Covid19 Booster

I have trouble with consistency with regard to masks. You have to wear a mask in Tesco, you go next door for a pint in the crowded Dog & Duck and legally not a mask in sight as everyone crowds infront of the big telly to see then go down yet again then you have to put your mask on to catch the bus home.

If the law is masks it should be everwhere.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I visited a few outlets today in between floor / wall tiling, - A national upvc supplier - No one wearing masks either staff or customers.  An electrical trade supplier - same,  My own normal tile supplier - same - Bolloxing issued from me. Another Tile supply outlet, both staff and customers wearing masks.  Our local Spar shop - all wearing masks

Griff

It seems to me that this country is full of numpties who think it will not happen to them and God willing it wont but I would rather be safe than sorry.    Personally I have never stopped wearing a mask in the shops.   The hairdressers where I go to we have always worn a mask even when having your hair washed etc and the stylists where masks or shields and they only allow very few customers in at one time.      Social distancing is still being carried out.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I went for my booster yesterday and I had my Flu and phenomena jabs on Monday so I now have two aching arms. I took paracetamol yesterday before and after the booster soup to now just the pain in both arms.

That is good to hear,  well not that you have pain in both arms but that you have been 'done' so to speak.    I dont care what percentage of protection it gives me,  anything is better than no percentage.

• Like 4

After the announcement yesterday by the EU regarding mandatory vaccinations  Germany have announced today they will be banning people from shops and bars if they have not had there's. A possible mandatory vaccination programme could be introduced early 2022 also. Personally I think its long overdue, too many people are refusing the vaccine for no just reason whatsoever and still want to maintain a normal lifestyle. Maybe a controversial opinion but.....as I posted early this week 98% of covid icu patients in my wife's hospital were un vaccinated, none had underlying health issues that would prevent them from having the jab. A complete and utter waste of valuable icu bed space. Which in the vast majority of cases could of been avoided. If in my opinion we are truly ever going to get to grips with this pandemic, some serious and possibly tough unpopular decisions need to be made and stuck to. After the events in Holland last weekend and the alarming discovery of dozens of covid positive traveler's onboard just two aircraft, we need to look long and hard at international travel for leisure. We will never get off this merry go round with this boom and bust policy. 

• Like 6

I hear that Greece are making vaccination compulsory for over 60s and going to start fining those who don't get vaccinated, with fines being levied for every month that they don't get the jab And the money is to go to the health service. Money talks ... that may concentrate some people's minds I guess but I'm not sure about the fairness of targeting one age group.

• Like 6

All this flowery namby pamby nonsense has got to stop.     if you say to a teenager what would he/she rather do lay in bed all day or get up and do something constructive , he/she will lay in bed because it is too much trouble and bother to get up,  same with these vaccinations,  these numpties dont want to be bothered and they are allowed to get away with it.   I think anyone who has not had the jab except for serious medical reasons ,( not because you think you have a medical reason , there must be evidence of this,)   should be refused treatment - that would also concentrate the mind.

Andyg -  and your post is just one example ,  this is happening all over the UK.    

My husband has just returned from our local supermarket and moaning that no one (that is shoppers) seems to be taking the blindest bit of notice of the rules regarding masks!  When questioning a staff member they said they can't enforce it............... he said you can, you can refuse to serve them.............but of course they wouldn't would they?

My feeling, and it is only my feeling. I think the rules were relaxed too soon.To ask people  to use common sense regarding face masks social distancing etc is perhaps expecting to much.I understand shops not to keen  to ask people  to wear  masks.Many staff in the past 18 months  have been abused.

• Like 9

Mandatory wearing of masks was certainly (IMO) relaxed too soon , Katie and I had not stopped wearing ours when going into shops etc infact it has become second nature akin to the wearing of a seat belt .

We also still carry and use hand sanitiser regularly .

At work Katie has seen a steady growth of patients with Covid , this time round though the vast majority of those in ICU are younger patients not from the at risk group , the uptake of the vaccine particularly amongst the elderly has been fantastic , but with so many anti vaccinationists still spouting their conspiracy theories we still have a long way to go , perhaps Darwin’s Law which is inevitable will change a few of these misguided individuals minds 

• Like 3

Why not bring back the red flag  - sadly like it or not, you just cannot stand in the way of progress even if you disagree as to whether its progress or not!!

There are still people who do not use online banking - my view is if you don't want to, don't use these "new fangled" tools but how many would do away with Amazon, if only because you can get what you want, when you want. 

I guess there are some that don't use Amazon and argue whether its progress but with technology being what it is, I doubt either Facebook or Twitter will be around 20 years - ask your grandchildren whether they use either - probably not!!!

Society has to adapt to technology, like it or not - and I don't like a lot, but thats because I am getting too old but just accept I am a dinosaur - but thats not going to stop it!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, marshman said:

Why not bring back the red flag  - sadly like it or not, you just cannot stand in the way of progress even if you disagree as to whether its progress or not!!

methinks you should remember this when arguing for keeping potter heigham bridge

• Like 1

The Bridge does indeed enjoy protected status.

My dear old Grandad was a Fire warden during the second World War. With a bucket of water, and a stripe pump he was tasked to defend Norwich Castle against the incendiary bomb. It still stands to this very day as a fitting testament to his valor.  

It is in our genes. Members of my family also served in the far East, with pitch fork, a stout stick and a whistle we could be found on the beaches of Hemsby, Winterton and Happisburgh. If not in the local pub, in order to give the locals confidence, we could be found, in the dunes, covert surveillance as it is known today. We could do the job with our eyes shut. And often did.

For my part, as a member of the SAS, now retired, (Salvation Army Songsters) I have not been backwards in coming forward. Indeed as a Captain of the Fireside Fusiliers, East Norfolk, we are on QRA, (Quick Reaction Alert) to defend our Potter Bridge. A HALO response is not beyond our capability. In our dotage we are a force to be recognised. 

Don't upset the FF. How would you like it if we give the Ribbald Viaduct (posh name for a bridge) a bit of icky thump eh!

In closing, don't mess with our bridge.

It is 5 o'clock somewhere, I think that I might raise another glass to those who will defend the bridge.

Old Wussername. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Wussername said:

A HALO response is not beyond our capability. In our dotage we are a force to be recognised. 

I always knew old Wussername had it in him!

This does rather remind me of the famous glider attack by the "Ox and Bucks" Airborne on Pegasus Bridge over the Caen Canal on D-Day.

I only mention it because the original bridge was later found to be an obstruction to modern shipping, so they have moved it into a field nearby, preserved it as a monument and built a new wider bridge over the canal.

:default_hiding:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, marshman said:

There are still people who do not use online banking - my view is if you don't want to, don't use these "new fangled" tools but how many would do away with Amazon, if only because you can get what you want, when you want. 

I guess there are some that don't use Amazon and argue whether its progress but with technology being what it is, I doubt either Facebook or Twitter will be around 20 years - ask your grandchildren whether they use either - probably not!!!

Society has to adapt to technology, like it or not - and I don't like a lot, but thats because I am getting too old but just accept I am a dinosaur - but thats not going to stop it!

I've spent hours battling with online banking, because someone put a block on my card, but the bank said they hadn't. Ironically the biggest problem was paying the banks own credit card with the debit card.

I object to the fact it now takes a day off work to go see a bank because they have closed all the local banks, the nearest is now Hoveton but that's now closed at 14:00 and weekends. To get a full service you've got to go to Norwich. Even then you walk in, in either Norwich or Hoveton and someone tries to point you to a machine not a counter.. nope the card didn't work in their machines but did on their counter...

As for defending the beaches with a pitchfork, in the 1970s and 1980s were were defending RAF radar sites, during the IRA attacks, armed with a pickax handle and a whistle...

• Like 4

Not really a monument is it, dosent matter how you want to big it up, But it could be moved into the fields opposite the pilots office and still be enjoyed by thoses that wish to see it. Important historical structures have been moved a million time before in the name of progress. A simple foot bridge erected and bobs your uncle...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheQ said:

during the IRA attacks, armed with a pickax handle and a whistle...

Tell me about it! It was the same for us in the Military Port at Marchwood.  Except when we had an ammunition train in the port, being loaded for the BAOR in Germany.  Then we were (as far as we knew) the only army armed guard on English soil.

"Not a lot of people knew that" at the time!

• Like 2