My Day

LizG

3 hours ago, addicted said:

don't weaken Griff, just remember you have done the hardest part already. I used to smoke at least 30 Rothman international a  day on a good day, I gave up  at midnight December 31st 1989 and have never smoked since, I could not have picked a more difficult time to do it - I was going through a divorce and a house move at the same time and felt grotty on and off for about 2 years but wouldn't give in and now you couldn't pay me to smoke.

Carole

Keep at it Griff I stopped May 1988 smoked 40JPS or1/2 oz Old Holburn a day not touched one since

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SwanR said:

Lovely photos Ian. Haven’t ever been to Leeds Castle but have thought about it many times. We just never seem to go south these days!

Leeds castle is well worth the visit Jean especially if you're a sucker for stately homes like me. Before we bought the boat and had time on our  hands at weekends we used to go to visit them regularly.

Carole

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, grendel said:

i started and stopped on the same day back in about 1968 when i took one puff of a cigarette, doubled up coughing and never tried it again.

Similar to me. I tried my brothers ciggies at 13, then again at 15, but could`nt see the point. I`ve also had some nice bikes, holidays, cars etc because of the money i`ve NOT spent on ciggies. Oh, and when i was young, i suffered a lot with asthma, though have`nt had a bad attack for many years.

• 3 weeks later...

Got up this morning and made Mrs O a bacon butty for breakfast in Windmill Lady's not very  palatial galley. I was surprised by a beautifully marked bengal cat, which was sitting on the port side deck, peering in through the galley window.  He waited patiently there for several minutes and was rewarded by a few bacon scraps. He seemed to be quite at home on the boat, which I know many cats are not,   All too soon, he was off on his way, having brightened the start of my day.

• Like 7

Another day - well a weekend really, spent with my brother and sister and our partners. We lost our dad almost 2 years ago and our  mother back in August. Our mission was to start the gargantuan task of clearing out the family home, where we were brought up and where our parents lived from 1967 up to their demise.  To say that it was a difficult task is an understatement. The sheer amount of "stuff" they had accumulated over their lifetimes had to be seen to be believed and it was squirrelled away everywhere. Going through their personal effects was quite an emotional business and we all felt. at times, as though we were erasing/dismantling the lives of two of the people who had meant the most to us. However, we consoled ourselves that we still had our memories of them, and that these were more important than mere possessions. After four trips to the dump and another four to the charity shop, we had finally broken the back of the task in hand.

On Sunday, we discussed the scattering of mum and dad's ashes. Dad had previously made a few suggestions for a suitable location - somewhere on the Broads, which he loved or from the top of Helvellyn - he always had a good sense of humour! In the end, we agreed that it would be appropriate to lay them to rest  by the "Thinking Stone" - a large slab of millstone grit at the western extremity of their village, which overlooks the upper Shibden valley,  with panoramic views over Calderdale, where my dad was born and spent most of his life. There was no time like the present, and it had stopped raining so we carried their urns to the location and scattered their ashes together in this beautiful  location in  a simple but moving act of respect.  Lightened, we headed back to the house and prepared to go our separate ways. My brother to S, Wales, me and Nik to Kent, leaving our sister in Yorkshire. A weekend of emotional "highs" and "lows" and a lot of hard work, but it was great to reconnect with family.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That must have been such an emotional time Steve. It’s a testament to your ties to your family that you were able to sort it out together. I’ve heard from too many people how going through such difficult times just caused arguments, which is why I was glad that, as an only child, I was able to sort out my Mam’s household effects myself. Mind you, hearing your account makes me think that having siblings would have made it easier, not harder.

I have mentioned to my boys that when Graham and I pop our clogs that getting on together and loving each other as brothers is more important than quarrelling about ‘stuff’.

• Like 1

Well iwe are now safely moored up at Great Yarmouth, after a 10mph trip across Breydon we arrived and carefully made our way against the tide, to moor up. The only unusual fact was our skipper Charlie was. fast asleep, I am justifiably proud of the crew for doing everything necessary when it was needed as we moored up with a light bump to wake the skipper.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Black Horse broad closes for the winter at the end of tomorrow, So Sunday was the Snowflakes Dinghy and Keelboat open on the broad. For which I ran a rescue boat..

Beautifull day, not a cloud till the afternoon and then not many.

Only one rescue, an extremely soggy bread roll wrapped up in tinfoil, Lost when it's owner capsized her dinghy. I removed roll from the water while she righted her boat..

She didn't want the roll back...

9 hours ago, TheQ said:

yes, it's in one of the big black bins by the toilets in Horning if you want to go and get it..

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, so it wasn't waste from a boat moored at Horning Staithe. Lucky the bin police didn't feel the owner's collar.

I once met a proper stunning Jenny Wren back in Gibraltar 80 - 81 whilst I was drafted there back in my RN days.  She was a Wren Writer and all the lads fancied her.  Her name was Pat Britton. I got to know her quite well, we became friends.

In 1985 Mysen and my then girlfriend went to her wedding near to Peterborough.  My then girlfriend became my wife in 86, Pat Britton (Now Williams) and her husband came to our wedding.

We kept in touch over the years.  Pat divorced about 10 years ago, she has two grown up children, lives near to Peterborough

Late last year Pat noticed something was wrong, she immediately went to the docs - Breast cancer.  The hospital praised her for coming forward immediately.  They were confident they could fix her - They did and by March of this year she was given the all clear

May of this year and the cancer was back, hugely aggressive this time - It wanted her.

We lost Pat last night in a Hospice in her sleep

She would have been 61 next January.

She was one of the most vibrant, pleasant and yes, damned attractive girlies I have ever met

We had a date next year to take her onboard 'B.A' for a long weekend.

I was supposed to be taking Pat to a charity ball next month in MrsG's place (MrsG has been away since 24th May).  I'm proper upset and yes,    b l o o d y    well angry too.  She did not deserve this

People - Don't put off seeing your satellite friends or making an effort to see them.  One day sadly either you or they will be permanently absent, make the effort whilst you still have the ability

Griff

• Like 2
  • Sad 9