Hire Boats Stuck In The Yards Tomorrow?

I have answered my own question, the EDP quotes the BA as saying that ‘Breydon Water may be closed on Saturday until the worst of the weather has passed’.

3 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

No, but what fun that would be. :default_norty:

Not for a novice I fear! Could put them off for ever.  

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

"These conditions will pose challenges for even the most experienced boaters on the Broads. Inexperienced boaters should seek advice from their boat hire yards and Broads Authority advice is that you should stay securely moored to avoid getting into difficulties".

Exactly what I was originally trying to suggest..........

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I have answered my own question, the EDP quotes the BA as saying that ‘Breydon Water may be closed on Saturday until the worst of the weather has passed’.

Not for a novice I fear! Could put them off for ever.  

There are no notices as of yet regarding Breydon Water being closed to hire craft, if any come through I will let you know later tonight or in the morning. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

I think I overheard the local lunchtime tv news report that Breydon will be closed tomorrow until the forecast weather improves.

I have just read, too, that Herbert Woods is NOT hiring out day-boats tomorrow and is advising those of its cruiser hirers who may be unsure about cruising away from the yard to remain in the yard until the weather abates.

• Like 2

I'm sure there will be those who are thinking that there is more than a little over reaction.

I'm equally sure that it is not.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/weather/norfolk-waveney-events-cancelled-severe-weather-warning-1-6208197?fbclid=IwAR0Xz6ueLvpxSzO0Kv1esw83T5TG3Zdg1iTyX6pLil8jXk3HHJKskhDPhVo

"Mr Garner added said: "People have to be a bit careful with trees in leaf, the strong winds mean we could have branches down and if people are out their camping in nature, the strength of the winds could be quite disruptive."

As others have said on this thread, be very careful about wild mooring under trees.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

When Breydon is closed, how is it enforced? In practice, are boats able to cross, either in defiance or ignorance? 

There was a very interesting post on Royalls blog about this a few years ago. It didn't give a lot of credence to the BA and subsequently disappeared. A good read though. I guess a private boat you can do what you like. On a hire boat I don't think they can physically stop you but as in the Royalls case they would soon be on the blower to the yard who probably wouldn't be too pleased and the insurance may be void too. You could also be liable for any damage.

I crossed in bad weather a couple of years ago. Breydon may have been closed but I didn't see anyone waving (didn't look too hard) but used my judgement. We were fine. 

I think in summary they maybe can't stop you but ignore the advice at your peril I suspect. 

• Like 3

They can issue special directions at short notice to close Breydon. As of yet I don't believe they have done so for private boaters, but most certainly have done so for hire boats in the past. I have rang the yacht station at Yarmouth in the past and been told as a private boater it is not closed, but they would not recommend crossing. I guess at that point you might have some trouble with your insurance company if there was an incident, for ignoring "professional" advice. I queried last year the validity of that "professional" advice and got sin binned, so I won't repeat that discussion again! Even if I have noticed in recent times a forum shift more towards knocking the BA!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We will be sitting moored up at the wooden boat show, showing off all the boats. First order of the day -breakfast, followed by tidy ship ready for the hordes of visitors through the day, followed by a communal buffet with everyone contributing.

• Like 1

I'm somewhat disappointed not to see anything on this in the urgent boating news section of the BA web site.

If they have information they only put on their Facebook page then at the least on the web site they should warn you to look on Facebook. Assuming you have an account.

It's rather breezy down here on the Thames and our local Sunbury regatta has cancelled the racing elekent for the first time in its 142 year history due to the wind.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

23 hours ago, Hockham Admiral said:

But will the yards let newbies out in those conditions, Peter? Imagine the potential chaos at Ludham Bridge for starters.

(P.S. Mods, what happened to over 2300 of my posts? Peter still has his).

John, I have manually reset your post count to add the 2300 back on, not certain what happened though.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, grendel said:

Not sure about motor boats, but the flappy things were struggling a bit yesterday. So today they probably will all be moored up -if they have any sense that is.

The one we followed up the Bure yesterday seemed to be doing fine. And making very good progress. 

Would have been a lot faster if the sail wasn't reefed. 

Actually, some other forecasts have got marginally better, with the emphasis on marginally!  Whilst the Shipping Forecast has not changed, the predicted wind speeds and gusts have been marginally downgraded on for example, Windguru. For those of you who are not aware of this site, it is an excellent one to check as it indicates projected wind speeds with more detail. their projections are here  https://www.windguru.cz/54059

Going on to the flappy things, I concur with the last post! The one thing that most newcomers, and some more experienced sailors seem impossible to work out, is when to reef, and how to reef properly  Its particularly relevant on Broads sailing boats as relatively speaking they carry a lot of sail. But somehow, they appear to feel its wimpish to reef, and it will slow them down, whereas its likely to be quite the reverse! It is quite frequent to see boats spilling wind constantly and struggling, whereas a reef or two would make it so so much easier. And probably quicker!!

Incidentally on posts, I think my counter has been stuck for months or longer!!!!

@CorytonJust checked the Broads Authority Facebook page. Posted one hour ago was the message below with nothing further about the weather conditions or Breydon Water.

Good morning all from Great Yarmouth Yacht Station, Tides today 10/08/2019 for Great Yarmouth are High 19.03 and Low is 12.36 hrs ...PLEASE REMEMBER ALWAYS WEAR A LIFEJACKET.
Any questions ring the Yacht Station on 
01493 842794 
Or 
07766 398238

1 minute ago, SwanR said:

@CorytonJust checked the Broads Authority Facebook page. Posted one hour ago was the message below with nothing further about the weather conditions or Breydon Water.

Good morning all from Great Yarmouth Yacht Station, Tides today 10/08/2019 for Great Yarmouth are High 19.03 and Low is 12.36 hrs ...PLEASE REMEMBER ALWAYS WEAR A LIFEJACKET.
Any questions ring the Yacht Station on 
01493 842794 
Or 
07766 398238

I imagine that post is automated.

Well BA warning or not, I don't fancy being out in this.

I've seen a couple of Bridgecraft boats come in, but otherwise nothing else moving yet.

Even the ducks seem a bit cautious.

Having waddled down to the water's edge for a spot of fishing this morning I really don't see what the problem is. I feel some sorrow for youngsters that have have had festivals and events cancelled today. In the past we just took the weather as it came, maybe not such a bad system after all. 

• Like 2

Essentially it’s a way of reducing the size of your sail. If you look closely at a sailey you’ll see that the lower portion of the sail has three rows of ties dangling either side, so you can tuck up a portion of sail and use those ties to secure the excess. 

I’m fairly new to sailing, so I’m sure that sure others could give a clearer explanation.

Helen

• Thanks 2

Thats a pretty good description.

You should understand that sailing boats generally sail best  mainly upright, so being able to reduce the size of the sail as the wind increases, enables you to stay upright longer. It is a common misconception that the more sail you have up , the faster you go - sailing boats are subject to the laws of physics too, and as all hulls have a maximum speed , more sail does not necessarily equate to going faster and faster!

If it is getting a tad breezy, and the ropey things harder to hold, then just reef - it will be a darn sight easier to sail, and you will probably go just as fast! Its easy to put reefs in - with practise you can do it in a few minutes, and has been said, to shake it out, is even easier and quicker!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Essentially it’s a way of reducing the size of your sail. If you look closely at a sailey you’ll see that the lower portion of the sail has three rows of ties dangling either side, so you can tuck up a portion of sail and use those ties to secure the excess. 

I’m fairly new to sailing, so I’m sure that sure others could give a clearer explanation.

Helen

By using a reef knot LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1