Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

Looks like the Broads will be a sell out for the school holidays. Not much left. My unscientific logs of availability show 134 boats still available to book for 7 nights as of the 1st July (mostly from the 22nd August), compared to 572 boats still available this time last year. Just houseboats available in the first three weeks of August now. There are still 3 night weekends throughout, which implies many people have booked Mon to Fri or Tue to Sat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just thinking out loud here but is it possible that some of the big fleets are not making all of their boats available? With the current covid restrictions it must be nigh on impossible to get them all out on their usual start days!

37 minutes ago, Ray said:

Just thinking out loud here but is it possible that some of the big fleets are not making all of their boats available? With the current covid restrictions it must be nigh on impossible to get them all out on their usual start days!

That has been suggested on quite a few occasions, I wish there was a way we could find out! Hire boats won’t need tolling if they are not used this season (as far as I know) so all things considered it would make sense to use fewer and have more control for cleaning etc.

• Like 1

I see Suffolk is one of the areas that could , like Leicester, go back into lockdown https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1302680/lockdown-map-local-lockdown-Coronavirus-cases-near-me-full-list

And all because the positive results of their Pillar 1 testing went from Two between 13-19th June to THREE between 20-26th June.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

My guess is they will hire out anything they've got. They will need to to rescue their businesses. A good way to tell will be to see how many boats are left on the moorings at Herbert Woods and Barnes, at the start of the school holidays, using the webcams. Barnes have only 5 boats not due out this Saturday, at the time of writing. 

I see Doncaster is on the supposed govt. official list of places that could be locked down again along with Leicester, Bradford and Barnsley. I'm guessing visitors to the broads from these parts may have an excuse to extend their stay if indeed they need it. Enjoy and bring a summers supply of clothes etc.!

22 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

I see Doncaster is on the supposed govt. official list of places that could be locked down again along with Leicester, Bradford and Barnsley. I'm guessing visitors to the broads from these parts may have an excuse to extend their stay if indeed they need it. Enjoy and bring a summers supply of clothes etc.!

Leicester was sut down today .  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-53229371

Norfolk and the Broads has always been a popular destination for those from that city.

Going by what I heard on tv this morning someone from a factory in leicester told hos boss he felt ill and he was told he had to work, even after a positive test, they said they thought there were about 15 still working with covid!

If proper evidence of this is found I hope a few bosses do time in prison for it, hardly surprising they have an issue.

If you are on a zero hours contract heading into a recession and working for a sh1t of a boss you can't really blame people for doing as they are told to keep the money coming in, still wrong on their part though.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I am very sceptical of anything put in the media at the moment. The Express article  was just another "something to write about" article to provoke. TV companies just want to find the saddest person with the hardest luck story. I would like to hear the other side of the story of the bloke who was told to work but nothing to do with bending the rules and advice surprises me anymore.

Here's one example: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8474491/Leicester-mayor-Sir-Peter-Soulsby-71-broke-Covid-rules-visit-girlfriend.html

We are about 5 miles outside the Leicester red line which just pens in all the major council estates. Word on the street is that there may be a mass exodus on Saturday when the pubs open.

our leicester office is just a few miles outside the boundary too but its in the middle of nowhere at potters marston. one of my colleagues was there yesterday, and due back again today, so unless whoever they are visiting has been locked in to leicester, i dont see a problem. ditto with our brentwood office, its set in the middle of nowhere amongst farm land.

2 hours ago, vanessan said:

So I wonder what happens if someone from Leicester has a boat booked from Saturday. Refund readily available?

A full refund according to Hoseasons!

Book with confidence

You will be able to choose any one of the following three options if your accommodation is not being provided for any reason, or if you cancel your booking because UK government public health measures mean you are not allowed to travel:

✓ Full refund

We will refund you the full amount you have paid for your booking.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Looks like the Broads will be a sell out for the school holidays. Not much left. 

I’ve started to wonder about availability too. Normally the first week of July isn’t crazy busy, not school holiday busy anyway, and we’ve never had a problem mooring. Looking at booking availability for most of the yards for this weekend...well, there isn’t much. So, will the northern rivers be madly busy? Will we be able to moor?

Alternatively, I’ve started to wonder whether yards haven’t managed to get all their ‘normal’ fleet available due to the lockdown. Hunter’s Yard have their cabin yachts available but not their day boats. We asked about hiring a sailing dinghy, but they aren’t ready yet either.

One possibility is that maybe the yards are focussed on getting their most popular and profitable boats ready and are not offering as many boats for hire as normal. That’s assuming their normal prep for the coming season was interrupted in March.

Just a thought...

Hunters day boats are in fact out and in the dyke! But its is the skippered sails I guess that are not available - not the boats! If you want a sail in one and wander into the office with your card and ask Vicki nicely, who knows!

I suspect its all about the cleaning regime on its return, but the dyke looks to be full of its fleet and if the dinghies are not available its probably that as they are pretty busy, they have not got around to establishing and organising a workable routine!!! 

• Like 1