So Long Chris..

I wanted to share with those who know me on here, something rather personal and sad - but don't worry, I have got a great deal of support and help going on here and am doing well and staying emotionally strong.

You see, on the 8th March 2017 you probably got up and did your business just as you had every other day all your life - what may come you would deal with but for my Dad, Chris this was his last morning with us. 

He had beat Cancer once before, and when it returned - despite the terminal prognosis - he confounded the Doctors at every stage. He withstood Chemotherapy longer than anyone else at the Clinic he was receiving treatment at and the Doctors had to re-calculate the time he would live for so often they gave up trying to guess - and he just carried on regardless.

He never broke down. He Never cried when hearing the latest heap of negative news that would be given to him. He withstood the pain and continued to travel - often alone. His last trip was just before Christmas to Germany and their famous Christmas Markets. But three years to the day he first received the first session of Chemotherapy he said goodbye - on his terms.

If there was ever a stubborn and strong willed person, Chris was he. Sure he could be such a pain and so annoying - you only have to see how we had our ups and does on the visits he and I had on the Broads and my Blogs in which he featured but that is all part of life and he was a truly kind, generous and decent man - and a fab Dad.

I've dealt with my emotions and now it is a case of a great deal of work to do and not get to get too stressed about the discoveries I am making going through his papers.   I've learnt a great deal from him and of course it was he who brought me on the Borads first as a Toddler staying in a Caravan in Hickling and then as a young boy hiring boats. My life will never be the same again, but now I have learnt something about about being strong and will take this with me in his memory and do the best I can for him. A good Dad and man forever missed.

DSC00177.thumb.JPG.cb5aabe70ae1507ec45e53d23a5f0760.JPG

Taking the helm in a day boat - Hickling Broad

• Like 22

We are thinking of you Robin, and as I said if you need anything then do shout out! As you say there is a lot of work to do but be aware that just when you think you are on top of things, things have a way of 'bubbling up' again so take it steady and look after yourself and let those around you look after you too.

• Like 7

Such a sad time Robin,  My Dad passed away some time ago,  it still leaves a void.  

I hope that when my time comes,  my sons can say something as nice as you have.  As fathers,  we can only hope to leave our mark on the the world in the form of good,  honest sons.  I think your Dad achieved that. 

My thoughts are with you and your family. 

• Like 2

Robin we are so sorry to hear of your loss, you are a very strong person, and you can get through this. I speak from the heart when I say I know what your father has been going through, and the stress that it has put your family through during this time.

You will never forget him, you have your bloggs to sit with on the odd night you want to reflect.

Take care, condolences to you, your Mum and your family, and all their friends too.

Richard and Roz

• Like 1

Condolences to you and your family Robin ... sad news indeed!

I am sure that going through all his things will lead you on a voyage of discovery that you will make as and when you feel ready. I think you learn to let go of things over time but don't be too hasty in that.

Good to know that you have support around you. Take care.

• Like 1

Proper good Original post there our Robin.   Can't add owt to that other than to say I feel it was my privilege to have met him. You may have lost him yes, but you will carry his memories and his many plus points with you. You was lucky to have him as your Dad, he was blessed with a son such as you.

-------------------------------------------------------

I have obviously been in touch with Robin regular over the past few days - He is doing very well working through this.  He is receiving help / assistance as and when he needs it.  Just how he is methodically attending to things steadfastly day by day is most impressive.  Chris, I'm sure keeping an eye on him will be very proud.

We'll raise a glass to Dad / Chris when onboard this coming weekend

Griff

• Like 14

Please accept my sincere condolences Robin.

I lost my wife of 45+ years who I met on bonfire night 1966, so 50 years together in November. So feel empathy with your situation not just in loss but she too had beaten cancer only for it to return with devastating consequences.

• Like 1

Condolences to you Robin :-( i know how it feels, I lost my dad not so long ago and it didn't hit me until quite a while later as there was so much to deal with at the time , it still hits me at unexpected moments. Thoughts and prayers are with you 

• Like 1