broad, which he kept as a syndicate duck flight pond. Members of the syndicate included my father, Gilly Tallowin of the New Inn at Horning, Ray Bondon of South Walsham and Miles Simpson of Stalham Yacht Station. The only access to the marsh was by punt, up a dyke about 500 yards off the broad and there was no "frontage" whatever.

Now, there is a privately owned and maintained, peaceful overnight mooring in one of the most popular boating destinations on the Broads. At today's prices, I would be happy to pay my few quid.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Having moored at Ranworth for a decade, I always thought the presence, and long term commitment  of the landowners was the reason this lovely place has not been ruined.

We got a good deal for our money, no complaints.

I bring a doormat for the island, and, yes the goose poo has increased....

• Like 2

Preferences to one side for the moment, the basic question remains, Does £10 per night represent good value for money?

I accept that it makes for a "Plan B" when the staithe is full, and that the quay heading on the island is an expense that needs to be recoverable by the owners  but I feel that £5 per night would be more reasonable given the lack of facilities there.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Preferences to one side for the moment, the basic question remains, Does £10 per night represent good value for money?

I accept that it makes for a "Plan B" when the staithe is full, and that the quay heading on the island is an expense that needs to be recoverable by the owners  but I feel that £5 per night would be more reasonable given the lack of facilities there.

I'm really sorry John, but I'm going to have to agree with you again. 

Seriously though,  we never Moor there because you can't get anywhere, it has no facilities, and is a mess. If we want to Moor somewhere for peace and quiet, and are not bothered with facilities, we'll go and Moor to a couple of trees in the dyke (or is it Ranworth dam?). As others have said, £5 per night is more than enough for what's available. 

• Like 1

I was initially with the idea that £10 was a fair cost considering maintenance costs and allowing for a fair profit so did a few calculations based on various scenarios of season x boats x fee. In most cases I still consider it a fair price for the return. Would I personally moor on the island out of choice? No, from my point of view it is much nicer to either wait for a mooring at the staithe with all it's facilities  or for quietness at night, mud weight on the Broad.

Fred

• Like 1