With All The Utensils To Cooking

Andrewcook

Here's this question as the Boat is fully equipped with cooking utensils as to having a modern Gas Cooker to do the Cooking on the Boat is it Cheaper ? As to going out to the restaurant during that time or doing it once or twice in that Week and the following week? As  to eating on Board for the rest of there duration on the Broads 

when i can get them I usually bring a pack of 4 individually wrapped steaks from Lidls, mostly I cook onboard, but maybe once or twice will eat out at a pub, certainly cheaper to cook onboard than eat out, but it depends upon your preferences.

• Like 2

Food for thought Andrew, do always have a back up plan so if you can’t get moored near an eaterie you can rustle up something hearty on a wild mooring if need be. I like Grendels steak suggestion as I once left a chicken in the oven to find it as good as alive after a couple of hours down the pub, ended up calving and pan cooking. Welsh rarebit and a chefs blowtorch may be worth keeping in store.

I would aim to use all the gas and not worry about running out, I don’t think they dip the bottle or weigh it lol. So, if you don’t charge for your time then it’s only the cost of the ingredients.

Now, the clue is hopefully in the name, but you can cook roight?

Have a nice time on holiday!

We (I!) mostly cook on the boat, but perhaps that’s a reflection that we didn’t join the syndicate until mid 2019. Options for eating out in 2020 were a bit restricted.

In any case, as syndicate members we have more weeks on the rivers, so don’t want to eat out as often during one week as someone just hiring once a year, though I suppose it depends on your budget. 

• Like 1

We do a mixture of eating on the boat/van and eating out.

We always make sure we have something to eat onboard just in case we can't find somewhere to eat out.

The ovens on boats/vans are not as good as domestic ones so they do take longer to cook things but it is still possible to make a very good meal onboard. We work to 20 minutes for the oven to warm up and then 1.5 times the cooking time we would cook something in the oven at home which generally works out about right. Makes cooking a Sunday lunch a long winded experience but we always enjoy eating it when it is ready.

13 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Pub for food every time available, boat cooker is for breakfast bacon sarnies only, oven is a good temperature stable place to store the bread.

Any other option is the work of satan or a vegetarian and both should be banished.....

You forgot to mention the beer!

I agree, oven is for breakfast, pubs are there for everything else!

As for vegetarians, I married one 35 years ago today, (never a cross word  :default_wink:) she still cooks bacon sausages etc for me!

25 minutes ago, tim said:

As for vegetarians, I married one 35 years ago today, (never a cross word  :default_wink:) she still cooks bacon sausages etc for me!

Mine is coeliac vegetarian

Those just ain't sausages no matter what she tells me :facepalm:

• Haha 3

Hi Andrew Cooking on the boat is much cheaper than pubs/restaurants BUT!! your wife/partner doesn't get a rest/change from home, also you cant guarantee a mooring outside a pub, not all pubs do breakfast, we breakfast on the boat and eat out when convenient, cost doesn't reflect BUT availability does, you need to take some tins packets of food to cover all eventuality's. John

We usually cater for ourselves, if weather permits often by having a barbecue. 
I don’t like chips and there is little choice in most eateries on the Northern Broads which doesn’t involve chips, we usually stop off at the excellent Ludham butchers for fresh meat .

Also eating on board means we can eat off a plate (round) instead of eating off slate , wood or something equally unsuitable , and then adjourn to the pub for some liquid refreshment afterwards.

We also visit Horning Chinese take away or get a curry delivered to the mooring we are at (if you download Justeats it will give you the options when moored using gps)

• Like 2

Good to see folk cooking on board.    I always cook from scratch,  have never had any problems with cooking meat,  there is a gadget called a meat thermometer which is very handy if there is any doubt.    I have not managed to kill anybody off yet to my knowledge.     I enjoy cooking so it is no hardship for me.

• Like 3

We always followed CambridgeCabby’s advice on taking a sharp knife and frying pan with us when we hired. We also started taking a cafetière with us. Though they are supplied on some boats, they are sometimes knackered and useless. I still take a small sharp paring knife with me to Moonlight Shadow. Accidentally left it there at the end our our last visit, so it probably will not be sharp any more (Graham regularly sharpens them for me). Luckily I have two more of the same at home.

As Malcolm will confirm, MS is well stocked with frying pans! I had thought too many, but have finally figured out that having a small (omelette?), medium (great for just two) and large (for families) pan probably covers all different owner’s frying requirements. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Any hire boat will have all you need to self cater on board , but I do recommend bringing a sharp kitchen knife from home and possibly a non stick frying pan also as those provided are often not that easy to clean 

I think your words should be printed on the booking form quite frankly and can I just add a decent can opener too.   I even take my own knives forks and spoons together with a wooden spoon (some on the boats look , well shall we say used) and a small whisk.   I purchased a frying pan in Tescos about 10 years ago and it is as good today as it was then.   It stays in the holiday box.   It was also about £7.99.