Mobiles

Andrewcook

Hi all  as to our Mobiles Technology are changing all the time as to having SAT NAV on our Mobiles to help keeping Speed down on Hired or Private Cruisers that have to obey around the Broads  including other wonderful gadgets on our Mobiles we now have But has the Signal reception  around the Broads such as theses  Server  like O 2  or E E or others made any improve there Signal receptions over the Years or not?

Yours

Andrew Cook     

I think things have improved, the main issue is charging this plethora of devices as while phones get more complicated, the batteries are getting bigger, but the run time is now vastly less than we used to get, I used to have a nokia that ran for a week between charges, nowadays some devices are lucky to make a few hours between charges - so with all these devices we still see boats with just a single 12v socket for your car charger, or you need to run the inverter just to keep all the phones topped up.

The other problem on the Broads is that because the base stations are usually quite a distance from where you are, the phone is working extra hard to send / receive data (which it does regularly to keep in touch with the network) and so that means more battery usage.

Compare standby time at home to what you get on the boat, and it's never the same.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 2

On our recent trip we took Mrs Nog's Mi-fi powered by 3 mobile. It worked pretty well over most of the Broads. It always seemed to work best in the front window of the boat. We also take a 4 way plug board with us to charge a phone, tablet and the Mi-fi. As the current draw is very modest it's well within the rating of even the smallest inverter. 

I find the reception is pretty good everywhere but a few 'dead spots' more due to geography of the area like Salhouse which is in a deep trough. Horning however has gone from a dead spot to one where reception is good.

In Brundall on a SIM based Router, I use EE and get high enough speeds to easily stream Netflix and Amazon Prime on a Smart TV, indeed it is faster and more reliable than the Marina WiFi.

I find I can get a heck of a lot longer battery life around the broads by setting my phone to 2g only as it's not constantly searching for a better connection, I don't do faceache or twatter of the like and normally use wifi when needed for weather forecasts and the like.

I can't see why anyone would go to a boat to watch telly either, anything that can be streamed online can be watched at home another time.

We use a 3 dongle with massive free ( pre paid) data only SIM as it thinks it’s a phone but it isn’t . Works great. 

Its velcroed onto the windscreen support and into the wheelhouse 12v. Wires go behind windscreen catches fannies your auntie all neatly tucked away 

9 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I find I can get a heck of a lot longer battery life around the broads by setting my phone to 2g only as it's not constantly searching for a better connection, I don't do faceache or twatter of the like and normally use wifi when needed for weather forecasts and the like.

I can't see why anyone would go to a boat to watch telly either, anything that can be streamed online can be watched at home another time.

I stay on my boat two days a week as I work up in Norfolk and it saves a 190 mile round trip to home.  I need a good mobile signal on board so I can send my days work back to the office. Also, I like to unwind after a day at work by enjoying a spot of TV on board........Different strokes for different folks and all that:default_wink:

P.s. EE works fine for me at Acle .

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, coolcat said:

Also, I like to unwind after a day at work by enjoying a spot of TV on board........Different strokes for different folks and all that

That's right Jeff not forgetting a good meal and a bottle of vino  and yes a good phone signal very important as us self-employed need to keep receiving the work so we can afford these little or not so little luxuries LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I worked out a couple of years ago that the key to good reception is the specific kind of phone you use. Forget the i-phone its as much use as the packaging it came in, the same goes for the Samsung...anything remotely trendy, recycle it. Your old bricks...use them as rubble before you lay the new concrete drive...SONY, now SONY work. The SONY has a big antenna compared to other brands.

Now battery power. Because my phone works...people use my phone. Consequently, the battery runs out quick. I know it's other people using my phone that makes it run down as...when I'm on the boat, all the people that normally ring me up are also on my boat or on their boat a few yards up the bank. Now when my phone runs out of power... what I do is find Grendel and plug my SONY phone into his power pack.

I use Tesco phones for one reason. Every Tesco store has a phone relay tower and free wifi for its customers.

I find that I struggle to get a good mobile signal proper in a lot of places but my MiFi dongle gets good reception just about everywhere so I use the "Three In Touch" app to make phone calls and send/recieve  texts over the wifi and it works a treat. The phone and the MiFi are both on the 3 network.

I don't really care much if I don't have or can't get a phone signal when afloat - But - My new customers do.

If a client rings me wanting an estimate and can't get hold of me they are immediately ringing someone else, unless of course I've been recommended (Normally the case) in which case they'll leave a message or try again.  So being self employed I'd prefer to have a phone signal if at all possible.  This is the 21st Century after all, so I do kinda like having 4G and a tv signal too for that matter.

Yes I realise I am now probably not a true traditionalist or a purist for stating that lot above, but I remember the 60's being afloat onwards, and I enjoyed them very much.

But we move with the times folks like it or not.   I am tbh quite enjoying it.  What it means for me is more choice available, whether or not to use that tech and that choice is just that - my choice, it's nice to have the choice.  Not for everyone I admit but how many of those traditionalists are still using gas lamps, through hull toilets, gas pad heating that produce massive amounts  of condensation, petrol engines with separate throttle and gear sticks etc etc - Thought not!

Griff

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I hope all those that decry modern living, on a boat, tie their hollowed out tree trunk to the bank and sleep covered in leaves for warmth!

Seriously, when we hired the TV was just a large lump taking up space and mobile phones were those new fangled things that didn't have cord tying you to a wall!

We live March to November 2 weeks at home 2 weeks on the boat so modern life means mobile/tv/internet access is preferred.

If you don't want that fine, leave the pubs alone.

Hell to me would be being required to be on a beach in 30c sun with other peoples kids running wild.

Live and let live.

paul

• Like 3

Thirty five years ago I had to find a phone box to ring my office, reports and invoices were sent by post and cheques came back by post,  ( two deliveries a day :default_biggrin:)  then a trip to the bank to pay the cheques in.

Now a days everything is by email and bank  transfer or card payment.

These technological advances mean my cash flow has improved,  the company is more productive and I don't need to be in the office or even the same county.

This means I have more time to go boating and I can still deal with any issues that arise,  as though I was sitting in my office.

So for me technology has given me more freedom whilst still being available if needed.

My biggest bonus is brilliant staff,  far more valuable than technology.

• Like 2

I now just use the multiway usb chargers in the house and the van which is the one we use on the boat direct off 12v so no invertor needed. This charges Phones, mini ipads and the mifi unit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerDrive-5-Port-Charging-iPhone/dp/B00OUK0N26/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1551224319&sr=8-3&keywords=12v+usb+anker

I've no issues with Anker products and customer service is great, charges last Sony phones with no problem. (other charger makes are available) covers the small print.

We have oil lamp ( we put citronella infused oil in it) on Malanka too.

we have lots of high tech batteries and inverters and galvanic isolators, 12v charging points all hidden. Going in today a new galley with flush mounted 4 burner hob with glass lid, grill and oven. We try to hide all the tech stuff, the Roberts radio now deceased, was faux 1950s look. The new galley will be inset into the mahogany worktop. So we can choose what we do or don’t do, to me that’s the advantage of new tech you can choose or choose not to use it. 

Still no bow thrusters though lol 

M