Deal Or No Deal With E . U ?

Andrewcook

39 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

Political not allowed in forum 

paul

its tricky, if the discussion were discussing a political topic in general it would not be allowed, but the ramifications on the broads of a political event doesnt break the tos unless you start discussing the politics behind it. its a topic that will be under close scrutiny by the moderation team, to ensure that it stays on the straight and (very) narrow topic under discussion and does not stray into politics.

as for the cost of boating parts, and maybe their availability, thats anyones guess at the moment, it will really depend where they come from and what route they arrive by, home produced goods should not have problems, but may be affected by raw material availability in the longer term, but really that has always been the case.

• Like 1

Without being political in anyway, whether we leave the EU with a deal, without a deal, whether the divorce is annulled and we all decide to go back in, whether Boris wins the next election, or if he loses it nothing to do with boating will EVER get cheaper. 

• Like 1

As sure as the tide goes in and out, it was always going to be no deal.

Boating will get more expensive, we don’t as a country manufacture much these days.

The broads however may flourish, not to everyone’s pleasure , but going to Europe may be more expensive , and red tape will be an obstacle which may put many off. Hence stay cations might be more popular. The broads could be a very busy place in the next few years. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Graham47 said:

What about diesel for marine use. Didn’t EU ban red diesel. Could that be reversed if we decide on a no deal. 

The government have an unimaginable amount of money to make up following the pandemic.  Forget any thoughts of taxes being reduced at anytime in the future.  Furthermore, job losses resulting from Coronavirus in retail, hospitality and other areas have yet to reach their peak, coupled with the predicted minimum 700,000 jobs that will be adversely affected by a ‘no deal’ Brexit, the future for this country (as I see it) is bleak, with several million out of work and little prospect of things improving for many years.

My own recent voluntary redundancy situation was brought about by the logistics company that I worked for looking to make savings through restructuring as the result of losses experienced through the initial lockdown.  The choice of roles and shifts patterns I was offered made my position untenable, but because of my age the decision for me, was easy, but for others the choices or opportunities may well be less appealing.  We are already witnessing situations where many hundreds of people applying for one position.

I’m no expert, but the financial crisis that’s coming will make 2008 pale into insignificance imho.

• Like 2

Nanni engines are Japanese Kubota, marinised by Nanni, near Bordeaux in France and sold by Peachments in England. So there might be a delay getting new ones!

In my experience Nanni and Beta engines need hardly any spare parts, apart from pre-heat glow plugs. The raw water pumps are Jabsco and all the filters are standard automotive sizes.

• Like 1

The value of the pound will have a large impact. The $ is the benchmark pricing mechanism for most commodities so if confidence in the £ goes prices rise.

Oil is a $ commodity and only a fraction of oil is used as fuel, a rise in the Petro-chemical sector will see everything go up:- composites, resins, adhesive, paint, clothing, cleaning products, pharma you name it.

• Like 3

I was a continental truck driver back in the eighties, before all the borders came down between the countries of Europe, so we were doing full customs clearance and documentation between each country.  And they didn't all have the same rules!

So there is a system, which always used to work in the end, and so hauliers will just have to remember how to do it again.  It will be back to the T Form, the CMR and the French quota permit system.  Now that one might be a problem!

It will also create hundred of thousands of jobs on both sides of the channel, as customs clearance requires freight forwarding agencies, who are big employers!  They all lost their jobs, after the borders came down in Europe.

I think the main problem (as we see already on the M20) will be space, as ports like Dover have long ago pulled down all the customs sheds and bonded truck parking, to make way for more car and coach parks.  So until they rebuild it all again, Dover can't handle it.  I imagine that is why they are looking at old airfields like Manston in Kent, to turn them into customs truck parks.

Clearing the load on a truck in Dover used to take at least 5 hours parked up and I have known it to take 36 hours on many occasions!  Doesn't leave much of your weekend, if you get stuck in there on a Friday afternoon!

I once spent 36 hours in Ramsgate, because an agent had spelt Cologne wrong on the T Form.  They had used the German spelling Koln, but French is the language of the Common Market.

We have all that sort of thing, to deal with again!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When we joined the Common Market, prices went up to achieve the "level playing field" or whatever it was called back then. When we went to Decimal currency, prices went up to sort out the differences between the old and the new currencies. As and when things have changed to come nearer to the full EU, prices have gone up, with one excuse or another.

If anybody thinks this is the fault of whichever government was in power at the time, will they please let me in to their fluffy cloudland. If anybody thinks that it was either the EU, or whoever was responsible for decimalisation who was to blame, can I have some of what they are drinking? 

Be it Brexit, Covid19 or even the mad ramblings of our own dear chairman, prices will go up. It's an excuse to increase profits whether that increase is needed or not.

Then blaming the government of the day for these increases, just hides the real underlying cause.

Am I saying that the government (of the day) is blameless then? No! The government is just as bad. It knows that if prices go up, so does their income. Why would they try to stop it? would you?

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Be it Brexit, Covid19 or even the mad ramblings of our own dear chairman, prices will go up. It's an excuse to increase profits whether that increase is needed or not.

Oi! I resemble that remark. That will be 2/6 please, plus VAT, import tax, window tax, carpet tacks and heart attacks to give a total of £1/19/11 3⁄4d and a piece of string. All checks and postal orders made to 'Lathes and Chisels for Chairman'. And Ta!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Timbo said:

Oi! I resemble that remark. That will be 2/6 please, plus VAT, import tax, window tax, carpet tacks and heart attacks to give a total of £1/19/11 3⁄4d and a piece of string. All checks and postal orders made to 'Lathes and Chisels for Chairman'. And Ta!

Surely you mean plus purchase tax ?, I still have a sheet on the stamps somewhere which I used to have to attached to the invoice of an overseas customer for f they were taking goods out of the country 

• Like 1

I'm trying to leave all this to our business support team but I know complete marine engines will have a 2% import duty depending on what type of vessel they are being installed in, most Broads boats would fall into this category.  If your boat is RCD category A or B you won't incur the import duty.

I have no idea what happens to boats which predate the RCD which started in the late 90's

• Like 1

What shocked me is what we don’t make in this country. 
where I work we use a type of bolt that can stretch and be weather proof. 
It’s used in crash barriers. 
They come from France. 
When asked why can’t we get them from here the answer was that we don’t have factory that can anymore and when we did the quality was iffy. 
When asked why don’t we build one again it was pointed out that no one wants a smelter near them, you can’t build one in five minutes and who has the skills to work in one now. 
We have become a service economy 

We use to be the workshop of the world until jimmy come lately started to make things cheaper then people in this country who then wanted cheap not quality until NOW we dont/cant make ppi masks out of paper for goodness sake, perhaps now quality and availability over price will come forth, we could if we wanted to make many of these things again employ our children rather then other country's children, it must be cheaper over all rather then have ours being paid, on the dole becoming couch potatoes gust so we can buy a paper mask 2p cheaper,  then when they get the chance the price quadruples over night, and as for buying those awful French golden Delicious apples just because you can kick them about without bruising them when we have Cox's that have a marked skin but tast wonderful i dis-pare. John